Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Longing for a Sphynx since 1994

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello!
I am not owned by a Sphynx yet but hope to be, soon. I'm crossing my fingers an adoption will come through =) His birthday was in January 2010 so he's a little under one year old.

How long do Sphynx kitties keep their kittenhood? I know that some cats stay mischievous longer than others. My Tortie and white girl is finally mellowing out and she's 7 years old now! Her mellowness started a couple years ago.

I'm a military wife and student of Veterinary Technology. I hope to be fully certified by 2012. I am also mama to the babies you see below, and not pictured are a human daughter who's currently 6 years old and two tanks of freshwater fish!

If you guys don't mind me hanging out and learning more about these beautiful naked babies, I'd love to stay around, share my general cat knowledge, and hopefully I can someday share pictures and stories of my own Sphynx! *crossing fingers, toes, and whiskers over here*. Thanks fro reading, I look forward to my time here!

susi794

Staff member
Hello!
I am not owned by a Sphynx yet but hope to be, soon. I'm crossing my fingers an adoption will come through =) His birthday was in January 2010 so he's a little under one year old.

How long do Sphynx kitties keep their kittenhood? I know that some cats stay mischievous longer than others. My Tortie and white girl is finally mellowing out and she's 7 years old now! Her mellowness started a couple years ago.

I'm a military wife and student of Veterinary Technology. I hope to be fully certified by 2012. I am also mama to the babies you see below, and not pictured are a human daughter who's currently 6 years old and two tanks of freshwater fish!

If you guys don't mind me hanging out and learning more about these beautiful naked babies, I'd love to stay around, share my general cat knowledge, and hopefully I can someday share pictures and stories of my own Sphynx! *crossing fingers, toes, and whiskers over here*. Thanks fro reading, I look forward to my time here!

Welcome to the Lair--of course we hope you'll hang around and keep us company in our sphynx addictions. You'll love this site--has the greatest folks I know.
Looking forward to getting to know you and all your animal and human babies.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to Sphynx Lair! I don't own a Sphynx yet either....I've been saying that Summer of 2011 is my time! You'll love this site, and you'll smile and learn more than you ever could imagine. I look forward to seeing you more around the Lair!

TotenEngel

Banned
hello and welcome to the lair!
I've had my eyes on sphynxes sinces the 80's and only got my first one a couple of months ago, it was well worth the wait! :D

Bella07

Banned
...And I've wanted a Sphynx for what? 7 Months?! And I thought that was a long time! Now I see that 16 to 30 years...well, that is a REALLY long wait! :LOL:

Chameleon924

Lairian
Welcome! I am currently owned by Ms. Splash Bigglesworth aka Splashie. She is my second sphynx. I hope the adoption you have pending goes thru! They are def worth the wait!! :ThumbsUp:

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair!!! You will find great people, great info and beautiful sphynx on this site- so stick around:BigSmile: I wanted a sphynx since the summer of 1989 and got one this August- it was a beautiful life changing moment for me and the whole family. Of course now I have sphynxitis and I will get my new baby girl day after thanksgiving-WAHOO!!!

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello and welcome...
1994? Long time ago :) Saw Rachels sphynx on Friends or something? hehe Maybe that was a bit later. It was not a very famous breed back then anyway so that's why I asked.

Sphynxes are kittens all their lives in some regards and mature fast in others by the way. They are playful but many other breeds are more so. They play intensly and then chill out.
What they never mature out of is their almost violent need to be close to you always and I really mean always. You don't get any alone time with a sphynx in the house. The are on you, around you or literally in your face constantly except maybe if they find a really warm cosy place to sleep and you stay still. If you move or do something they're directly there again :)
I know people that can't take that after a while but most fall head over heals in love with them in a matter of minutes and stay so for the rest of their lives.
Sleep with cats in other room and closed door is out of the question and even going to the bathroom with cats outside a locked door is very hard. They hate to not have access to you all the time.
It's a cat that will love you like no other cat that I can promise.
:Laugh:

Gizzymom

Banned
Sleep with cats in other room and closed door is out of the question and even going to the bathroom with cats outside a locked door is very hard. They hate to not have access to you all the time.
It's a cat that will love you like no other cat that I can promise.
:Laugh:

SOOOOO true!!!! It's just me and my 7 year old Gizzy in my house, so I never bother closing the bathroom door.... The other day, my parents stopped by and I went to use the restroom and shut the door. When Giz heard the door shut, he came running and sat "yowing" at the door at the top of his lungs! My parents asked what was the matter with him... I told them "separation anxiety",,, LOL:LOL:

But anyway... Welcome to Sphynx Lair!!! We're going to make you want one even more!!! Good luck!!!:ThumbsUp:

TotenEngel

Banned
SOOOOO true!!!! It's just me and my 7 year old Gizzy in my house, so I never bother closing the bathroom door.... The other day, my parents stopped by and I went to use the restroom and shut the door. When Giz heard the door shut, he came running and sat "yowing" at the door at the top of his lungs! My parents asked what was the matter with him... I told them "separation anxiety",,, LOL:LOL:

But anyway... Welcome to Sphynx Lair!!! We're going to make you want one even more!!! Good luck!!!:ThumbsUp:

I'm sooo glad its not just me!! lol
quite often when I'm on the loo I will have 4 pairs of feline eyes watching (smeagol is usually on my lap) kinda feel like I should start charging for the entertainment!!!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello carakitty and welcome to Sphynxlair! What a great crew you have there! Please enjoy the site!:ThumbsUp:

Gizzymom

Banned
I'm sooo glad its not just me!! lol
quite often when I'm on the loo I will have 4 pairs of feline eyes watching (smeagol is usually on my lap) kinda feel like I should start charging for the entertainment!!!

Gizzy does the same! Just glad no one can see my cat sitting on my lap as I use the potty!!! :LOL::LOL:

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair, this is a great place to hang out and learn while waiting for your kitty. I met my first sphynx at a show in 1988 and it took me until 2003 to get one of my very own. Closing the shower curtain is bad enough, I think I'd have a full blown rebellion on my hands if I tried to close the bathroom door.

Last edited:

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks everyone for the welcomes!

I didn't remember there was a Sphynx on Friends. I never really watched the show. I do 'know' Mr. Bigglesworth on Austin Powers though!

What introduced me to the Sphynx was a cat breeds encyclopedia I got for Christmas. A couple days after Christmas we flew out to Germany. I was flipping through the pages of the encyclopedia absentmindedly, saw the Sphynx, did a double take ("What the hell is that?!") and then was totally enthralled by the breed. I must have read the Sphynx spread 500 times on that flight and enthusiastically told the curious flight attendants about the cat. The Sphynx was the coolest thing I'd seen in quite a while!

Then about two years later my then-boyfriend and I went over to one of his friend's houses for a movie double feature. The friends Mom had a Sphynx and I couldn't contain my excitement at meeting one! She let me give him a sponge bath, and after he warmed up some more in a patch of sun he decided to join us for the movie. I invited him onto my lap and he proceeded to then climb into my shirt and purr up a storm! Strange thing is, I didn't seem to mind one bit. =) If I wasn't hooked before, that sure did me in for good!

Since then I've met a couple more Sphynx cats at cat shows and I've lost count of the many hours I've spent reading Breeder sites and fawning over Sphynx images in the Google Images database ;)

Thanks for the nice remarks about my crew. The cats are Tai-Grr- a brown and black DSH Tabby boy who is 11 years old, Aurora- a dilute calico DLH girl also 11 years old, Wooter- a tortie and white DSH who is 7 and she still bursts into kitten mode more than I expect, and the bird is Baby- she is a 20 year old umbrella ****atoo.

carakitty

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Love the censorship on the type of bird:LOL::LOL::LOL: You definately belong here on the lair with us:BigSmile:

Oh my goodness, that is too hilarious! I didn't know the board would do that! I hope you guys can figure it out :LOL:
I promise though, this time I wasn't being dirty. That is what the bird really is called!

rikkuyuna

Lairian
HI welcome to the Lair!!!

You will love this site, I have only been here for a short while myself, but have already found everyone to be so welcoming and friendly!! I am struggling to type as right now my sphynx boy, Kimaree is adamant he is going to sit ON me, ahem, i mean next to me.........lol. sphynx cats are amazing, i love mine to bits and am finally having the privelage to not only own one, but be mentored to start breeding these amazing cats next year!!!

Have a great time on here, and trust me i know its painful waiting, but its so worth the wait!!!:BigSmile::BigSmile::BigSmile:

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yes, welcome to the Lair! I have not been a member long, but already have 2 sphynx with 1 more coming after the holidays! They are wonderful! I also have 2 Ragdolls & 1 Somali. I never would have dreamed I would turn into a cat lover!

x0jules0x

Lairian
HI! Welcome to the lair! As I am fairly new as well, I will be getting my Sphynx very soon! Enough about me though..... this site is GREAT! The members are wonderful! I cant say anything negative! Everyone is so welcoming and helpful! Its nice to have so many people you can relate to :) Its more of a Sphynx Family than anything else here! :BigSmile: Good luck with everything keep us posted!

Back