Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
Hey!! We brought Luna home on Saturday! She's wonderful! Behaves unbelievably well, listens (most of the time) she even sleeps in her own bed. She also doesn't mind being in her crate much.

We have her bed, blankets, toys in a big crate where she sleeps right next to my bed.

My only concern is food..and her poop ha ha

The breeder only fed Luna royal canin kitten food. No treats, no wet food. Fed her twice a day. She had 4 other cats and a dog. So I think Luna being the tiniest didn't get to eat as much as she should.

When we got her (Saturday) she was so skinny, you could see her bones. We've been feeding her only the royal canin kitten food until the vets (which was today. She's perfectly fine! A whopping 1.9 lbs! ) we will start introducing wet/raw food and slowly switch out the kibble.

She's gained a bit of weight since we got her and looks a lot better in just the two days! We are letting her eat free choice for now and are planning on switching to 3 meals a day.

My question is what wet foods do you guys prefer? The breeder said she tried giving her wet food a couple times but Luna didn't like it. How can I get her to eat it?

Her poop is pretty liquid/smelly and she poops 2-3 times a day since we got her (xpt for Saturday) I think its because she's eating more than she's used to? Any tips/advice on how to get her to poop regularly?

I'll post pictures of her later!

Thanks in advance!

Xo
Lera

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
You need to free feed the dry. You need to get her to eat wet food.
It's much better, if they do. Water also, make sure she drinks a lot.
Sphynx do have issues with their kidneys, not all, but, some.
I would use Royal Canin, wet also. You can give her, a tablespoon
full of pure pumpkin. Not pie filling. By, it's self, if she will eat it.
Or mix it with food. The pumpkin, helps with liquid poo, diarrhea
also, constipation. You need to get some Lysine to give her daily also.
Here is a link to help with the lysine. It needs to be pure. Powder, is best.
Lysine Powder - 500 Grams

Kittens, under 6 months, 260mg twice daily
Cat, over 6 months, 500mg twice a day.
It's very good for their immune system

Kate

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Congrats on your new kitty! Can't wait to see a picture!
You said that you are letting her eat free choice now, does that include raw food? You don't want to feed raw food with kibble. It can cause tummy upset. If she's eating the Royal Canin kibble, I would try the same brand of wet. Try to stick to one protein type for a while, cause switching proteins can also cause tummy problems.
Definitely try the pumpkin. Also, with all the changes she's just been through, she's probably a bit stressed as well, which can throw off their digestive balance.
With my little guy, the only way were were able to get his stools to be normal and stop his horrible stench was to switch him to a completely raw diet. Now he goes once a day, and it's almost odourless.

Good luck, it's a hard to get the right balance!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
So happy she is home and already putting on weight. We feed wet 2 times a day and leave dry out for ours to free feed. Some times it takes a while to find one they like. Unfortunately that can mean unsettled tummy while trying. We use Wellness grain free wet. You might start with just a spoonful,and add her dry to it and slowly add more wet. Once you get the food part figured out, you can then work on the poops. Did your vet do a fecal test? Giardia is often not caught in a fecal test the first time and might be something to discuss with your vet.

Sphynx cat with Diarrhea (Giardia)

Patti

Last edited:

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
I will get the Lysine Powder and try the pumpkin!

We haven't started her on the raw or wet food yet and I plan to keep her on kibble when we do. It little bit of everything so it's balanced.

She's pooping 3-4 times a day. Is that cause she's eating too much? I got the fecal test, we'll know the results in a couple of days.

Also, ah she's so smart! It amazes me her personality is so wonderful! She's curious and playful but she's also very calm and proud.

Toa and Ross

Staff member
Congrats with Luna! Hope you enjoyed gotcha day. She sounds like a real lady being smart, curious, calm and proud:).

Happy to hear she's already gaining weight. The first months I did feed my boys dry food and wet food. I let them eat dry food all they want, free feeding all day. I did give them the wet food twoce a day. When the ate dry/wet food they pooped 3 times a day and oh...it smelled horrible:).

Cause one of my boys constantly had diarrhea I switch to raw. I feed them raw food 3 times a day and when I'm away for the whole I leave some dry food. Now they poop 2 times a day and it hardly smells.

