Welcome to the Sphynxlair community! A community dedicated to the Sphynx breed!

Lump on Underside of Tail?

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Ack, just wanted to check if anyone had seen a tail injury like this? Molly has a lump (about a nickel-width) on the underside of her tail, about halfway down? She can still hold it up and swing it around like normal, no bruising or redness. I have no idea how she might have injured it, or what it could be from? The top of the tail feels normal. Suggestions? I can take her in to get it checked, just hate being the person who overreacts.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Do you have a picture? That might help :)
Sorry I'm of no help, just hope your baby is ok

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Poor little thing was embarrassed that I was taking some tail shots LOL... she would barely cooperate. You can see about halfway down the tail that there is a bump sticking out... I only discovered it by petting my hand down her tail, then you can really feel it.
20170509_213601.jpg
20170509_213621.jpg
20170509_213717.jpg

nudieluvr

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Haha. I love your sign in the back. ;) I would have your vet check it out. It could be a mass or it could've gotten injured somehow. Let us know.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
Usually when we see this is it a break or a severe sprain. They do recommend a vet check with tail injuries just to be safe. It is a great sign she can move it.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
We went to the vet, and they took xrays. So it is just soft tissue damage, the bones are all aligned. Phew. Poor little thing screamed bloody murder while they were taking the xrays, and even released her bowels she was so mad and scared. So ice, heat, and kitty advil is what she gets.

Catzzzmeow

Staff member
So happy you took her to the vet. Kudos to you. Tail injuries are not something to play with. I did not want to scare you this morning so I responded with a very generic reply. Some breaks wind up being very scary and amputation can happen.Most tail injuries occur from falls and being slammed in things like doors or from being stepped on. Hoping she heals fast. Thank you for updating us. You're a great Mommy and no doubt will give the extra love and comfort to help her along.

Patti

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
So happy you took her to the vet. Kudos to you. Tail injuries are not something to play with. I did not want to scare you this morning so I responded with a very generic reply. Some breaks wind up being very scary and amputation can happen.Most tail injuries occur from falls and being slammed in things like doors or from being stepped on. Hoping she heals fast. Thank you for updating us. You're a great Mommy and no doubt will give the extra love and comfort to help her along.

Patti
I know about the scary amputation stuff... I just thought since she had full range of motion that it was ok and not serious. Then I went to shoo her downstairs this morning with my foot and it bumped her tail... she let out a mighty howl and I knew it had to be something bad :(

Sheldon13

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@Catzzzmeow I too was trying to avoid scaring her. My Ellie had a bump from an injury and it ended up having to be amputated. I didn't want to just throw that out there and cause a panic though. :)

I'm glad it isn't the case here.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
sounds like a clogged gland.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk
The lump still hasn't gone away... do you have experience with a clogged gland? I looked online quickly and saw they have glands sort of mid-tail there

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@MollysMom Did the vet give you a rough idea of how long it should take to heal?
Not really... I need to call her back after the holiday monday and let her know how Molly is doing. She gave 7 days of kitty advil but we only gave her 4, since it was upsetting her IBD. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, and the general swelling has gone down, but there is still a firm bump in that spot

sphynxmoms

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@MollysMom I'm sorry I have no experience with this at all...I tried looking it up on line but it only talked about anal glands and blackheads...so that's not much help! Please let us know how your lil love is doing.

Maddie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The Advil could be for swelling a bit too, it's an anti inflammatory. Too bad it caused problems:(

@Catzzzmeow I too was trying to avoid scaring her. My Ellie had a bump from an injury and it ended up having to be amputated. I didn't want to just throw that out there and cause a panic though. :)

I'm glad it isn't the case here.
How was the amputation process? Did everything heal? Has it affected your cat negatively?

Hello,
Thank you for asking! Last Friday Mia went in for a dental, mast removal for a bump close to the nipple and aspirate/punch biopsy for a bump on the tail. Dental went well, she is very sensitive under anesthesia, last time her body temp got a little too low, same happeded again. She also kept waking up! Anyways, she came out of surgery fine! During the aspirate of the tail bump whatever it was dissolved, it was something cystic. There was nothing left to biopsy but the aspirate fluid was sent in. The mast has a pretty good incision, watching it so it doesn’t get infected, it opened slightly but I’ve been keeping it clean and I’ve been keeping ger from licking...almost impossible! Today all the results came in, the bump on the tail was inconclusive, vet is not concerned further. We will see if it comes back and how to address it. The blue bump close to the nipple was not cancerous. All is well! Im definitely going to start brushing her teeth more do she doesn’t need to get a dental every year. I did have a dream she had a heart attack on the table. But all is good! It’s risky putting her under so hopefully no more bumps are worrisome and like I said I’m planning to be more proactive with her dental health! Thanks for checking in!!