Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Los Angeles and looking

Status
Not open for further replies.

leandraamber

Lairian
Hello, everybody! I'm in Los Angeles and have been researching rescuing a Sphynx. I've looked through PetFinder, joined a Yahoo! Group, and alas have come across this community. Reading through all the threads has been very helpful.
If anyone has any info on a kittie needing a home on the West Coast, please let me know. I'd love to be able to provide a warm home =) Am totally fine with traveling for visit/pickup.
Also not opposed to purchase but -- you know, would love to rescue.

here's my email: [email protected]

PitRottMommy

Banned
Hello, everybody! I'm in Los Angeles and have been researching rescuing a Sphynx. I've looked through PetFinder, joined a Yahoo! Group, and alas have come across this community. Reading through all the threads has been very helpful.
If anyone has any info on a kittie needing a home on the West Coast, please let me know. I'd love to be able to provide a warm home =) Am totally fine with traveling for visit/pickup.

I'm surprised that you didn't mention seeing Buster on Petfinder. He's an older model sphynx in Los Angeles. Visit his link here: http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=14271187

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
How many sites did you join today?
Those are good places to look besides the one I gave you.
The ladys name I gave you lives in Glendale.

leandraamber

Lairian
Ha Ha
today I joined two-- the yahoo group and this one!
I did find Buster, and he's already found a home =)
The yahoo group was really helpful! I got a handful of replies and have met some really nice people so far *present company included*

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You will love a sphynx.
Do not rh to get one.
You need to be careful who you use.
Ask if they do HCM scans.
It is very important.

Brooke

Banned
Welcome to the forum, leandraamber,
You're going to LOVE being owned by a sphynx someday soon!

Here's yet another website to keep an eye on...this is where I found one of my kitties:

www.kijiji.com

I just did a quick search in Los Angeles for sphynxes and they only had new, full price kittens listed at the moment, but on occasion a breeder will list a retired adult for sale here and also private owners will list their cats for sale or free. Didn't check any surrounding areas, because I don't know how far you want to drive!

This site is where I found my boy, Walter. (2 years old, his owner had to give him up for medical reasons, $400) You'll want to sign up for the kijiji alerts (just fill out the quick form on the left side of the page) and the website will email you whenever a new listing for a sphynx is posted. This way you won't have to check the site every day.

I was up checking my email at 2am, got my alert from kijiji.com about Walter's ad and answered it that instant. It was a good thing I did, because I was the first one of about 50 people to answer the ad, and that's the only reason I was able to adopt Walter - first come, first served...I still thank my lucky stars!

I found my other girl Helen just a few weeks ago on Craigslist, so that's another place to look, but that's one you have to check on a daily basis...and with Craigslist, let me just say, "buyer beware"- There are a lot of weirdos on that website! :Dizzy:

Good luck on the sphynx hunt! I know the right one will find his/her way to you. It always seems to work out that way. :Smile:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Ha Ha
today I joined two-- the yahoo group and this one!
I did find Buster, and he's already found a home =)
The yahoo group was really helpful! I got a handful of replies and have met some really nice people so far *present company included*

I'm glad to hear Buster found a home. Sphynx don't usually stay in rescue too long. It's unfortunate that they haven't taken his ad down yet.

I was successful in finding 2 companions on Petfinder, like a few others, only these two turned out to be same-litter mates to my original cat, Baldwin. I agree with the others, keep an eye out on multiple sites and be ready to put down a payment or snag the right cat at a moments notice. The generally aren't available for a long time.

I know it's not easy with rescue, but beware that this breed does often harbor a heart condition that is lethal called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). In your spare time for looking at cats, research this because you need to know about it in advance. A large portion of sphynx (especially those that are sold cheap) have not been HCM screened and/or their parents weren't screened, which is a big deal since this happens to be genetic. If an adoptive family can give you information that you can trace back on a cat, it becomes that much easier to lessen the chance of HCM (if the owner was responsible and scanned their breeders).

I wish you the best of luck.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member

Hi and welcome to our site:Smile: Best of luck in your search I am sure you will find A sphynx, just be patient, and enjoy the site all the people are full of info and laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back