Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

lua's first bath!

LuaLove

Lairian
Hi everybody! I got my baby about two weeks ago, and waited two weeks to bathe her since she had been spayed two days before I got her. Well, tonight I decided it was time so I didn't know what to expect but to my surprise she did great! I bathed her and she jumped out of the bath once, but really was fine and didn't cry or anything. Then I cleaned her ears, she whimpered a little but didn't do too bad, then I clipped and cleaned her nails. I thought she might try and bite me, but she didn't. She was wonderful! On her very last nail she kept moving and it took me a while to clean it, she cried a little bit too. I hope I wasn't hurting her! I'm just so proud of my baby, and how well she's been doing I wanted to share!

I also gave her a treat afterwards. I gave her some friskies seafood canned food! I felt so bad! lol. Also a quick question, I've read on here a few times that it's okay to use human nail clippers to clip their nails. Is this true?

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I am glad she did ok in her first bath but I do not understand why the breeder let her go only 2 days after getting altered.
You are suppose to wait at least 7-10 days after they are altered before they can go to the homes.
You can use reg nail clippers but I prefer the ones the groomers use because they are safer.
Even people at the shows use the people clippers.

LuaLove

Lairian
That's interesting, I didn't know that! I know that when we had our dogs neutered we didn't have to wait long before getting them back either.
The breeder was a vet so I thought that would be the best place to get her from.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

I had to wait for my cats after they were altered.
That is strange the breeder let her go so soon.
I have to wait for my new kitten after she is altered also for at least 7 days.
You do not have to wait as long with the boys because they do not get cut like the girls.

Inferno12

Banned
I wish my "kids" were that good with baths! Mine are a struggle every time

As for the clippers, I use human toenail clippers. I think they work the best and cut the cleanest. Fingernail clippers seem to be a tad too small for their back paws so the toenail ones work best.

fezmarie73

Lairian
Lua is a very pretty cat! Congratulations!

Ducky doesn't mind baths so much, either, but I actually have to have my feet in the tub with him for him to feel more relaxed. Yes! It's pretty funny. He plays with my toes. I have toys for him, too, but the toes are a bit more interactive (OWTCH!).

Yes, even for a male, breeders usually wait about 7 days after altering before giving the kittens over to their forever homes. My breeder won't give a female to her new family for 14 days, actually! She likes to ensure that the kittens are healthy and happy cats, so she keeps an eye on them to make sure they are healthy enough after surgery to go to their new owners. :ThumbsUp:

Keep us posted on the fun things she does as she gets older. Sphynx cats have so much personality!!