Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Love

Kelsey Barnes

Lairian
I feel a little crazy about doing this but I think that other sphynx moms will understand. In a way it is funny, and people joke with me about it but people have no freaking clue how much I stress myself out over Gretta. I LOVE Greta so much that I literally have anxiety that gets to me even when I am at work. There are times I have to go to the bathroom at work to avoid looking like a crazy person and just sit there and close my eyes and go through my "leaving" process all over in my head because I'm that scared about Gretta getting out. On my Facebook and on here and lots of places online I see posts of people posting a reward for their sphynx that got out. This scares me so bad.... I'm talking I can't stand to think about it. My heart goes out to these people. To think of Gretta shivering in the streets. Oh my gosh. Even just writing that i have to get up off my couch and walk around. Uuugghhghghgh. What the hell is wrong with me?!?!? Pardon my language but does anyone else worry like this? I want to take Gretta out on a leash in the summer time but I am so scared that she will "like" it outside and want to run towards the door. I will admit that I am too hard on my family about this stuff, but I am a complete FREAK about watching the door when I go out. I literally open the door and slide out as quick as I can and watch my feet the whole time. Sometimes even when I am ABSOLUTELY sure that she didn't get out.... I get this gnawing feeling and have to dig for my keys.... unlock the door.... go find Gretta and do it all over again!!!!! She don't even run towards the door. I hope this does not attract any negative comments because trust me I LOVE GRETTA but if she is within 10 feet of the door when I am going in or out I make the "pppppsssssttttttt" noise at her and ty to scare her away or give her some kind of negative reaction when she is close. (If that's mean, then I guess I am mean because I DO NOT want my baby getting out). I have been freaking out today and I realize it's stupid but I hope there is someone out there who struggles the same as me (not that I wish that upon anyone) that I can kind of lean on. Gretta is as healthy as a horse but I know sphynx breed has a lot of health issues. (Gretta has IBS and almost died at one time.... I thought the vet was going to get a restraining order on me, NO JOKE). (I was literally the CRAZY naked cat lady). I see a lot of sphynx on here that die at under ten years, and it seems that these sphynx were VERY well taken care of and adored! Gretta is going on 5 years old now and I am freaking out. I literally do NOT know what I would do without Gretta. It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. I have this memory in my headbthat is driving me crazy. When Gretta was really sick... we did all kinds of testing (we were eating Ramon noodles every night.....yup I was desperate) we didn't know what was wrong with her and one of the tests came back and said that her white blood cell count was extremely high. Well, long story short the antibiotics they were giving Gretta made her worse. She was PITIFUL. She looked like a skeleton. She was so weak she would have constant disareah. Well.... I tinkered with her diet and straightened it out. Thank GOD! This has been over a year ago. I am terrified to change her food because things are great and I do NOT want anything to happen that will make her take a step backwards. The vet has told me that a high WBC count is a big sign on lymphoma. I have seen a lot of sphynx on here that have died of lymphoma. I'm terrified to take her back to the vet because of the irrational fear that if you try to fix something that is not broken..... it's gunna break. If Gretta was to have lymphoma (I PRAY TO THE GOOD LORD ABOVE that this is me being a hypochondriac.) what would the warning signs be and is there a way to treat it?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
No I know everyone here will completely understand.
It probably makes you stress and worry, even more
because of, her sickness was so bad.
I would not change her food, because, she's doing
to good. You can get camera's for inside your house
You can look in on her from your phone or computer, etc.
There is several, just Google them. ADT offers them.
But, they agree others. Checking and being careful,
knowing, she didn't get out the doors. This is all you can do.
You can put the camera in the rooms she stays in. I think
this will relieve your worry and stress.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I feel a little crazy about doing this but I think that other sphynx moms will understand. In a way it is funny, and people joke with me about it but people have no freaking clue how much I stress myself out over Gretta. I LOVE Greta so much that I literally have anxiety that gets to me even when I am at work. There are times I have to go to the bathroom at work to avoid looking like a crazy person and just sit there and close my eyes and go through my "leaving" process all over in my head because I'm that scared about Gretta getting out. On my Facebook and on here and lots of places online I see posts of people posting a reward for their sphynx that got out. This scares me so bad.... I'm talking I can't stand to think about it. My heart goes out to these people. To think of Gretta shivering in the streets. Oh my gosh. Even just writing that i have to get up off my couch and walk around. Uuugghhghghgh. What the hell is wrong with me?!?!? Pardon my language but does anyone else worry like this? I want to take Gretta out on a leash in the summer time but I am so scared that she will "like" it outside and want to run towards the door. I will admit that I am too hard on my family about this stuff, but I am a complete FREAK about watching the door when I go out. I literally open the door and slide out as quick as I can and watch my feet the whole time. Sometimes even when I am ABSOLUTELY sure that she didn't get out.... I get this gnawing feeling and have to dig for my keys.... unlock the door.... go find Gretta and do it all over again!!!!! She don't even run towards the door. I hope this does not attract any negative comments because trust me I LOVE GRETTA but if she is within 10 feet of the door when I am going in or out I make the "pppppsssssttttttt" noise at her and ty to scare her away or give her some kind of negative reaction when she is close. (If that's mean, then I guess I am mean because I DO NOT want my baby getting out). I have been freaking out today and I realize it's stupid but I hope there is someone out there who struggles the same as me (not that I wish that upon anyone) that I can kind of lean on. Gretta is as healthy as a horse but I know sphynx breed has a lot of health issues. (Gretta has IBS and almost died at one time.... I thought the vet was going to get a restraining order on me, NO JOKE). (I was literally the CRAZY naked cat lady). I see a lot of sphynx on here that die at under ten years, and it seems that these sphynx were VERY well taken care of and adored! Gretta is going on 5 years old now and I am freaking out. I literally do NOT know what I would do without Gretta. It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it. I have this memory in my headbthat is driving me crazy. When Gretta was really sick... we did all kinds of testing (we were eating Ramon noodles every night.....yup I was desperate) we didn't know what was wrong with her and one of the tests came back and said that her white blood cell count was extremely high. Well, long story short the antibiotics they were giving Gretta made her worse. She was PITIFUL. She looked like a skeleton. She was so weak she would have constant disareah. Well.... I tinkered with her diet and straightened it out. Thank GOD! This has been over a year ago. I am terrified to change her food because things are great and I do NOT want anything to happen that will make her take a step backwards. The vet has told me that a high WBC count is a big sign on lymphoma. I have seen a lot of sphynx on here that have died of lymphoma. I'm terrified to take her back to the vet because of the irrational fear that if you try to fix something that is not broken..... it's gunna break. If Gretta was to have lymphoma (I PRAY TO THE GOOD LORD ABOVE that this is me being a hypochondriac.) what would the warning signs be and is there a way to treat it?
If she hasn't tried to run out in the 5 years you have had her, I doubt she will or even has interest in the outdoors, just be careful with guests going in or out and ensuring the door is closed and educating them on door etiquette, I think you'll be fine and so will Gretta with your alertness. :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
@Kelsey Barnes yep you've got the worried sphynx mommy virus too. And you'll never get over the virus. We all here understand your worries.
My crew is allowed to wander around in the garden and Jade loves to walk on a leash outside the garden. I always let them out the backdoor. That leads to the garden that has a big fence. I don't allow them to come close to the front door (that leads directly to the streets).

One time I went to my work, leaving through the backdoor as always. I have to bike to the railstation about 25 minutes to take the train. When I arrived at the station it suddenly crossed mind that I didn't pay much attention when I left my house. All of the sudden I was so afraid one of my sphynxes slipped outside and was in the garden now. So what did I do: I phoned my work to say I would be late, biked back to find them all safe and comfy IN the house of course. And all of the sudden I saw the movie about my leaving the house the first time again and realised I did check trough the window if they were all inside. Sigh the virus hit again.

So you're not alone in this. Try to do what I try: enjoy every minute you have with Gretta and don't let your worries spoil the time you have with her.

Natasja

Kelsey Barnes

Lairian
No I know everyone here will completely understand.
It probably makes you stress and worry, even more
because of, her sickness was so bad.
I would not change her food, because, she's doing
to good. You can get camera's for inside your house
You can look in on her from your phone or computer, etc.
There is several, just Google them. ADT offers them.
But, they agree others. Checking and being careful,
knowing, she didn't get out the doors. This is all you can do.
You can put the camera in the rooms she stays in. I think
this will relieve your worry and stress.
Yes. I want to do this so bad. I need to research pricing.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We have 3 Fujikams....we do not have set up to record, but can look in realtime and see the cats, move the camera and can also talk to them and they have night vision. Very reasonably priced. I have seen others recommend Petcube cams as well. When we are on vacation, it really helps me keep an eye on them and see that things are "normal" Once you get a camera, you realize just how much these guys sleep lol.

SupplyPipe28

Lairian
Aw, you are definitely not alone @Kelsey Barnes and your anxiety/concerns/fears aren't crazy - you simply love and care deeply about Gretta, as we all do with our own furless soul mates. I do echo @Toa and Ross sentiment though - enjoy every single moment with Gretta and try not to get too wound up in your worries. Save some of that energy for cuddles and wet nose kisses. ;):love:

Mal

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
"Petcube Play" was on sale on boxing day so I bought Pete one...haha who am I kidding... so I bought myself one I mean ;)
and in the 2 weeks we have had it I have been able to maybe catch Pete walking around twice....other than that
it appears he must sleep the entire day away until I get home.
Petcube Play has audio so you can hear whats going on at home and you can also talk to your kitteh! I also kind of look at it
as a security feature.

That might help ease your stress/anxiety while away from home.

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Yep, I can tell you that they sleep all day.
*eyes corner basket*
Either that, or she's a vampire.

Back