Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Looking for loving ❤️family for 9 year old female in NJ

anniemarie92

Lairian
@Treespirit Please give me a call at 651-338-4815 if Lyra is still available. I had a sphynx growing up who lived to be 22! I love the breed and now that I'm settled into life as an adult I've been looking for a sphynx to adopt. I live by myself and work from home three days a week so Lyra would get lots of one on one attention. I would have no problem paying for her vet bills/scans/ etc.

Timsaltt

Lairian
I haven’t heard a word. I’m going to PA this weekend Friday night till Sunday morning.

I’ll wave while I pass them on my way.

Picking up annual passes for Dorney Park on Saturday.

Hope Lyra and her parents are well.

Tim

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Treespirit hugs n head smooches
Following for updates

All paws crossed for the purrfect forever home for sweet Lyra

Timsaltt

Lairian
Rosa and I have decided to get a kitten some time during the late summer.
Found a site that has lots of breeders with some adorable kittens

I’ll still follow this thread for I want to see who adopts Lyra.

Health to all the paws out there

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

Janusz

Lairian
Lyra is beautiful.

Since she's sensitive to vaccines and they make her lethargic, I was thinking wouldn't it be nice if she could be an indoor only cat where she wouldn't need vaccines. Also because of her age. As cats age their immune systems can get weaker just like with humans.

I know the rabies booster is required by law but even vets disagree on how often it's needed. Then also, the rabies vaccine dosage is not adjusted for the weight or health of the cat; they all get the same dosage regardless of how much they weigh or what their health and lifestyle are like. Things to consider.
And, the three year rabies vaccine is the same as the one year. My vet put it to me this way...how would the effectiveness be adjusted to differentiate between 1 or 3 years? Make perfect sense. I bring my kitties into vet once a year for a wellness checkup—no vaccines since kitten boosters from breeder. There is zero reasoning to vaccinate an indoor cat.

Also, my dog does not get anything other than rabies. Over vaccinating causes all kinds of problems. He also has allergies and vaccinating an animal with allergies typically exacerbates flare-ups.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Janusz i was told years ago to the 3 year amd 1 year were the same with a different label .
Really wondering if this is true? Have you heard of a feline rabies vaccine ? is it the same as the one and 3 year? . For my circumstances I also do not over vaccinate .
Many breeder contracts are void if FeLV or FIP vaccines are given .
Thank you for sharing your experience . I have found different vets I have gone to over the years vary on vaccine opinions . A lot of times it is also based on individual pets health issues or previous reactions to certain vaccines . Hugs and head smooches

Janusz

Lairian
@Janusz i was told years ago to the 3 year amd 1 year were the same with a different label .
Really wondering if this is true? Have you heard of a feline rabies vaccine ? is it the same as the one and 3 year? . For my circumstances I also do not over vaccinate .
Many breeder contracts are void if FeLV or FIP vaccines are given .
Thank you for sharing your experience . I have found different vets I have gone to over the years vary on vaccine opinions . A lot of times it is also based on individual pets health issues or previous reactions to certain vaccines . Hugs and head smooches
Yes, this is what my veterinarian told me as well. 1 and 3 year rabies is the same strength.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sadly we need to find a new home for our beautiful 9 year old Lyra. (born Dec 29, 2009) This has been a really difficult decision and not one we've come to lightly, as Lyra has been part of our family.

I've been dealing with some health issues and I also have some cat allergies. We've made it work up until now, but it's come to the point where keeping her is just not in anyone's best interest.

I want Lyra to have a family that she can sleep with at night. We really just want her to be in a home where she can be snuggled & loved. She loves people, attention, affection and play. She is super friendly and will tap you with her paws for attention. And she gives "high five" for her wet meals and treats.

We have found that her personality shines through much more when she is the only cat. When we had another cat, she didn't socialize with us as much. Maybe there was competition between them. However, we will still consider homes with another cat/s. She had gotten along very well with our dog who passed a year and a half ago, so I think she'd do great with a dog/s that is respectful and gentle with cats. She's not really been around kids, but I imagine she'd appreciate their affection and love.

She has a heart murmur that she had when she was a kitten. She also has sensitive skin. The cat litter we've been using is a mix between Yesterdays News and Swheat Scoop (though I think she may react to the Swheat Scoop MultiCat). She is on grain-free Nulo wet cat food and Orijen Cat & Kitten dry. She is up to date on rabies and distemper vaccinations. She is sensitive to vaccinations and gets quite lethargic after receiving them. We switched to the one year rabies vaccination thinking it would be safer for her, but now I wonder if the 3 year would be better so she wouldn't have to receive it as often. I don't know, her next family will need to discuss options with their vet. Our new vet mentioned giving a shot before the vaccination to prevent any reactions, and they also mentioned a rabies vaccination that is only for felines, which might be a safer route.

One pic shows her wearing a sweater, but she's really not into wearing clothes. She does, however, love soft blankets, warm spots, and being close as all Sphynx do I'm sure.

We were thinking of asking a rehoming fee of $100 and returning it if you get an ultrasound done for her heart. She's had them done in the past, but not for quite a few years.

Lyra is a great kitty and we really just want what's best for her, and at this point we feel that is a new home.
Hello !
How sad this must be the most heartbreaking decision you will have ever had to make . My whole heart goes out to you !
I know you will vet each person who comes to adopt her to make sure she will be cared for as you did .
I’m sure you will find the right mum and dad to adopt her because she is just stunning
Sending you massive hugs from the three of us
Xxx❤❤❤Xxx