Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Luna has sever rash red scabs exesive licking

Candice903

Lairian
Hello I have recieved this wonderful sweet cat luna with special needs. she has a problem with licker her self untill she completly raw as a soothing thing. The breeder my friend got her from was to say the least not the best And said she had food allergys. but I think it's a combination of compulsive licking and sensitive skin / dry. I'm not sure If she has a bacteria infection and what to do I'll be taking her to the vet on the 1st . I bath her every second day and she will clear up and be 100% then get worse when I remove the cone. When I first recieved her. Her whole body was a giant scab raw and sore looking. So Please if any one has some information I'd love it. In the pictures she has dr. Maggiw skin care ointment on . With out it looks dry and scaly and scabby but I feel like some thing elts is wrong with her . I use coconut oil on her as well.

Attachments

• Resized_20200321_113555.jpeg
    Resized_20200321_113555.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200325_004314.jpg
    20200325_004314.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200320_214330_446.jpg
    IMG_20200320_214330_446.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 15851192031472795565594996193012.jpg
    15851192031472795565594996193012.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 15851195899545385827163391751753.jpg
    15851195899545385827163391751753.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 43

Sheldon13

Staff member
That’s really hard to tell if it is an infection or just allergies. Have you asked the vet if you can try allergy meds before you bring her in?

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Candice903

Lairian
No I havent asked I was just going to bring her in and let them see her. See u can get her to like almost 100 and then I leve the cone on for like couple more days and then it's a game of please stop licking ur self lol so I use coconut oil now thinking it might be dry skin but idk

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Ouch, her skins looks soar. Glad she is with you and you’re trying to find out what is causing the problem. The scabs on her face do look at lot like how my boy Toa looks sometimes. He has Uticaria Pigmentosa. Maybe ask the vet to check if it can be UP.

Fikat

Lairian
Hello I have recieved this wonderful sweet cat luna with special needs. she has a problem with licker her self untill she completly raw as a soothing thing. The breeder my friend got her from was to say the least not the best And said she had food allergys. but I think it's a combination of compulsive licking and sensitive skin / dry. I'm not sure If she has a bacteria infection and what to do I'll be taking her to the vet on the 1st . I bath her every second day and she will clear up and be 100% then get worse when I remove the cone. When I first recieved her. Her whole body was a giant scab raw and sore looking. So Please if any one has some information I'd love it. In the pictures she has dr. Maggiw skin care ointment on . With out it looks dry and scaly and scabby but I feel like some thing elts is wrong with her . I use coconut oil on her as well.

Hi Candice,
I'm sorry to see what you're going through. I have been through very similar. My little girl came to us 3 years ago and as soon as we got her and started bathing her (in similar but not same shampoo to what she was used to at previous home), she came out in red bumps, then scabs, then within a couple of days her entire back and rump was covered in what looks like same as your Luna's face.

We raced her to the vet and thankfully the vet had some experience with Sphynxes and skin problems (very important to find a Sphynx-educated vet!). She said although it most likely started as an allergy, it progressed to a bacterial infection because of the open wounds. So she treated out girl with a 3-fold treatment to get her better asap. She went on very low dose of prednisone (must follow instructions as this is a potent drug for cats), Malaseb baths daily for 10 days and also antibiotic oral medicine. It was a few days of heartache (she had to wear a cone) but well worth it. She was so much more comfortable after about 3 days of treatment.

The really dark oily sebum is Luna's ears looks a bit too dark to be normal to me. Again my girl went through this and I thought it was all just normal sebum for a sphynx but my vet said it's too dark and too much of it, so it's either fungal or bacterial infections (or mite infection). I left mine too long and my poor girl collapsed one day suddenly and couldn't move and didn't want to eat (shock horror!) because the inflammation down her ear canal had gone so far and affected her nerve centre and brain by this point. We got her treatment straight away (3 weeks of ear ointment which was easy to administer) and she's fine now, just battling yet another new but minor skin allergy..

So I guess I'm recommending to you, find a vet ASAP it's possible she has progressed from allergy to bacterial infection so she must get proper treatment.

And long term, know that your Luna might be allergic to many common things, like so many Sphynxes. Mine certainly is... she's allergic to all types of litter except sand, all types of wet and dry foods and treats except for raw meat and Royal Canine hypo-allergenic dry food. Also comes up in bumps with coconut oil, all types of wipes, tissues, detergents, and shampoos except for soap nuts, Malaseb and EarthBath non-allergenic shampoo). You might just have to adapt to her sensitivities long term. You can talk to the vet about shampoos and foods for sensitive skin because there are plenty out there and also check this forum.

If your vet doesn't give you great info, or cannot help with advice, I recommend finding another. I tried 4 vets, thinking each one was ok. Now, my 5th vet in just the last 2 years, has changed my world and my girl's life. He picked up on red flags that previous vets were not bothered by! He is so knowledgeable and interested in Sphynxes and it made all the difference.

Luna's licking will probably settle down when she is not so bothered by her skin. I feel for you, and for lovely Luna. Good luck. Keep us posted.