Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Long transit from breeder to new home ...

Crackpotbaby

Lairian
Hi, everyone!

I’m in the process of simultaneously sourcing a breeder I’m comfortable with and convincing my family (husband and two kids, 12 & 14) that they could be ‘cat people’.

The breeder I am most interested in is interstate to me; about 3 hours flight, but probably a total travel time of 6 hours for the kitten to get to us.

The kitten would be about 14 weeks at time of travel.

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with how this kind of transit from breeder to new home affects a kitten of this age in regards to settling in, behaviour, health and so forth.

The breeders use a well known animal specific transport company of which I have read good reviews.

Does anyone have any tips or insight into this kind of travel?

Thanks.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, everyone!

I’m in the process of simultaneously sourcing a breeder I’m comfortable with and convincing my family (husband and two kids, 12 & 14) that they could be ‘cat people’.

The breeder I am most interested in is interstate to me; about 3 hours flight, but probably a total travel time of 6 hours for the kitten to get to us.

The kitten would be about 14 weeks at time of travel.

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with how this kind of transit from breeder to new home affects a kitten of this age in regards to settling in, behaviour, health and so forth.

The breeders use a well known animal specific transport company of which I have read good reviews.

Does anyone have any tips or insight into this kind of travel?

Thanks.
Sorry, I don't, we drove a few hours to get both of our sphynx. :)

Crackpotbaby

Lairian
Thanks for replying.

There are a couple more local breeders that seem alright but I just don’t get the same ... vibe? ... from them.

Hopefully someone here has received a kitten from interstate or even internationally (?) and has some insight into how it affected the little one.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My girl was nine months old but she had a good 8+ hours travel time and she was good :). She also flies really well too.... just make sure you call the airline and book for a spot under the seat... too cold in the bottom of the plane. Most planes only allow two pets per so calling and booking online simultaneously helps. I travel with Astrid quite a bit with 1.5h plane rides and then a 3 hour drives. So from home to home it takes about 6-7hours and she does it amazingly well. Just depends on the baby!
So in short you should be good I'd think!

Crackpotbaby

Lairian
@Maddie from what I can tell this company (Jetpets Australia) transports the animals on regular passenger flights in a separate temperature/pressure controlled animal hold.

It all makes me a little concerned as the little one will have a big journey then separation and new people environment to deal with, but I do think this is the right breeder for me.

Hopefully it woud not be too much at once

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Crackpotbaby Oh cool! I don't think we have that in Canada... would be cool though! I feel bad for the babies locked under in -30C outside.

It should be ok :) My girl had a huge switch, she went from a home with little people to a new home with a puppy and adults, then a week later came home with me to school, so successive quick, big changes. Didn't phase her one bit :)

uberalice

Lairian
I'm driving a total of around 11 hours round-trip to get my boys. It's entirely too cold here to have them fly, even in a supposedly temperature-controlled cabin. If you're driving, I definitely recommend splitting the travel up over a couple of days! My breeder ships kitties regularly, but I felt much more comfortable driving.

Back