Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Loose stool issue?

Pohn

Lairian
Hello guys, I am having an issue with my sphynx's stool. It is really stinky and usually soft, loose. He is eating the Royal Canin Sphynx kibble and to keep his interest, usually gets fish or chicken breast for dinner. Sometimes he gets catmilk as treat, he really loves it.
I have been trying to figure out what causes the loose stool. It looks like the sphynx kibble is fine, tried feeding him only the kibble and his stool was better. Read on several forums that Royal canin Sensible might be good for his digestive system so bought a pack, trying it out now.
But I would like to know if you guys experienced such issue. Got any advice for me? Thank you! ☺

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
How long have you had your baby? Did you have a stool sample test done?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Cooked human food should be ok. Usually it wouldn't have any seasoning on it, but with leftovers it's understood there will be seasoning. But as long as it's not too much, it should still be ok.

Anyway the way to figure this out is to feed just the regular cat food for maybe 2 weeks. Then, introduce one new thing, like chicken for example. Continue with regular cat food and chicken for 2 more weeks. Then trade the chicken for fish.

The idea is to make sure the poop is normal, and add one thing. If the poop becomes soft then you know this food is the problem.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
is your boy an adult cat or kitten? And how long do you have him? If you only have him for a short while I would ask the vet to take a poop sample to rule out any health issues

Pohn

Lairian

Have him for 3 months now. Did not go to the vet for stool sample yet as he was constantly checked during his time at his breeder as well. He was castrated 2 months ago and was dewormed about two weeks ago. So I assume this could be connected to some digestive system issue as sometimes his stool is totally fine.
When I got him, the breeder suggested a new kibble for him, but that caused him diarrhea so changed it to the RC Sphynx kibble and he was given some probiotics to help with the food change.
He is 8 months old btw...

Pohn

Lairian
is your boy an adult cat or kitten? And how long do you have him? If you only have him for a short while I would ask the vet to take a poop sample to rule out any health issues
He is 8 months old and have him for 3 months. He was constantly checked by the vet at his breeder and we had him castrated 2 months ago. He was dewormed about two weeks ago. Went through some food changes after we got him but he always got probiotics to help with the food change.
Is the stool test for only worms or could it show digestion related issues as well?

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
I’d get the stool test done. Getting the test to rule some other possibilities like Giardia will get you on the right route to then sort out of it is allergies. Even with a breeder saying they dewormed, vets always recommend on a wellness check.

Pohn

Lairian
I’d get the stool test done. Getting the test to rule some other possibilities like Giardia will get you on the right route to then sort out of it is allergies. Even with a breeder saying they dewormed, vets always recommend on a wellness check.

Thank you. Probably the best to seek professional help. :)

Pohn

Lairian
Hi, just a little update, we went to the vet and took a stool sample. I should get the results today. The vet suspects parasites but he said the cause could be food allergy or intolerance also. Got some probiotics for a couple of days.
It's silly to say but I really hope the parasite test will be positive so we could just give him some meds and clear the little bastards out. Allergy tests would be a bummer and I don't really want to feed him with hypoallergenic food. We'll see. :)

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Will be looking for your update...fingers are crossed.

Sheldon13

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Hopefully whatever it is it’s a simple fix.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Pohn

Lairian
Thank you all. So good news and bad news, the parasite test came back negative so we're going back to the vet on Thursday to move on to the next step. Let's hope this won't be the beginning of endless tests. :D
I'll keep you updated. :)

Yoda mom

Staff member
positive vibes, just an fyi, some vets will treat for giardia in case of a false negative. also can ask about tritrichomonas or crypto, we have seen sometimes . my vet told me not to food allergy test bcz I could get many false negatives or positives. each vet has their own school of thought on allergy testing. I ended up doing a elimination diet trying different novel proteins,. keeping in mind slow transition and it can take weeks to see if a certain food works. hugs n positive vibes for Thurs vet visit. pls keep us updated.

Pohn

Lairian
Okay, so we visited the vet today. He suggested a hypoallergenic dry food (Calibra Vet Hypoallergenic) so I bought a pack from the doc. He said to feed him with this for about 4 weeks (+ 2 more weeks probiotics) to see whether or not his stool becomes normal.

1. If yes, then it is definitely allergy and the little monster should stay on the hypoallergenic food. We could then try out different meat types to see if he tolerates some so his diet wouldn't be so boring. However, the doc did not recommend a lot of chicken meat as it turns out the high protein might cause kidney problems later.

2. If his stool won't improve then he might need antibiotic therapy but the doc hopes it wouldn't be the case because that stuff would totally kill his intestinal flora. Fingers crossed.

BTW, he just had a taste from his new food and thank God he enjoys it. I will mix it with his current food for a couple of days to help him adjust. :D Let's hope for the best outcome. :))))