Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Looking for an older sphynx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adriana

Lairian
I had a horrible experience almost a month ago when adopting a sphynx. She was dying and did not even last 24 hours. She did not make it to the vet. I am searching for a healthy older sphynx. I adopted her through CL. I will never do that again! And what is worse is that this family has 3 other cats. They will not even return my calls. What the poor baby suffered I can't even imagine. Just the several hours with us was traumatizing enough for me. I never really knew her but her beautiful eyes looking up at me I will never forget. I just wish they would have adopted her out sooner. If anyone here knows of anyone adopting out in Florida our family would love and appreciate it. We'd love the opportunity to love and be loved by a sphynx. We had done all our research and I work from home so we are still willing to adopt a healthy kitty. But we'd like a sphynx that gets along with dogs as well. We have a huge rescue deaf boxer that loves all animals. He is the most gentle baby! We have 2 small kids as well that are still excited to have a kitty.

Adriana

Lairian
I haven't seen any sphynx on petfinder. I just feel that we have been told so many wonderful things about this breed, and both my husband and I did so much research before we decided on sniffles that we feel we and ofcourse sniffles missed out. We were hoping to have adopt a sphynx. Everywhere we checked and chatted with on line said so many great things about their personality and we thought it was a perfect match for our pets and ourselves. I just hate what these people did. More for sniffles because who knows for how long she had been sick and they waited till they knew for sure we were going to adopt her before taking her to the vet. Our vet said she seemed like she had been sick for a while by the looks of what was coming out from her nose. And by how she screemed when she collapsed it seemed she had renal failure. I mean she was not just real thin, she was pure bones! Oh it was sad. I can't tell you how excited we were to be adopting her. I felt like we were bringing home a new baby girl. And my kids...

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So sorry this happened to you.
I have a cat with CRF .
Please be careful when you get your next sphynx.

Adriana

Lairian
Yes after this I have had a lot of helpful people that love cats and love this breed especially give me tons advice. It has been so helpful. I just hate this feeling. The feeling of helplessness. You know... The only she had been adopted out sooner. Of hearing her cry and not knowing why and not having anywhere to take her at 3 am. I can't get the sound and her beautiful eyes looking at me out of my head.

Adriana

Lairian
Thank you! How do you guys feel about a cat being shipped. I have searched mainly in Florida or a a few hours away, but no luck. I don't know if shipping is ok for them. Especially cats that tend to be more nervous. What do you guys think. Should I stop limiting my search to just Florida? My husband says to let it be. He says if there is a sphynx out there for us he/she will happen soon enough. Maybe I should not try so hard and give it a rest and check on petfinder.com from time to time.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Both my sphynx were shipped.
One from North Carolina and the other from San Diego.
I am getting another sphynx from North Carolina next month.
Cleo my older sphynx was not scared at all and came right to us and purred.
Wrinkles was lost at the airport.
It is up to you what you wnat to do.
Most rescues want to meet the people first.
How much are you willing to spend?

PitRottMommy

Banned
Thank you! How do you guys feel about a cat being shipped. I have searched mainly in Florida or a a few hours away, but no luck. I don't know if shipping is ok for them. Especially cats that tend to be more nervous. What do you guys think. Should I stop limiting my search to just Florida? My husband says to let it be. He says if there is a sphynx out there for us he/she will happen soon enough. Maybe I should not try so hard and give it a rest and check on petfinder.com from time to time.

Try Uship.com, I had great luck with them!

BTW, if I had "let it rest" I wouldn't have had the chance to adopt Baldwin (my avatar)'s direct brother and sister (Buffy and Buck) as they were put in a rescue in Kentucky (I live in Oklahoma). If you want something, be willing to work for it.

Adriana

Lairian
Really? I can't believe your cat just came right out purring. Well that is reasuring. I thought I was not doing the right by the kitty. I always see people post things like local only. Will not post... As far as spending. My husband is still so upset at this guy and his wife. We spent over $400, not to mention litter boxes, food litter, sweaters, bowls and cremation. Oh and the 2 1/2 hour drive. That is why we don't mind an older cat and a rescue. We always rescue. Our boxer is a rescue. He was going to be destroyed by his owner because he was deaf and could not be sold. So we immediately took him. And he is the smartest most perfect dog ever! Our previous baby that we had to put down of illness, was also a rescue from Sabbath dog rescue. We always knew she was not young but did not mind. She was a great babysitter to my kids and never left their side. But her hips finally gave out and developed a tumor in her trechia. The vet said she'd be put though too much at her age. That was tough as well last year. Our pom I bought 12 years ago on the 8th of this month. I had no idea the lady had a puppy mill in her home. When I saw this poor baby in a tiny cage with a few more dogs and he was shaking, I knew I had to get him out of there. I reported the place as well. She had a bunch of dogs in cages at once.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I also have cats that have problems.
I got my Oreo because she has fcks and no one would have got her.
It was worth the 2 hour drive to get her.
Her hurt is tilted and her lungs are not shaped right because of the fcks.
It is to bad this lady has to meet the person.
Marni is getting her cats from here.
They still need a home for the 2 brothers.
I almost had a home for them but the person can not come out here to meet them
http://www.purebredsplus.org/available/rare.html
Cleo came right to me just like I was told she would.

Adriana

Lairian
You are right. Thank you. I have never been one to just give up on something. I will keep searching. Well I have to finally get off this computer. I was working late, but can't stay awake much longer. Thanks you and everyone else who has replied. I appreciate it very much! Talk to everyone again soon.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Adriana, No do not give up but also be careful and remember all good things come to those who wait:Wink:
I love your boxer story we have 2 of them.

Brooke

Banned
BTW, if I had "let it rest" I wouldn't have had the chance to adopt Baldwin (my avatar)'s direct brother and sister (Buffy and Buck) as they were put in a rescue in Kentucky (I live in Oklahoma). If you want something, be willing to work for it.

Agree! I wouldn't have my 4 "cast-offs" if I hadn't searched every day for them!

Adriana, what part of Florida are you in? How far are you willing to travel to pick one up?

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That's such a said story, those people shouldn't be allowed to own animals :Angry:

Good luck with your search, fingers crossed you'll find you baby soon.

X

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Adrianna welcome! I am so sorry for the horrible experience you have been through. It sounds as if you have come out wiser which is a good thing. Check out breeders for retired breeeders which are usually 1 to 5 yrs old. Good luck in your search!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Adriana, don't lose hope, you WILL find a healthy sphynx rescue cat, but it does take some time and sometimes travel. I was lucky to find my "rescue" sphynx Piglet here in my homestate Colorado, but I still had to travel over 3 hours by car to get her. She was quite a bit older (8 years old) when I got her, but fortunately she's healthy and HCM-free. However, the poor thing had passed through several people before I finally got her and gave her a forever home. Piglet is the best cat ever and has the sweetest disposition I've ever seen on an animal. She took to me, my family, and my two other cats right away. :Smile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I am only owned by one and have only ever been owned by one special Sphynx. I've always had the "FREE" or rescued DSH kitties in my life and I've always been a cat lover. All of my past kitties hold a special place in my heart. However, since having Snuffie in my life I can't imagine ever owning a furred kitty again. (I'm sure I will) But this breed is the greatest ever, their personality and lovingness is just right for me. When I'm down she is always there to give a hug or to make me burst out in tears laughing at whatever she is up too or "IN" too! I just find it so hard to fathum (sp?) that there are individuals out there that could just pawn off these kitties without evening turning their head! It appals me! I'm so thankful there are a group of people out here like us that are there for these special felines! I love my Sphynxee!!!!

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome! Definitely keep looking.

Marnasobsession is right - keep an eye out for retired breeders. Check out breeders websites.

Good luck searching!

Adriana

Lairian
Hello I just saw your message. I was off all day till now. I won't be on too long either because I need to bathe my kids and put them to sleep, but in response to your question. I would drive a few hours if I had to.

Adriana

Lairian
Thank you everyone! Yes I will definately keep looking. I would not mind driving a few hours. I live in the heart of Miami. I am sure it would all be worth it. I love my 2 dogs so much and they are both so special in their own way. My boxer is a goofball but such a gentle soul and everyone said he would not learn a thing due to his being deaf, but infact he will do anything for his treats just like any other dog, and sign language is normal to him. He is just as obedient as any trained doggie out there. My husband and I named him Beethoven, but my kids named him Dewey. It doesn't make any difference to him. :BigSmile Our 12 year old pom has never considered himself to be a dog and he has always been a bit of a snob, and he is more of a snob now that he is 12. But he is has always been there for me, and has been a great friend and companion who gives me kisses every single day for 12 years.

I read how you guys talk about your sphynx I just can't wait to find my own. I have had furry cats when growing up and I do remember that one special black cat I had that I loved and I could always tell he loved me.

Attachments

• IMG00784 00000.jpg
    IMG00784 00000.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 24

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awww what an adorable picture! Dewey and your son are so cute!

Yes, you'll definitely love being owned by a sphynx. It's like nothing else!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back