Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Looking for Female Sphynx with breeding rights / in or around Windsor, On.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth22

Lairian
Hi, new to the forum here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Me and my girlfriend have been looking to purchase a Female Sphynx (to breed) for quite some time now with out much luck. We live in Windsor, Ontario. Does anyone know of any breeders in or around this area? Would also consider buying from out of town but only from a trusted source. Please help!

Thank you,

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
welcome to sphynxlair seth22. Please keep in mind that breeders names are not allowed in public here on sphynx lair. If anyone can help I am sure they will pm you. With that in mind I am sure you are about to be drilled with questions. #1 being why breeding rights?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Because breeding is fun? Because the miracle of life is wonderful? Because Sphynx kittens are hardy little souls that easily make it from birth to big whooping naked kitties?

No, seriously- I was being a tad bit facetious, but yes, why do you want breeding rights? Have you ever owned this breed before? Do you know the health issues prevalent with this breed (and there is MORE then just HCM for a breeder to worry about)? Have you ever bred cats before? Do you understand that MOST breeders will NOT stud out their males and therefore you may have a female that develops pyometra, which is a pus filled uterus, which can KILL her if she cycles over and over without being bred?

If you understand all of those things- and you have your feet firmly beneath you- then congrats! Most people don't! I didn't- and I'm still learning years down the road!

There are many excellent breeders throughout the US- I don't know of any in Canada. The problem I see is that most EXCELLENT breeders want you to develop a rapport with them before they will sell a whole animal, willy nilly. Good luck!

beeblebrox

Lairian
Yep.. there are LOTS of things to learn first. This seems to be the right place though! There are hundreds of big time love bugs on here that are filled with great sphynx information. I am thrilled to be around so many pet owners.

Why not stick around and read about the breed first. I apologize, that is assuming you don't already have a sphynx!

I sent you a PM also. Good luck!

Dez

Bella07

Banned
Welcome to Sphynx Lair. Please let us know a bit more about yourself and your Sphynx!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I agree with the others about breeding sphynx.
Have you ever had a sphynx before?
I was told I needed to show sphynx and know the breed before I was offered a kitten with breeding rights.
I can get one now.
My friend who is a breeder lives in your area but she is not going to offer a cat with breeding rights unless you know the breed well and have had a sphynx before.
Her dam will be in labor anytime now.

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to the Lair--I have nothing to add to the good advice you've already gotten. I am also a breeder and it's a very tough, expensive, labor intensive and often heart breaking endeavor. Like someone told you earlier--most of us practice closed catteries and don't stud our males out as it's just too dangerous--they can bring something back into the cattery that might wipe out your entire breeding program. Anyway, welcome to our little online family--looking forward to getting to know you and your sphynx (if you already have one, that is) better.
Hugs,
Susi and the gang

Gizzymom

Banned
Because breeding is fun? Because the miracle of life is wonderful? Because Sphynx kittens are hardy little souls that easily make it from birth to big whooping naked kitties?
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Big whooping naked kitties?? LOLOLOLOLOLOL..... I have been calling Gizmo that since I read your post!!!!!!

LOLOLOLOL... He is looking at me like I am nuts!!!

That is my quote of the day.. Priceless!!!! :ThumbsUp:

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I aim to please ;)

No, seriously- until you have lost a kitten that is 8-10 weeks old and NOTHING you have done and NOTHING you CAN do will help- it's impossible to realize what a miracle it is for a Sphynx to grow from a kitten to a wonderful 'big whooping naked kitty'!

Annnnd... Let's not even talk about what a MONEY MAKING scheme breeding is. Woo wee- you make sooo much moneey that you might be able to afford a gumball out of the machine once or twice a year. Otherwise, you might save money by NOT breeding and instead shredding a few stack of hundred bills every few months.

Gizzymom

Banned
I aim to please ;)

No, seriously- until you have lost a kitten that is 8-10 weeks old and NOTHING you have done and NOTHING you CAN do will help- it's impossible to realize what a miracle it is for a Sphynx to grow from a kitten to a wonderful 'big whooping naked kitty'!

Annnnd... Let's not even talk about what a MONEY MAKING scheme breeding is. Woo wee- you make sooo much moneey that you might be able to afford a gumball out of the machine once or twice a year. Otherwise, you might save money by NOT breeding and instead shredding a few stack of hundred bills every few months.
Ohhhh... I TOTALLY agree... I have every respect for reputable breeders. As I told Suzi before, it is something I could never do - I would never have the heart for it. I would die a little every time I lost a kitten, a mother, a father, or when I had to place kittens for adoption. NO WAY!!! But without you, I would never have this gorgeous, sweet, loving creature that is sleeping (snoring) right next to me. My life is full because of Gizmo... so in essence, my life is full because of sphynx breeders -
Thank you all!

By the way, I have also heard of quite a few breeders that had to close their catteries due to significant financial problems - money making it is not!

But the whooping naked kitty reference made my day!!!! LOL

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I plan on breeding in the future but can not breed until I have a job.
Money does not grow on trees if it did I would be happy since I have many fruit trees.
I will be doing it for the love of the breed not to make money.
I use to save ferals and have lost many kittens even though I tried so hard to save them.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
welcome to the lair Seth. I'm not a cat breeder, so i'm an unfamiliar with that aspect of things.
However, i agree with everyone here about breeding. I own, English Bulldogs. i STRONGLY suggest showing and understanding the breed completely before dabbling into the breeding world. Make sure to have strong mentors on your side as well, that you can all with ANY and ALL questions at ALL hours of the day and night!!
Breeding is time consuming, not cheap and if you're doing it FOR THE MONEY, you're doing it for the wrong reason!!! We just bred out Bulldog, had a litter of 5, lost one from birth defects, gave 2 to our breeder and ask us how many we SOLD??? NONE! because we love them so much we're keeping the other 2 !!! :) :) :) bred for the right reasons, for the betterment of the bred, not for the money!

beeblebrox

Lairian
Sleepy head kitten: You crack me up. What you said rings soooo true.

I keep cattery funds separate from family funds but lately I've been dipping in for gumb-ball money.. lol. My hubby knows my tricks now too. I'll go grocery shopping (family fund) but will come back with 100 pounds of meat.... hmmmm.. and he doesnt even eat meat!

LucyFurrr

Lairian
I aim to please ;)

I have never heard anything more accurate about breeding! If you break even at the end of the year, you're doing amazing!! As soon as you're on top money wise, something will happen and you're in the red. I swear I've paid for my vets new car by now, :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.