Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Long Distance Travel

kdmotter

Lairian
Hello! I am picking up my new kitten in exactly two weeks and will be driving about 450 miles one way to pick her up. This is approximately an 8 hour drive. I plan on staying over the night before I pick her up and then driving from the breeder home the next day. I have never driven this far with any animal (my max is about 4 hours) and would like to know any suggestions you all have for making this trip easy for both of us!

I have a hard carrier with plenty of pillows and blankets that she will travel in and a disposable litter box, food bowl, and water bowl. I plan on stopping every 2-3 hours to check on her as of now.

What do you all recommend I do to make this trip as pleasant as possible. Also, please note that I will be traveling alone, so I won't have someone to hold and comfort her during the drive :(

Thank you all!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
No problem, it takes a while to learn your way around in here. Can't wait to see pics on Gotcha Day! @kdmotter

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@kdmotter I never had to travel in a car with an animal so long (cause I live in a tiny little country:)). So no advice to offer but chiming in to sent you positive vibes. It sounds like you are well prepaired. I'm sure the trip will go well.

Natasja

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
It sounds like you have everything under control really. Regular stops to encourage litter box use will be great. If you can get a SnuggleSafe in time (it does require a microwave), that will help keep the carrier warm. I find the warmer they are, the more likely they are to just sleep -- which is optimal for a long drive. But don't be too concerned if there's no litterbox use -- some newly adopted kittens just don't go for a while after being picked up by their adopter.

You sound like you have it all covered though. Keep us updated! So excited for you.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@kdmotter , Years ago travelled with 4 Bengal kitties and a rottie for 3600 miles ..
I think I was more nervous about it then them . Everthing went pawfect.

I used the same travel methods when I adopted two brother sphynx here for an 8 hr ride.
I asked for some of their litter and food for the transition.
I asked her not to feed them breakfast before my our trip.

I Drove alone so a good sturdy plastic crate I highly recommend ( I put my name and # on crate too)
Seat belt crate I use a medium size dog wit a small tray of litter for super super looong
road trips.
Put in a soft blanket ( some like to use a snuggle safe heat disc)
Cover crate on 3 sides with a towel ( makes comfy cave ) they slept all the way and I was told they were aweful travelers.

I take a disposable litter box with their owners litter in it ( in case of long detours )
Along with bottled water , small dish for water or the cage type water bottle ( mine leaked :()
, paper towels , non toxic cleaner / unscented Baby wipes for any Clean up

I found they just curled up in the crate without a meow and slept all the way home for 8 hrs.
Even when I stopped for gas they looked up amd wemt back to sleep.
I persoanlly do not take them out of the Crate ( my moms kitty got out of the car on a road trip and took hours to find again )

* If I need to go open the crate - I climb in the car contortionist style and close car door behind me before opening kitty crate. Double check latches before opening car door again .

Keep us posted on your gotcha day !

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome! Everybody has given you some great advice. We have traveled with adult cats on many long trips. The 2 longest were from South Dakota to New Jersey (1,736 miles) and, 6 months later, New Jersey to Nevada (2,536 miles). Your kitten should do fine in the carrier with fairly frequent stops. I would recommend a carrier large enough that the baby can move around and have a blanket that smells like her mom and littermates. She may be restless when you start out, but the motion of the car usually lulls them to sleep, much like human babies. I also echo the advice to have plenty of paper towels, along with damp wipes to clean up any spilled food, water or worse messes. And don't forget pictures!

We also found that if we stopped at drive-thru restaurants, the restaurant workers all wanted to see the cats.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with all of the above.
I went from the UK to Germany (15hr trip - with breaks) and I stopped every 2-3hrs and allowed Pixie out of her carrier to stretch her legs inside the car (all doors closed, obviously) and to go to the toilet if she needed to (she didn't go even once)
She also neither drank, nor ate. (But it was there if she wanted it.) She just slept a lot.
On shorter (HA!) trips, like to my parents (which is a 5hr trip) she gets to ride in the back in a secure bed, with a harness and seatbelt on.

Have a safe trip! :)
And yes...we want pictures!

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just don't freak out if the kitty doesn't use the litter box during the trip. Mine didn't and she was in the car for a good seven ish hours, and that's not including the time of getting her abd talking to the breeder, and sneaking her into McDonalds so we could eat.... let's just say I looked nine months pregnant with her sleeping in my sweater lol

Good luck getting your kitty and on the drive :)