Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

LUIGI LICKS :P and he won't stop.... Help!

joeturbo26

Lairian
Anyone else have this issue?!

He's always been a licker, blankets, hands, feet, couches, anywhere he plops on me... And himself of course!

I feel like its getting worse actually. There used to be moments of chill out and relax--but lately my shadow (he should have been a Siamese cat attached to my head.. No pun intended) he will literally plop anywhere on me as he pleases and lick himself to sleep. Be it me, him, my clothes!

His sandpaper tongue is ruining my sweaters, leaving my skin raw, and giving himself a rash.

Quite frankly I love him but it's annoying. He's healthy--I don't think it's an allergy, went down the "change the food route" already.

Oh yeah and he loves the taste of bitter apple. :-/

Help!

NYYoda

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ha:) As I am reading your post and typing- my friend Yoda is licking my cashemir sweater
So, if you find solution - please let me know :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone else have this issue?!

He's always been a licker, blankets, hands, feet, couches, anywhere he plops on me... And himself of course!

I feel like its getting worse actually. There used to be moments of chill out and relax--but lately my shadow (he should have been a Siamese cat attached to my head.. No pun intended) he will literally plop anywhere on me as he pleases and lick himself to sleep. Be it me, him, my clothes!

His sandpaper tongue is ruining my sweaters, leaving my skin raw, and giving himself a rash.

Quite frankly I love him but it's annoying. He's healthy--I don't think it's an allergy, went down the "change the food route" already.

Oh yeah and he loves the taste of bitter apple. :-/

Help!
Hi,
How old was he when you got him? Sometimes when kittens are taken too young it causes issues like licking and suckling when grown. Is this a new behavior?

Also if he like the bitter apple you can use a vinegar, mist lightly as not to soak the material.

Has anything changed? Moved, food, litter, new animals or change in job from night to days? Changed laundry detergent? Change meaning anything that can cause stress.

Sometimes stressful things can cause this as well.

When licking himself, is it in the same general area? There could be an issue with numbness or nerves in that particular spot on his skin.

Do you have a playtime with him? Get a wand with a feather on the end type toy and when he licks himself or you spend 10-15 minutes playing with him. He may be bored, this can also cause the licking condition. Make sure he has plenty of toys, cat nip toys a cat tree etc.

Good luck!

gothicmist

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Jedi is a licker. but only with my husband. for them its a bonding thing, he adores my husband but doesn't do it to me.

perhaps he loves you to bits :)