Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Lumps on hind legs

RaisinBambino

Lairian
Been petting my little Raisin&I really love the feeling of sphynx skin. As I’m petting every part of her body, I discovered two symmetrical small lumps on her hind legs where were muscles are. As strangely as it is, she’s still a kitten (4mos old). Its easily moveable and is soft. I’ve never seen lumps on such a small creature ever since I’ve been a Vet tech so it definitely sparks my interest. AND being that I’ve only had her for about a month, can she have developed this so soon?

It became a major shock to me&I’m constantly bothered by it now. So I went and started examining my other cat in the same area and he didnt have those lumps and he’s a problematic health child already. Now I’m super curious as to what these lumps could possibly be and if it’s maybe a sphynx thing?

You cant visibly see the lumps unless you squeeze her legs. She’s not bothered by me touching it and doesn’t show any signs of pain. She’s still e/d well. Appetite never declined even when she had a minor URI. Urinating&defecating normal. Her activity has been my entertainment. Watching her fly around my bed. So I’m really curious if anyone has experienced this?
bf6ec03e5a5bc225b3e4a92b119aefb0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RaisinBambino

Lairian
My vote is also for lymph nodes since it is symmetrical. Could be fighting off an infection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you Sheldon&everyone who contributed to this post. You guys calmed my mind a lot. I was totally thinking the worst of this&was so worried for her.

RaisinBambino

Lairian
Hey guys, just giving further update. Took her in to work with me&was examined by the vet. He was surprised to notice her lymph nodes so swollen back there. Immediately ran a TBF and sent some blood out as well to run a viral panel.

Bloodwork came out fine. Very minor things were low and only a couple were border line elevated. What’s strange to the doctor is that not even her WBC was elevated. It was in normal levels. Also she’s showing no signs of illness. Eating&drinking normal. She will eat her meal&go for my other cat. Even with her swollen mandibular lymph nodes. Normal hyper kitten activity. Urinating&defecating normal. No diarrhea.

So now, we play the waiting game to wait for the viral panel. Although she was viral tested by the breeder and came back negative, I’m so anxious to see the results. In the meantime, he prescribed clindamycin and interferon. Also had me take home some sucralfate as he stated the clindamycin might cause diarrhea.

RaisinBambino

Lairian
Hey guys, just got the labs results back and Raisin is positive for FIP. This is soo heartbreaking for me and I’m not too familiar with cat disease as I’m more of a dog person. Please advise further of any experience you guys have.

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I am so so very sorry to hear the news. Sending you so many hugs. I don't have direct experience, but I'm sure others will chime in with links or information. Again, hugs.

RaisinBambino

Lairian
I am so so very sorry to hear the news. Sending you so many hugs. I don't have direct experience, but I'm sure others will chime in with links or information. Again, hugs.

Thank you. Been looking up some FIP searches on the forums which has given me some hope. Been crying my heart out all morning thinking of how soon i would have to lose her after being so attached already. Im just trying to keep a positive mind right now until later when I return back to work to run a PCR test and discuss with the Vet further.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Oh my goodness I am so sorry.

All I know about FIP is that there is a wet type and a dry type and the wet type is worse and with shorter life expectancy.

Prayers for you and your little one.

RaisinBambino

Lairian
Oh my goodness I am so sorry.

All I know about FIP is that there is a wet type and a dry type and the wet type is worse and with shorter life expectancy.

Prayers for you and your little one.

Thanks Sheldon. So far I’m assuming she has the dry form? Shes showing neither symptoms of wet/dry other than occasional sneezing. I’m really hoping for the best that we overcome this. My boyfriend is concerned for his 5yo cat. Now the internet is saying different things as to if this is contagious so I’m torn as to what to do.

Sheldon13

Staff member
Well, it is caused by a virus so in theory I guess it could be contagious. However, what I’m seeing in researching is that most cats have some immunity from exposure to related, benign viruses. The virus has to mutate in the cat to become the fatal FIP version. I can understand his fears but I don’t think it is something to worry about. Additionally, I think the cat would already have been exposed at this point.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@RaisinBambino hugs and positve vibes .
Did they mention it was a positve corona virus from my understanding it may not be an actual diagnosis of FIP - trying to stay positive - we have some members kitties I believe have mentioned positive for corona virus and do okay .

Be sure to talk with your vet about any possiblity of "false positive" results too. There is so much information out there referring to this .
It is a good sign no signs or symptoms and you mentioned her blood work was good .
Those are good things to concentrate on .

A lair full of prayers your way
Following closely with all paws crossed for the PCR test

Last edited:

RaisinBambino

Lairian
Having done a lot of reading on the case, I’m still trying to stay hopeful of the diagnostic. I had explained to my boyfriend about the disease and for his concern of his cat, I understand he’s afraid of fatal results. I just hate to be the reason I brought in a kitten and which killed his lifelong friendship with his baby.

I’m currently at work right now with my baby waiting for the vet to free up so we can do the PCR. I’m also going to mention about the false negative as I’ve read a lot of cases where it’s nothing. Overall, just trying to remain positive throughout this process.

Cinafina

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@RaisinBambino I'm a bit late to this thread, and I'm so sorry to hear about what you're going through! I understand it must be hard to stay positive when you get a test result like that, but try as best you can! Great advise from @Yoda mom as ever! Will be following closely for updates and keeping all fingers, toes and paws crossed. (((BIG hugs)))

Back