Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Looking to adopt a sphynx baby !

Cats4lyfe666

Lairian
Hi, I currently live in Maine and I've been searching for a sphynx for a while I just can not afford the outrageous 1600 dollars for a cat. I can travel up to 50 miles away ! I can also spend up to 300 dollars on a kitty !♡
Thank you !♡

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cats4lyfe666 Welcome :)
All paws crossed the sphynx stars align
Check here often ... many of us have adopted from members as well as retirees from reputable breeders .

Be sure to read the sphynx info center with great threads
To prep for sphynx life

There is a fraud tip thread as well as a reputable breeder thread
Stay active with us and jump in and enjoy this fun friendly bunch :)

Do you have other pets ? All are lair family

Traci Smith

Lairian
With this breed in particular, price does seem to be a parallel with quality and health. They can be a tricky breed and most breeders that take every precaution to avoid Sphynx health issues do spend a fair amount on those precautions driving up the price of the babies. It’s been my experience you get what you pay for! What you don’t spend up front——you will at the vets. Or so the stories would seem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MeerkatNip

Lairian
It's true about the parallel-even for an American short hair as an example of a breed, you should be prepared to spend a fair amount overall to help them maintain thier health and live thier best lives. Check for a breeder that can give you a payment plan for your sphynx, if you decide to go that route!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cats4lyfe666
All paws crossed
Keep us updated

I also recommend starting a sphynx savings account for vet visits / bills .
They can have uniqueness for multiple visits , treat,nerd visits for heart , skin or poo issues and eating things they are not supposed to ... resulting in surgeries we have seen here .

With adoptees it can happen that many things could be considered pre existing when trying to get pet insurance .

I have a slush fund for my adoptees

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree, the money is insane especially considering the kitten stage only lasts for less than a year. This is why I don't buy kittens......but good news is you can find a healthy Sphynx for $300 or even less :)

Also please look into pet insurance - it's about $40 per month but it's well worth it. You don't want to have a sick cat that you can't afford to take to the vet. And finally, spend a little more to feed higher quality food; it pays for itself.

I will be the devil's advocate and say that you can find a healthy cat for $300 or less.....this comes down to finding a cat that others don't want for some cosmetic reason. Let me give you an example - I had a breeder once offer me for cheap a kitten that nobody wanted to buy because he had one eye that was cross-eyed. I didn't take him because he was kind of far from me and I found another cat, but the kitten could see just fine and didn't need any special care. Or if you are OK with an adult cat, I have adopted several over the years that were between 1 and 2 and 1/2 years old and I only paid $300 or less. These come up for adoption pretty often actually. Adult cats are still cats and they do all the stuff, just not quite as hype as kittens. If you want to go this route, I would suggest contacting breeders and asking if they would put you on a list when they have a retired cat or even an older kitten for some reason in your price range.

Now however, I do think that if you buy a kitten for $300 and they tell you it's healthy and all that stuff......that's probably a backyard breeder and a lot of times those are the ones that have health issues. The old saying is true, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Finally, you can check this page: FBRL Retired Friends: Breed and Summary List

You can stick to 50 miles but like anything else, the farther you cast your net, the sooner you will find what what you're searching for.

Last edited:

oolahappi

Lairian
Good luck, but $300 is a tall order for a sphynx kitten . . . or any purebred kitten for that matter. If you're determined to get a Sphynx, your best bet is an older kitten, maybe 6 or 7 months that was returned to the breeder due to allergies or something. Adults are always available to good homes though, and they can be wonderful. Also, if cost is an issue, please consider what might happen if something goes wrong and kitty needs a surgery or their spay/neuter, or general shots and vaccines. Just keeping it real!

Cats4lyfe666

Lairian
I am just looking for a retired kitty. I call all kitty's babys. Haha. I just really want one and the only person I could find that's a breeder around my area still wants to charge over a grand for a 2 year old.. I can afford the vet bills..

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am just looking for a retired kitty. I call all kitty's babys. Haha. I just really want one and the only person I could find that's a breeder around my area still wants to charge over a grand for a 2 year old.. I can afford the vet bills..
Gotcha. Based on my experience $300 is reasonable but then again, everyone is different and when someone has their mind made up it's not worth my time to try and change them. Keep putting the word out and be patient is all you can do.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cats4lyfe666 bless you for looking to adopt an adult
Keep active here and check often
Several of us have adopted from members ( the max rehoming fee is $250 here on the lair amd often no rehoming fee for the purrfect home ).

Just to share I did adopt a retiree ... she was spayed after one litter . She came papered , HCM scanned , fully vettted , raised underfoot , amd is the absolutely most cuddly love bug as if I had raised her myself since a kitten ... lol I call mine babies too ... I have 4 adoptees thst are all loving like I had them since babies ...

Keep us updated often
Be sure to read th fraud link especially if you are looking outside the lair at ads .
I was nearly scammed as several of us ... feel free to PM to take a peek at any ads you are looking at to give a look for red flags ...

All paws crossed the sphynx stars align :)

Ps : do you have other furkids or nakids?
Have you been owned by a sphynx ?
The sphynx lair info center and threads are purrfect to read and learn and prep for sphynx life :)

Anita Eccleston

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
With this breed in particular, price does seem to be a parallel with quality and health. They can be a tricky breed and most breeders that take every precaution to avoid Sphynx health issues do spend a fair amount on those precautions driving up the price of the babies. It’s been my experience you get what you pay for! What you don’t spend up front——you will at the vets. Or so the stories would seem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You really made some amazing points which are so true ! A good breeder pays for all kinds of test and require certs from the daddies hooman it’s complicated to breed I couldn’t risk the responsibility of baby sphynx cause if they got sick I’d never forget myself .. hence I pay the price to get me a healthy baby every time xxx❤❤❤Xxx

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Cats4lyfe666 positive vibes continue ...
Stay active here and check often ..
Several of us have adopted from members
(Max rehoming fee on the lair per rules is $250 or less , some have no rehoming fees,
To approved home .

All Paws crossed the sphynx stars align
The right one will find you ((Hugs))

pdxxsphynxx2017

Lairian
Hi, I currently live in Maine and I've been searching for a sphynx for a while I just can not afford the outrageous 1600 dollars for a cat. I can travel up to 50 miles away ! I can also spend up to 300 dollars on a kitty !♡
Thank you !♡

Hi there! Have you found a sphynx yet?