Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

lump on bottom lip

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Gulliver had a bump on his bottom lip, right under one of his canine teeth. It looks like a skin colored bump with some black in it, I would say it looks like a blackhead but I don't see where it would pop, the black looks way under the skin. The bump is a bit bigger than the tip of a pen. Do you think its acne? Will it go away? It's been a couple days now and I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet, it does not bother him at all.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If it was outside his mouth, I would think, maybe, it was acne. But if its inside his mouth by a tooth it could possibly be an abscess, the black bit may be infection or something under the skin like a splinter of something.

Is it causing him pain? See how it is tomorrow/ see if it develops a head. If not then a quick check up may be in order.

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
No pain he let's me touch it and dosn't seem to even know its there, and it's just on the outside... right where the inside meats the outside right were his canine comes down

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think anything mouth related is worth a check up, just to be on the safe side.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Lemmy has the same thing. He gets it on one side and then it goes away after a few days,but then it will come back on the other side. I am not sure what it is either....

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I would take a quick trip to the vet if it doesn't get better within a week, or if it gets larger or anything to that effect a sooner trip to the vet!:ThumbsUp:
And as always please keep us posted on updates so we know he is ok!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have no advice but hope its nothing serious and goes away:ThumbsUp:

Gulliver had a bump on his bottom lip, right under one of his canine teeth. It looks like a skin colored bump with some black in it, I would say it looks like a blackhead but I don't see where it would pop, the black looks way under the skin. The bump is a bit bigger than the tip of a pen. Do you think its acne? Will it go away? It's been a couple days now and I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet, it does not bother him at all.
Pictures?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm not sure, but I hope it is nothing. Glad it doesn't seem to bother him. Please keep us posted!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
the bump is getting smaller, so I will give it some more time and see what happens, it really looks like an ingrown hair or blemish. It's not bothering him, so maybe it will go away. I called the vet and he said to give it time if it's not bothersome, cat' s are just prone to skin problems.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Without A picture I am going to guess that it is A black head under the skin on the smooth part of the mouth kind of where his tooth sits? I have seen these from time to time and they do go away. I tend to always try to pop them:Smile: so they are gone quicker.

susi794

Staff member
Nofuratu gets black heads in the same area you are describing. I pop them but they eventually come back....make sure you not feeding from plastic dishes, can cause feline acne.
I didn't know this either...the things you can learn here....it boggles the mind.:Study::Shok: