Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Look what I found on CL

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
All the new kittens on here are giving me kitten fever! I can't afford a sphynx kitten until next year though due to my slacker ex husband not paying his share of braces for our daughter so I had to pay the full amount. anyhoooo
I was browsing CL and saw an ad for "low allergy kittens" hmmmmm, I thought wonder what that is, so I emailed them. They are 1/2 donskoy sphynx, she is adopting them out for $20, they will be 8 weeks old in may and guess who is getting one!

kittens.jpg

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow, what a bundle of cuteness there! So glad you are able to get one of these cuties! I'm sure they will have the delightful personalities of sphynx, just with a furry exterior. :Wink:

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The pinky head is my fave! lol She said we can pick ours out first in person once they are 8 weeks old, she won't let anyone meet them until then. Since we have a sphynx and I was the first to contact her she is going to let us have first pick. She has the momma sphynx, and said she got her from a bad situation and momma was already preggers so no word on the daddy.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They are cute.
The Don Sphynx started in Russia.
Just be careful since you do not know the history of the cats
Did she say what age she will let them go at?.

susi794

Staff member
Godo luck with your new baby--remember to isolate until you're sure the kit has no health issues to spread to anyone else....but then ENJOY! They are precious....no matter which one you get.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am sorry to sound harsh but 8 weeks is to young.
They need to be at least 12 weeks old before they go to their new homes.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Godo luck with your new baby--remember to isolate until you're sure the kit has no health issues to spread to anyone else....but then ENJOY! They are precious....no matter which one you get.

Is it sufficient to keep the new one in another room? For how long? Thanks

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am sorry to sound harsh but 8 weeks is to young.
They need to be at least 12 weeks old before they go to their new homes.

What are some issues with leaving at 8 weeks? I can pass the info to her and see if she would be willing to hold them a bit longer. We want a healthy baby!

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratulations!

Gorgeous babies :BigSmile: but I would ask her if she would be willing to keep them loner to make sre they are good and healthy if I were you...I know the waiting is a killer but I think it would be in your kittens best interest to get as big ans strong as possible before coming home to her new loving mumma.

X

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Unfortunately, the 'norm' tends to be from 6-8 weeks, when we are talking about kittens born to people who have no clue what they are doing. Look at your local Craigslist- it will be the average age of the kittens being offered up 'for free'.

But at 8 weeks of age- a kitten MIGHT have one set of shots (probably none), while it has usually weaned from its Momma- it is still learning social skills- including that super important 'litter box' skill that we all want our kittens to come home with. It's immune system is still pretty weak at this point as well. A bout of bad diarrhea can easily kill a kitten at this age.

CHANCES are- the lady won't hold the kittens until 12 weeks of age, but it's worth asking. It is also worth asking if she is fixing the Momma after this 'whoopsie' litter- that is what I'd expect my adoption fee to go towards- having the Momma altered.

If she won't hold the baby until 12 weeks, don't fret. But I'd isolate-isolate-isolate and make sure you get those all important vaccines asap as well as check the kitten for any parasites asap.

Good luck- I can tell you are super excited :)

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I did a yahoo search on kittens leaving mom, and got some good info. I emailed it to her and asked if she would hold the kittens a bit longer, have not heard back yet. The last thing I want is my kids to get a kitten and lose it.

As for isolation, I have a bathroom, I can put food, litter, and small crate with blankie and heating pad, is that enough? for how long should they be isolated?

She did say momma cat was getting spayed, she had gotten her already pregnant. I am not sure from where

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I had forgotten that she had come to the lady pregnant- it is good she is getting spayed :)

I don't know if you have kitties already at home, but if you do- I would say a two week quarantine. It is rough, but would typically you would be able to notice any contagious issues within those two weeks and clear it up easily enough versus having to treat everyone.

J

Jinxlover

Almost everyone lets there kittens go 8 weeks(some 6weeks). All the rescues and the shelters and anyone that is just homing kittens. Thats when I was going to let mine go tell you guys told me not to.. Most people just don't know any better... And you cant tell them anything.:ThumbsDown:

Most kittens that go to there new homes at 8 weeks live long happy healthy lives.

susi794

Staff member
True for hairy cats maybe, but sphynx have weaker immune systems and need the extra nutrition from the mother's milk and the skills momma can still teach them for that extra 3 weeks to a month. I have taken in many hairy kits at age 6 wks. and Shannon's right, many live long and healthy lives having left at 8 weeks...that can happen for sure--but longer with momma means a better shot at a good and healthy life....so IMHO, it's worth it.

Back