Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Looking for a Sphynx in Ontario!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherri

Lairian
Hi everyone I am new to this site just joined but I am looking for a Sphynx cat either a kitten or to rescue one I'm not too picky on the gender but I prefer the light coloured ones either solid or striped or with spots doesn't matter too much. I JUST started looking today for one to adopt and I did find one on kijiji which I was so excited about but I have just been informed that he isn't available anymore :(

Does anyone know of any rescues in Ontario? I tried googling it but came up with nothing I prefer to just get one as a pet so I don't need it to be registered and would prefer not to pay $1200-$1500 I realize yes they are rare and that they usually already come spayed/neutered but I also don't mind doing it myself at my own vets once I bring one home if the price is a bit less.

I see that members have been posting links to kijiji ads so I hope I will be able to find one in the near future either from the help of this site or by my own finding. I look forward to becoming part of your community!

I am located in Hamilton, Ontario but don;t mind traveling to Toronto or the general areas around there.

Thanks in advance!

Sherri

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sherri, and welcome to sphynxlair! I am sure if you stick around you will find yourself a perfect sphynx. We have some members from Canada who I am sure will be happy to help!

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Welcome to Sphynx Lair, Sherri. Good luck with your search. Be patient and keep your eye on the rehoming board. A Sphynx in need of a home is bound to turn up.

Sherri

Lairian
Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

I just love the Sphynx and ave ALWAYS wanted one but wasn't actually planning on getting one right now until I was browsing around and came across a male I knew it was a long shot since the ad was 2 weeks old. I just have to be patient now and know that the perfect little kitty will come when the time is right.

I finally convinced my boyfriend to let me get one, we have dogs (chihuahuas) and although he doesn't dislike cats at all he just prefers dogs. I bet it will all change when we get our little kitty though he is a major animal lover like me :)

I'm so glad I found this forum, I belong to one for chihuahuas that I am part of pretty well daily and hoping for the same with this forum. I am excited to see everyones Sphynx's and learn more about the breed.

Sherri

Gizzymom

Banned
Hi everyone I am new to this site just joined but I am looking for a Sphynx cat either a kitten or to rescue one I'm not too picky on the gender but I prefer the light coloured ones either solid or striped or with spots doesn't matter too much. I JUST started looking today for one to adopt and I did find one on kijiji which I was so excited about but I have just been informed that he isn't available anymore :(

Does anyone know of any rescues in Ontario? I tried googling it but came up with nothing I prefer to just get one as a pet so I don't need it to be registered and would prefer not to pay $1200-$1500 I realize yes they are rare and that they usually already come spayed/neutered but I also don't mind doing it myself at my own vets once I bring one home if the price is a bit less.

I see that members have been posting links to kijiji ads so I hope I will be able to find one in the near future either from the help of this site or by my own finding. I look forward to becoming part of your community!

I am located in Hamilton, Ontario but don;t mind traveling to Toronto or the general areas around there.

Thanks in advance!

Sherri

Just keep in mind, Sherri, that owning and caring for a sphynx is not a cheap endeavor. There is a lot of maintenance and upkeep. They also should be fed quality food... usually friskies is not a good idea. And finally, they can rack up some pretty significant vet bills. I have health insurance that helps with that.. but the premiums are another expense. I usually use the guideline that if you cannot afford a sphynx cat, you may not be able to afford to care for one...

Just something to keep in mind :)

Hope it all works out for you, though!
:Laugh:

Sherri

Lairian
Just keep in mind, Sherri, that owning and caring for a sphynx is not a cheap endeavor. There is a lot of maintenance and upkeep. They also should be fed quality food... usually friskies is not a good idea. And finally, they can rack up some pretty significant vet bills. I have health insurance that helps with that.. but the premiums are another expense. I usually use the guideline that if you cannot afford a sphynx cat, you may not be able to afford to care for one...

Just something to keep in mind :)

Hope it all works out for you, though!

