Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Low cost Neutering and Ketamine

Morgan

Lairian
When I originally got Pierogi from the breeder I was in a much better place financially. I was living with cheap rent and good roommates, and working a job that paid well. That was months ago, and it wasn't long after I got Pierogi that everything started going down hill. Huge changes have taken place in my life since. I now have my own apartment, just me and the animals, and I'm working a new job. Two things, though: the rent has doubled from the place I lived in when I first got Pierogi to this new home, and the new job (though I am much happier with the new profession) pays significantly less... like, $2/hr less. That's a big difference for me, and I have ZERO funds left after bills and feeding my animals. Some weeks, I don't have enough for my own groceries. I'm doing what I can to bring in extra funds where I can, but as it is, I'm just sustaining myself. I'm looking into new options to better my financial situation, and I get a healthy flow of custom pet portrait commissions in from my etsy, but nothing is enough to make a significant difference right now.

I've been putting off neutering Pierogi for quite some time. At this point, I've more than breached contract with his breeders, because I was supposed to get him neutered by either 5 months or when he reached 5 lbs (both happened at the same time). Thankfully they have not kept in contact with me because they're raising a baby and no longer breeding the cats for now. Anyway, I've put it off for way too long. He turns a year old on the 26th of November, which is NOT that far away, and I am absolutely horrified that I have waited this long. So far his behavior has not changed... He hasn't been marking or anything like that, but my other cat Nimbus, who is Neutered, has started to mount him obsessively. Pierogi cries at night and wakes me up because Nimbus has him by the scruff, and this happens repetitively. I don't know how much longer this can continue before eventually something gives and they get into a serious argument and Pierogi starts spraying or someone gets hurt.

I need advice, here I go:

I know Ketamine is bad for cats, especially so with Sphynxes. I've called around vets in Chicago and most begin at $215 for neutering cats. I simply cannot swing that. There is no way I can afford this cost, but only private practices will agree to neuter without Ketamine. I've called around to all the rescues and charity clinics in the city to see if any of the places that offer low cost neuters could possibly preform the neuter without Ketamine. Every single one said no, because the cocktail that they give the cats is already pre-mixed.

This sucks, because that means that I go from paying only $40 for a neuter to $215+ elsewhere. That is ALOT of money and a BIG jump in cost. I can do $40. I would happily go without for a couple of weeks just to have one less thing on my to-do list. $215 though, no way. But I'm also willing and I think able to pay up to $125 for a neuter at a private clinic that will preform the neuter without Ketamine.

So what do I do? I'm desperate enough to take the one-time risk and neuter Pierogi for $40 at a low-cost clinic. But should I take the risk? Does anyone know very cheap, but reliable vets in the city of Chicago (maybe suburbs), who would preform a surgery without using Ketamine?

Anyone else have any other help or suggestions? Anything helps, and the kids (and I) thank you!

1471315_809791362376288_430161937004802469_n.jpg

936682_799240766764681_5164500196129050737_n.jpg

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Morgan Hello , Pierogi and your babies are adorable-- I am glad you reached out and I am sure others will chime in.

I would not take a chance with a ketamine neuter.

I got a care credit card to use at the vet and my dentist- you can check their website and call and ask lots of questions to see if it will work for you- they have a search box on their website to find a participating vet by zip code-
Basically charges over $200 have a 6 most to pay in full with a min payment of about $25 but absolutely has to be paid in full in 6 mos or you will get hit with huge accrued interest. The minimum monthly won't pay it in full - you have to take responsibility to absolutely make sure it is paid in full inthat 6 month time and male all the minimum payments too- it can be an option based on your personal circumstances..

Keep calling around too- I got my adoptee neutered thru a low cost spay neuter clinic thru ccfaw.org
Without ketamine- I don't know if they can refer you to anyone in your area..
It used a local vet who also runs the weekend shot clinic-

You can call the weekend shot clinics in your area - like the ones at walgreens etc and ask them about referrals to neuter - often they refer to a local vet you can call and ask if they use ISO instead of Ketamine-

I got My adopted 1 year old Toby neutered and microchipped at same time discounted through the shot clinic referral to the same local vet in the area - the only thing was that the contact person for the shot clinic had to call the vet office who then calls you for the discounted neuter appointment.

Contact the Humane society too and see who they can refer you to in the area

**I googled "low cost cat neuter in Chicago, IL "and there are several sites listed that might help

I send best wishes for you and your babies and hope someone will chime in on the information for your area..

Last edited:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with @Yoda mom and will add that I know here you can contact the aspca and purchase a low cost spay certificate and then use that at most vets. See if they offer something like that near you and then check the list of vets they offer. Even check with your local animal control, shelters, even the town municipal may help guide you.

Wishing you luck!

Morgan

Lairian
Thanks everyone. I'm waiting for responses from my area. I've already called all the low-cost clinics in the area, but I will try to see if I'm able to purchase a low-cost neuter voucher from the ASPCA that allows me to get the neuter done at my private vet.

I'm also going to continue to ask if the vet will allow payment plans. I can't believe the number of vets that don't in this area!

Back