Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

looking for Sphynx friendly vet in Cleveland, OH

CatJ

Lairian
I just had a bad experience with a vet that I thought was going to be Sphynx friendly. When I asked what anesthesia she used, she said " we always use Ketamine" I asked if she would use Isoflurane, when neutering my boy and the woman basically told me not to tell her how to do her job. I told her I would find another place to take him for altering.
Anyway... can anyone recommend a good Sphynx friendly veterinarian in Northeast Ohio (Cleveland area)?
Thanks
C

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@Cathy Gillmore you just need to educate yourself (which you have been doing). Take that knowledge to a vet and pick their brain. I'll tell you that at my vet's office, they do not use Ketamine on any cat. They told me that this stuff is so strong, it's for a horse!

You need to tell a vet:
No KETAMINE
Use ISO gas instead.
Place sphynx on a heating pad after surgery.
No live rabies vaccine.
No Clavamox antibiotic unless treating a UTI, not an URI.

Also keep in mind that most vets have never really seen skin problems on their clients since most are covered with fur. This can make dx'ing a skin ailment difficult many times.

If your vet is interested in what you are telling them and will comply, then that's the vet for you and your sphynx. If not, leave and find another vet.

barbesj

Lairian
Have you found anyone in the CLE area yet? I just lost my boy Seti due to my Vet not recognizing heart problems in him. I am getting a kitten soon and do NOT want to return to Westpark with her. I'm willing to drive a couple of hours if needed.

Lori Kater

Lairian
@Cathy Gillmore you just need to educate yourself (which you have been doing). Take that knowledge to a vet and pick their brain. I'll tell you that at my vet's office, they do not use Ketamine on any cat. They told me that this stuff is so strong, it's for a horse!

You need to tell a vet:
No KETAMINE
Use ISO gas instead.
Place sphynx on a heating pad after surgery.
No live rabies vaccine.
No Clavamox antibiotic unless treating a UTI, not an URI.

Also keep in mind that most vets have never really seen skin problems on their clients since most are covered with fur. This can make dx'ing a skin ailment difficult many times.

If your vet is interested in what you are telling them and will comply, then that's the vet for you and your sphynx. If not, leave and find another vet.
What pain medication is safe to have the vet use prior to neutering?

CatJ

Lairian
My boy had no pain meds. They did a tiny snip and pulled out the reproductive parts through the tiny incision. No stitches, either. He never bothered with his incision.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
@Lori Kater do you mean anesthesia ? Not sure why one would get pain meds before. Sphynx should never be given Ketamine as an anesthesia. 2 that are safer are ISO and propofol.

Patti