Thanks for your concern but I don't think you should automatically judge my ability to be able to take care of an animal because I don't want to pay $1500 for it. I actually am a Nurse so I am more than capable of affording vet bills. Also I have 3 chihuahuas and they are fed a raw diet which I have been researching for cats as well. I am more looking for a rescue than a kitten and I am not going to pay $1200-$1500 for a rescue cat!

I also didn't state my price range I am not a low baller and I understand that the breed isn't one that is adopted out for free or close to it. The reason I posted in the first place is because I saw that members were posting links to ads in my area for rescues.

Next time I think you should ask me what my situation is and if I am educated on food rather than assume that I am ignorant to owning and caring for a Sphynx the way that you believe should be cared for. :BigSmile:

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for your concern but I don't think you should automatically judge my ability to be able to take care of an animal because I don't want to pay $1500 for it. I actually am a Nurse so I am more than capable of affording vet bills. Also I have 3 chihuahuas and they are fed a raw diet which I have been researching for cats as well. I am more looking for a rescue than a kitten and I am not going to pay $1200-$1500 for a rescue cat!

I also didn't state my price range I am not a low baller and I understand that the breed isn't one that is adopted out for free or close to it. The reason I posted in the first place is because I saw that members were posting links to ads in my area for rescues.

Next time I think you should ask me what my situation is and if I am educated on food rather than assume that I am ignorant to owning and caring for a Sphynx the way that you believe should be cared for. :BigSmile:

We are all just very passionate here and just want to give you a heads up on the $ spent on a Sphynx is a lot more than most people may think. No harm meant I'm sure.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I think we all know owning any animal cost money. Heck our son has a turtle and I could have bought alot for what we spent on his little habitat.
I just want to add that yes to buy a sphynx it can be costly as there seems to be lots of rescues these days for less money but they do still require care. But all cats including the sphynx or a typical house cat require food water and vet care and all kinds of cats can get sick and require and deserve vet care. and all cost money. I think any one looking for a animal knows that it will cost money no matter what the breed or how much the animal cost.

Gizzymom

Banned

I think you may have misunderstood my motivation in my last post. Many people who have not owned sphynxes before have no idea of the costs associated with them. I was merely trying to share my knowledge of being an owner for the last 7 years. The fact there are a lot of rescues attests to the fact that many people are not educated to the breed and the amount of care that goes into them. Many of the rescues are special needs, which again shows that many people believe that sphynxes are "low maintenance" like haired cats ***** Not to say that haired cats are low maintenance... people just think they are!!****
But on Sphynx Lair, I have learned, we are all here to try and help each other... There is no need to be defensive or upset. I was trying to help out. From now on, I will keep my advice to myself on this matter.

Thanks for consulting Sphynx Lair... and good luck in your search.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've had many cats during my life and I can't say that sphynxes are especially expensive to own compared to other breeds or non breeds for that matter.
They are generally healthy sturdy cats and if they need a vet they are ofc insured (at least here it is in the contract of ALL breeders). They don't need vet more than other breeds. General care is done by the owner. Foodbill is 20-50% higher due to them eating more than hairy cats though.
How much is a health insurance for a cat over there by the way? Here it is about 280 dollars a year and that covers vet-costs up to $6500 paid in full within a few days.

Why is it that you say that sphynx is an expensive breed to own? Maybe there are some differences between USA and here that I haven't thought about.
Natrually it is a very expensive breed to BUY but that's not what you meant I know.

Then ofc if you are a person that like to dress up your cat with bought clothes and take it around town in a stroller it will cost ya but that is a cost the owner chooses to get.

I do not agree they are expensive to own.

Shauntay

Banned
I would actually agree that sphynx can be pricier to care for then your average domestic. Although all cats can develop HCM, sphynx have a higher prevalence for it and as such should have yearly echocardiographs. In my area, with three sphynx at 700 each and 140 each for the cardiologist consult, we are looking at over 2500$ guaranteed yearly after taxes. Additionally more expensive diets due to the higher intake of food and higher heating bills here in Canada to keep them cozy, I'd say the are more monetary upkeep then my Persian or domestic. I'd also say the are worth a million times more then they have cost over the years. There is no cat that compares to a sphynx.

Have you tried contacting breeders regarding adopting a retired breeder? They are usually very inexpensive to the right home. Good luck.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Although all cats can develop HCM, sphynx have a higher prevalence for it and as such should have yearly echocardiographs. In my area, with three sphynx at 700 each and 140 each for the cardiologist consult, we are looking at over 2500$ guaranteed yearly after taxes.

If you breed ofc HCM-testing is a must but for a pet cat you don't normally scan without a reason. Sure you can do it if you want but it's not something that is expected of a pet cat sphynx owner.

Even if he does develop HCM you can't do anything about it and most cats still live good life even with it for many years. When the cat shows signs of being sick though it might be something you have to do.

What are the rates of HCM over there by the way?
Here we've slipped below 5% now due to very targeted breeding and the federation takes away the breeding license of the whole line if a cat in it develops HCM.
I know now that breeding in at least the states isn't as regulated so maybe HCM is still a big problem.
Anyone have any figures?
As for the heating I keep it at 20-21 degrees Celsius (69F) with or without a sphynx as I guess most people do to keep themselves comfy.

I still don't concider a sphynx to be a more expensive cat than others to own. A few procent maybe.
However you will have a tendancy put more money into your cat if you own a sphynx as they become your baby in another way than most other cats do. <3
They have such social and contact seeking personalities that you will just wanna get them whatever they desire. :BigSmile:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
There was a article once put out by tica or cfa I forget what one but it stated that they think the average outdoor cat probably have more HCM than any other but it goes without a diagnoses because no one ever takes it to the vet. With the Maine Coon having the highest.
I am not saying that there are not high numbers in a sphynx but I think it is in all breeds.

As far as keeping the house warmer it gets cold here and I don't put it any higher just have blankets around like I would for any pet.

Food yes they eat a bit more but there is no set rule on what to feed some feed raw some high end pet store food and some meow mix. But in the end it is the food that fits for them.

Let me say that I Love the sphynx and I love all my pets but do not see how one cat cost more then the next.

I have 2 dogs both the same breed both cost the same in food ect; but one is sick so I spend alot at the vet for her these days. The other is healthy so not so much spent at the vet for her but normal shots and check ups.
I guess my point is no matter what the pet one day it could still cost alot at the vet.

Shauntay

Banned
If you breed ofc HCM-testing is a must but for a pet cat you don't normally scan without a reason. Sure you can do it if you want but it's not something that is expected of a pet cat sphynx owner.

Even if he does develop HCM you can't do anything about it and most cats still live good life even with it for many years. When the cat shows signs of being sick though it might be something you have to do.

I could not disagree with you more on this subject. I am just now starting my breeding program and I know the importance of yearly scanning but I also feel my altered pet sphynx are worth just as much to me so they are scanned also. HCM has variable expression and a cat can pass away as early as six months after diagnosis. Although they could live several years with the disease their lives can ultimately end painfully with blood clots, heart attacks and congestive heart failure which is what I am currently dealing with with one of my PET boys. In the case of not being able to do anything about a positive diagnosis, I'd also have to disagree. In the US and Canada we have medication that can control HCM ( atenelol has proven to be extremely effective) and in some cases even reduce the thickness of the atrium, giving the cat a nearly 'normal' heart. So to me scanning is invaluable. If I can catch a positive diagnosis and get a cat on the appropriate medicine, it's well worth it. In my area there are never any HCM clinics at shows, which I know are cheaper alternatives to a vet visit.

Also waiting for a cat to show signs of a heart condition can often prove too late. Some cats can be positive for HCM and never show a physical sign and outwardly appear healthy until you find them cold and motionless one morning. Some cats present with HCM without hearts murmurs so echos are really the only reliable tool in diagnosing a cat.

HCM is still a large problem for sphynx in north America with so many breeders neglecting to scan breeding cats, but there are many ethical breeders working very hard to eliminate the disease.

If HCM is not a problem where you are, I'm moving in. Sometimes I think my heart just can't take all the grief this disease causes us here.
We really went off on a tangent, original post was regarding adopting a sphynx in Ontario. Sorry for the detour everyone, I know most of you will understand my passion in regards this subject.

ypvsypvs

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well it is still an issue here but not more so than for any other breed, even better than many because of the problems that spynxes used to have and the attention it got because of it leading to strict rules for breeders of this breed.

And I agree, the thread took a detour. Both the subjects of cost and HCM are good interesting ones though but better discussed in their own threads.

I hope you find yourself a good cat in Ontario or around. :)

Sherri

Lairian
Everyone's situation is different I guess but I just felt it was rude to assume I wouldn't have the $ to put into the care or assume that I would feed "friskies"> I have owned cats my whole life I know what cost goes into pets I am not a new pet owner or cat owner new Sphynx owner yes but I have read a lot about them on the internet and joined this forum before even adopting one to learn more.

I care deeply about all of my animals, they are all very well taken care of I have a chihuahua with alopecia who is also severely allergic to vaccines and some medications. I have spent hours at emergency hospitals with him I have spent nights staying up with him giving him cool baths and compresses to sooth his hives when he's had reactions. I have gone to work on zero seconds of sleep because I have been up all night with one of my dogs who had an upset tummy. I spent $6500 fixing my dog's crucit (sp?) ligament that she tore I spent MONTHS rehabilitating her and slinging her around the house. I put my whole life into my pets I don't have any kids yet so to me my animals are my kids right down to my hamster and betta fish. My hamster has a motorcycle and a car for Christ sakes lol I could go on forever about all the $ and time I put into my animals who have in the past had cancer, surgeries, illnesses etc. This is just a small example to I guess show you that I in fact am very capable and a good pet owner and that you shouldn't base $ on you first impression of me.

I just feel like you shouldn't assume what people are capable of or the reason behind getitng a rescue or older cat. most people want kittens. I have 2 purebred mastiffs one french one english that are family pets and 3 chihuahuas all purebred. I know the cost of paying for a purebred animal it's not the $ that is the issue whatsoever I could go out and buy one at anytime for the cost being asked by breeders. I would just rather get an older or rescue I don't see the harm in that. If noone wanted rescues or older ones they would all be euthanized!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you should know what you're talking about before assuming!

Gizzymom

Banned
Sherri... Please check your PM... I am trying to explain myself and bury the hard feelings. No ill will was meant. Just trying to give info.

I am glad you are looking to give a sphynx rescue a good home.... Lord knows they need good homes!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi everyone!..............:Laugh: any way yes way off the path! Hello and welcome to Sphynxlair Sherri! Good luck on finding your new sphynx! Please enjoy the site!:ThumbsUp:

Sherri

Lairian
Sherri... Please check your PM... I am trying to explain myself and bury the hard feelings. No ill will was meant. Just trying to give info.

I am glad you are looking to give a sphynx rescue a good home.... Lord knows they need good homes!

Thanks I have read and replied no hard feelings just wanted to clarify/ stick up for myself :)

Hello from Toronto!! I got my first Sphynx from Kijiji and my second 4 months later from a breeder in Michigan. Now Sphynx #3 is coming from a breeder right here in the area!

Good luck in your search and I will let you know if I see something!

Bella07

Banned
I know that absolutely no offense was meant to be taken on behalf of Gizzysmom. Sphynx Lair is such a compassionate and friendly site, we are all here to share stories, smile, and most importantly learn from one another! With that being said, welcome to Sphynx Lair! We all look forward to getting to know you and helping you in your search for a Sphynx. I am currently waiting to bring a Sphynx kitten home myself, which I hope to be next summer. Having enough patience to wait to bring home my hairless baby (and I'm sure yours as well) is extremely difficult, yet I know that it will be more than worth it in the end! Best of Luck in your search of finding the perfect Sphynx.

gizmo6370

Banned
Welcome Sherri...good luck in your search :Wink:
Keep a close eye on the lair...there are some members who will post rescue ads :Smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back