Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hola Lairians! I have question about sphynx hair/fur.

Through my research, I learned that the 'degrees of hairlessness' can vary from sphynx to sphynx, as well as through different stages, seasons, room temperatures, and age. I saw a sphynx on instagram recently who, like most I've seen, was nearly hairless on her entire body. She had the usual velvet-fuzz on her nose bridge and ear tips, no whiskers what-so-ever, but then her tail was FULLY FURRY. She was still beautiful as ever, but I didn't realize the 'degree of hairlessness' would be so drastic on a full bred sphynx from quality lines. Both her parents are very bald in appearance, and her kitten pics all showed a naked little cutie with a very bald tail.
I went through her IG posts (proper stalker, remember ;)), and saw that this hairy-development came in around January. The rest of her body/face seems entirely unchanged. Her owner said "she grew fuzz for the winter," but it doesn't seem to have gone away now in April, although it has thinned out slightly. This got me thinking, is it possible this new 'do is a permanent addition? This sphynx is only 1.5 years, so I'm wondering if this was just grown due to her maturing into adulthood. Or, will it more likely continue to thin out well into the summer months, then grow in again next winter? They also added another sphynx to the family in December, so could it have triggered her to grow hair by some kind of hormonal shift?

Don't get me wrong, this sphynx is literally one of the most gorgeous I have ever seen!! I will be over the moon if my Kenzo grows up to be as beautiful as her, fuzzy tail and all! I'm solely curious about the 'degrees of hairlessness,' and how it changes throughout the cat's life. What is the norm? How were y'alls experiences with your cats' fuzz? Is it reliably seasonal, i.e. does it grow in thicker every winter, then shed every spring? At what age did your kitten/cat start to get fuzzier? Please share any insight, whether you kitty is bald as a baby's bum, or a fuzzy little peach!! :p

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Okay so, I did some digging after I posted this last series of questions. I read about the outcross program and the hairless gene, and got a better understanding of my curiosity, lol.

I wonder if the outcross generation plays a factor in the ‘degrees of hairlessness’ in a sphynx, and how fuzzy/furry they get seasonally, etc. Would a F2 or F3 sphynx have a tendency to get a hairy tail in the winter over those from a F3 x Sphynx or higher (lower?) litter generation? If you know which generation of the outcross program your sphynx are, then please provide input. Especially, if you have multiple sphynx from various outcross generations! :)

I don’t know how interesting this topic is to the majority of Lairians. I know it’s not as fun as other threads, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask. I find the genetics fascinating!:bookworm:

Josie Ent

Lairian
Hey my girl Padmè has a completely hair tail!!
e294e4203fa4ff341c6524bb69057ef2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
A very interesting thread! And very good questions. Questions I don't know the answers to. I know it has something to do with sphynx being crossed with hairy cats. And with winter and age. But not more then you already now yourself.
So I'll follow this thread and try to learn!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
A very interesting thread! And very good questions. Questions I don't know the answers to. I know it has something to do with sphynx being crossed with hairy cats. And with winter and age. But not more then you already now yourself.
So I'll follow this thread and try to learn!
I suppose mainly breeders would know best, but other than blanket statements about the breed sometimes growing fuzz, it’s hard to get a definitive answer. I’m a google-aholic, so I need to know lol.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If anybody has a white sphynx with hair please speak up. Every white one I see is bald as an egg.

My sealpoint sphynx who has a dark tail has a hairy tail. However, what you are missing in the pictures is that sphynx hair is not the same hair as other cats. Sphynx have only the soft down hairs. It's very soft. It doesn't shed. If you pet one you would see it's not anything like what haired cats have.

https://www.petcha.com/what-your-cats-coat-does/

Zab

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've seen super nakeds and those whit some fuzz, but that hairy tail was totally cool! Never seen it before, very interesting questions...

Bailey21

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Monica hmm I have no idea actually! I'll try and find out from the breeder as my mom is bringing home a litter-mate in 2.5 weeks! His mom had a furry tail, ears and some fur on by her paws!

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@Monica hmm I have no idea actually! I'll try and find out from the breeder as my mom is bringing home a litter-mate in 2.5 weeks! His mom had a furry tail, ears and some fur on by her paws!
That would be awesome if you could remember to ask!

And a new litter mate... how exciting!! I still have 6.5 weeks myself lol.

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I know y'all THINK your sphynx has furry bum but look at this one! She was sitting on it so I had to pull it out....she's a good kitty

Attachments

• Precious 2018.jpg
    Precious 2018.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 124

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
My very first Sphynx was a cream and red and she had a full fuzz tail and feet. She was my soulmate. All hail the fuzz tail!
Your girl is very pretty too
Here is a very old picture of her and me. She is in heaven and I have lost 130lbs, but you can see how fuzzy she was.
279ad4f54ee933f4817b3cfff0effe5a.jpg

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I know y'all THINK your sphynx has furry bum but look at this one! She was sitting on it so I had to pull it out....she's a good kitty
I LOVE her mask. So cool, like a super hero, or villain, whichever you prefer lol.

And her fuzz bum! She looks very soft! Do you know if she is from an early outcross generation?

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I LOVE her mask. So cool, like a super hero, or villain, whichever you prefer lol.

And her fuzz bum! She looks very soft! Do you know if she is from an early outcross generation?

I have no idea the outcross but she is unbelievably soft. I got her when she was 2 and a half and she already had her cape and mask. The first owner told me she was bald as a kitten but then grew the cape and mask during her first winter. It really is a cape and not a full coat because she doesn't have any hair in the front.

You can tell the Siamese influence not only in the pointed color and blue eyes but also she's very talkative. She doesn't have the Siamese voice though.

Attachments

• IMG_20140822_134719.jpg
    IMG_20140822_134719.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 109

Janelle S

Lairian
Our Sphynx came to us (from rescue) with a fully furred nose and lightly furred ears. I was told that she was absolutely “breed standard”. Over time, in the winter, she would develop “hairy hip” - a small fluffy patch that would go away. This year after a particularly long, cold winter in Georgia (I’m from Colorado - it was really cold), she developed a full, fluffy cape that isn’t going away. She’s about 7 now so it could be age. Who knows - but I love her fuzzy or not. Considering my other cats are a Persian and domestic long hair, this is nothing!

Attachments

• 4601DBAC-96AC-4230-BE95-0275184D58B8.jpeg
    4601DBAC-96AC-4230-BE95-0275184D58B8.jpeg
    105 KB · Views: 101
  • 88BB8831-7AAC-489E-853B-00D95874A639.jpeg
    88BB8831-7AAC-489E-853B-00D95874A639.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 107

oolahappi

Lairian
My girl matured around 9 months and got as furry as she'll probably every get at just over 2 years old. A little fuzz on the nose, edge of ears, paws, and 1/3 of her tail at the tip . . . and 2 broken whiskers if you look real close. No seasonal changes. But it's interesting to see the change in the intensity of colouring from kitten to adult! Check out the colour change in her face!

Attachments

• IMG_3137.JPG
    IMG_3137.JPG
    181 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 40

missmonkey

Lairian
Hi everyone, I think they look so cute with random tufts of hair! My Monkey was very bald when I got her, then at about a year old she grew quite a bit of hair. She got very sick at the beginning of the year, but once I(not the vet!) Figured out what was wrong and treated her, the hair immediately started falling out. I will post a picture of her from earlier this year and now so you can see the difference

Attachments

• 20190512_140720.jpg
    20190512_140720.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190512_140849.jpg
    20190512_140849.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 26