Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Looking for loving family for 9 year old female in NJ

Treespirit

Lairian
Sadly we need to find a new home for our beautiful 9 year old Lyra. (born Dec 29, 2009) This has been a really difficult decision and not one we've come to lightly, as Lyra has been part of our family.

I've been dealing with some health issues and I also have some cat allergies. We've made it work up until now, but it's come to the point where keeping her is just not in anyone's best interest.

I want Lyra to have a family that she can sleep with at night. We really just want her to be in a home where she can be snuggled & loved. She loves people, attention, affection and play. She is super friendly and will tap you with her paws for attention. And she gives "high five" for her wet meals and treats.

We have found that her personality shines through much more when she is the only cat. When we had another cat, she didn't socialize with us as much. Maybe there was competition between them. However, we will still consider homes with another cat/s. She had gotten along very well with our dog who passed a year and a half ago, so I think she'd do great with a dog/s that is respectful and gentle with cats. She's not really been around kids, but I imagine she'd appreciate their affection and love.

She has a heart murmur that she had when she was a kitten. She also has sensitive skin. The cat litter we've been using is a mix between Yesterdays News and Swheat Scoop (though I think she may react to the Swheat Scoop MultiCat). She is on grain-free Nulo wet cat food and Orijen Cat & Kitten dry. She is up to date on rabies and distemper vaccinations. She is sensitive to vaccinations and gets quite lethargic after receiving them. We switched to the one year rabies vaccination thinking it would be safer for her, but now I wonder if the 3 year would be better so she wouldn't have to receive it as often. I don't know, her next family will need to discuss options with their vet. Our new vet mentioned giving a shot before the vaccination to prevent any reactions, and they also mentioned a rabies vaccination that is only for felines, which might be a safer route.

One pic shows her wearing a sweater, but she's really not into wearing clothes. She does, however, love soft blankets, warm spots, and being close as all Sphynx do I'm sure.

We were thinking of asking a rehoming fee of $100 and returning it if you get an ultrasound done for her heart. She's had them done in the past, but not for quite a few years.

Lyra is a great kitty and we really just want what's best for her, and at this point we feel that is a new home.

Attachments

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Treespirit awhhh hugs for your heartfelt decision

You have a wonderful community here with members who I am sure wil chime in PM to interview
Thank you for including a detailed Lyra bio for a purrfect fit

She sounds like a womderful girl
All paws crossed for the purrfect forever home for adorable Lyra
Beautiful girl

Stay positive
Many of us have adopted from members .
I have stayed in contact with them for years with updates amd Head smooches from their first mums

Treespirit

Lairian
@Yoda mom Thank you so much. <3 That would be great, being able to get updates with pics and videos and possibly visitation rights would ideal. Paws crossed here as well for best possible outcome.

Yoda mom

Staff member
My adoptee pair got a xmas package All the way from Germany !
Even got emails pics of their baby photos

I have to commend you for the mentioning of the rehoming fee and HCM scan
I don’t think I have ever seen this before
You obviously love her soo much

Just to share I personally do not over vaccinate and I always ask for the Merial Purevaxx rabies vaccine thst has no adjuvants) there is also a rabies titer test
Many Years ago I had Bengal who had terrible reaction to vaccines so my vet amd I discussed other options for him

Please keep us updated often on the interviewing

Hugs n head smooches sent
positive vibes to for your health

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Treespirit
Bless you for coming to this difficult decision. I know you are going to find her the perfect, loving home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mrsmanilow

Lairian
Sorry you have to make such a difficult decision. I am in Delaware, not too far from you, and would love to help out. However you say she would do best as the only cat, and we have four dogs and two cats (One furry, one naked). Good luck finding the right home. If there is anything I can do, please let me know.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Treespirit Awh I couldn’t see the videos but others maybe b able to so I did not delete

Whenever you get s change can you upload thro youtube?

Lots of positive vibes amd hugs for the purrfect forever home

Treespirit

Lairian
Thanks Tammy, @Yoda mom. I have an old YouTube account where I would upload pet videos, I need to find it again and figure out how to upload. It's been a while.

Thanks @Catzzzmeow. I do see they have different files types so I guess that's why only one works.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Treespirit hugs n prayers a member opens their heart and home to precious Lyra

She certainly is gorgeous with lots of personality

Have you contacted her vet to let them know she is available to approved home ?
They may have other sphynx clients who would love love Lyra

A lair full of positive vibes for a purrfect fit as well as your health

Last edited:

Treespirit

Lairian
Ok, got it!

@Yoda mom I was going to reach out to my vet, yeah, but was hoping I'd find a good match here.
But you're right, I should try.

Thank you for the good vibes as well <3 ^_^

Last edited:

kauna

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
She's absolutely adorable! I am sorry you have to come to the difficult decision to re-home Lyra, but it is one done out of love for her. Paws crossed that you find that special home for such a special girl!

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Lyra is beautiful.

Since she's sensitive to vaccines and they make her lethargic, I was thinking wouldn't it be nice if she could be an indoor only cat where she wouldn't need vaccines. Also because of her age. As cats age their immune systems can get weaker just like with humans.

I know the rabies booster is required by law but even vets disagree on how often it's needed. Then also, the rabies vaccine dosage is not adjusted for the weight or health of the cat; they all get the same dosage regardless of how much they weigh or what their health and lifestyle are like. Things to consider.

Anbranin

Lairian
@Treespirit I'm a little far from you (MA) and already have 2 furry kitties (although one is an old lady), but it breaks my heart so much to think of her needing a loving home, so I'll be a backup plan for you if you wish. I know a closer, single-kitty home would be preferable. Please update us!

Last edited by a moderator: