Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Long Lasting Ear Infection - Help!

smokeysphynx

Lairian
Hi Sphynx Community,

I am looking for help or guidance regarding a long-term ear issue that my 2 year old Sphynx is dealing with. We first noticed yellow and black discharge when we were cleaning his ears in late September. I took him to the vet and she put him on Baytril drops. Those were not working, so I brought him back and she then put him on Zeniquin (1/2 of a 25mg pill every 24 hours). After 3 weeks (a month total), his ear was still having issues, so she added another 4 weeks of pills and Mometamax drops for his ears. After almost 8 weeks total, his ear still had the black and yellow discharge and he was shaking his head an yawning frequently (this is still going on). She had me take him off of everything for a week and cultured the ear, but nothing grew. He went in for another culture last week, which I haven't yet heard back about, but I figured I would reach out to the community to see if anyone has had an issue like this, and if so, what worked for you. I don't want him continue with antibiotics if they aren't ever going to work. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
So sorry to hear that this issue continues. I only have had experience with Baytril and have had singles shots of it followed by meds. I have no experience with the other meds prescribed. If you do not see results, I would suggest a second opinion just for the sake of it.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
Welcome to you and your handsome boy- what is his name?
So sorry to read of his chronic ear problems :(
Hopefully others can chime in
What food is he eating? Treats? Any changes in food?
Anything make it better or worse?

The reason I ask bcz I gave been battling a chronic ear problem with my dog which appears to coincide
with certain food ingredients- I took him off chicken and potato ingredients amd viola no ear issues
So I wanted to pass it on just in case it's food related -

In dealing with ear issues I swear by trizultra with Keto I put on a cotton flat round and wipe ears
- I bought from vet before later finding it online softer I moved -
You can ask your vet if this may help - I use I to our dogs and cats

When I got my adoptee Sphynx I used another go to product after the initial cleaning with trizultra with Keto-
It had saved a lot of money and healed ears quickly - Zymox plus in the red box- I get online

I us zymox plus on a cotton flat cosmetic pad and wipe ears where I can see 1x a day for about 5 To 7 days-
And do not use any other product at the same time - as directed
It has cleared up the nastiest of ears I have come across over the years

I would ask your vet about trizultra plus Keto and zymox plus
These are my go to products I always keep on hand above all others
Trizultra Keto|DECHRA TrizUltra +Keto 12 fl oz|EntirelyPets
Zymox PLUS Otic-HC Enzymatic Solution 1.25 oz

Several online retailers for these

I am not familiar with the medications you mentioned

At this point it does sound like good advice to consider a second opinion if you are not getting any relief for your boy -

Please keep us posted - sending positive vibes!

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to sphynxlair, good to have you.
I agree, a second option is needed. After all the meds that's been
tried and no improvement? Something, is going on.
Please keep us updated about your baby.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sphynx Community,

I am looking for help or guidance regarding a long-term ear issue that my 2 year old Sphynx is dealing with. We first noticed yellow and black discharge when we were cleaning his ears in late September. I took him to the vet and she put him on Baytril drops. Those were not working, so I brought him back and she then put him on Zeniquin (1/2 of a 25mg pill every 24 hours). After 3 weeks (a month total), his ear was still having issues, so she added another 4 weeks of pills and Mometamax drops for his ears. After almost 8 weeks total, his ear still had the black and yellow discharge and he was shaking his head an yawning frequently (this is still going on). She had me take him off of everything for a week and cultured the ear, but nothing grew. He went in for another culture last week, which I haven't yet heard back about, but I figured I would reach out to the community to see if anyone has had an issue like this, and if so, what worked for you. I don't want him continue with antibiotics if they aren't ever going to work. Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
Just curious, does it have a foul smell to the ear? I have seen yeast infections over the years be a common issue. :)

MelissaAlice

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Just like @admin said I was thinking yeast, I've had both cats and dogs with yeast infections in the ear.
My neighbors dog had a chronic ear infection and in the end she needed to be put on a mild steroid along with baytril to clear it up ..?

Ty Flea

Lairian
If the cultures aren't giving her any clues on way or another then its probably not bacterial, which is all antibiotics treat, or there swabbing the wrong area. If the bacterial infection is elsewhere then the pus in the ears is just a symptom such as with meningitis. Or, maybe the fluid in the inner ear is the problem and the pus is the result. In that case a needle would need to be stuck into the ear drum and a sample of the fluid removed. Blood tests would also need to be done to rule out any infection that might possibly spread to the brain. It could also be a foreign object stuck in the ear, or a tumor or polyp. There are also several types of mites that can cause discharge. The problem is they all cause the same symptoms. But with the right diagnostics you should get your answer. I'd push your vet to start running other tests, or find a animal hospital with a diagnostic lab thats willing to make your kitty a priority and can do the tests in house.