Think all the food (dry/wet or raw) is good as long as your Luna is growing and gaining weight!

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
We are eating 4 times a day starting today of dry food until I get the wet food/raw food. She doesn't seem to mind that much!

Still pooping often but her poop is slowly starting to get firm. We go to a holistic vet and he gave us some clay for her. We sprinkle a tiny amount twice a day. It's slowly helping!

Speaking of the potty. Do any of you wipe your kitties after they use the litter box?

I am paranoid about germs/ and getting poop everywhere. So we wipe! ;) every time we use the litter box!

Now if I'm not with her when she goes, she stays in her litter box calling me until I come to wipe! Wipe paws, butt and give treats! Keeps us happy and clean!

Also, I don't know if any of your babies do this but to calm Luna down and get her to sleep. She loves when I cradle her like a baby and rock side to side! She falls asleep purring within minutes!

Oh I have one more question..thought id just write it here instead of a new thread.

Can I have teething advice?! She's teething ATM and as much as I love playing with her I'm not a fan of when she chews on my fingers/hands. Any toys that I can give her?

Thanks!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
There are many teething toys for kittens on the market...just google it and they pop right up. I found from my own experience that they choose what they want to chew on...lol. Jouët had a thing for chewing the doormat. I found 2 baby teeth in it. She eventually stopped chewing it once she lost her baby teeth.

We do not play with them with our hands...we redirect with toys just so no bad habits develop.

Patti

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
Patti how do you redirect them? Might be a silly question but I never had a cat before!

I think the breeder played with the kittens with her hands & toes. So Luna is always on the hunt. She's extremely gentle and doesn't do any harm but I personally don't like it so I try and stop her. She'll play with hands with my sister and mom. Should probably tell them to stop!

Is it normal for kittens to be light sleepers? I know they sleep a lot, we play a lot with her and tire her out but any little noise and she pops her head up to look around. Is this cause she's still new here? Only 3 days.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We had toys around and if they went after toes or hands we said no, and they shook a toy for them to grab and bite. We wanted them to associate or hands or toes with biting.

About the light sleeper thing, a long time ago I actually did a Fun Friday Cat Fact about this. Cats wake up fully alert faster than other animals. So yep, it is normal.

Patti

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
Some pictures of Luna as promised!

Attachments

• IMAG9054.jpg
    IMAG9054.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMAG9018.jpg
    IMAG9018.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMAG8995.jpg
    IMAG8995.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMAG8997.jpg
    IMAG8997.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG9001.jpg
    IMAG9001.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 44

lealea

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Luna is beautiful, such a cutie. I'm looking forward to seeing more of her as she grows up and comes out of her shell.
What a good girl waiting to get her bottom wiped. Rosie is good most of the time, but other times she gets this crazy look in her eye when she sees me with a wipe and makes a dash down the hallway and up the cat tree, as if to say, catch me if you can!

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Lunas Mommy Precious! Looking forward to more pics and stories!
To answer some questions- I don't wipe their butts each time they use the box- I keep a box of huggies natural wipes by the box just in case -

I also keep a kong kicker toy on my head board along with treats in a sealed jar - to redirect any night time toe or finger nips :) A few catnip bananas too :) around too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Xandria

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Catnip bananas make great teething toys... but they will gnaw right through them at some point.

I had to get heavy duty chew toys (dog chew toys) for Max because he was chewing like crazy. Once he finished teething he was no longer interested in the dog toys. ha ha.

Lunas Mommy

Lairian
The vet called and said Luna has Giardia. I'll be picking up her medicine soon and that should fix everything up! Other wise she is doing great!

Should I tell the lady I got her from? She has cats so maybe they might have it? I was reading that a symptom could be weight loss so maybe that's why Luna was so skinny.

The clay the vet has given her has really helped the last couple of days. Now just looking forward to treating it completely and being all healthy.

I'd like to disinfect her litter box, any suggested products?

Thank you all for all the advice!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
We battled Giradia here. The key is cleaning and sanitizing all surfaces constantly and keeping the box as clean as possible. I used antibac wipes to counters and any surfaces they walked on I also would wipe the inside of the litter box and then when the meds were done, I totally replaced the boxes and started fresh. We were lucky and rid them of it the first dosage. Some members have had to do a second round of meds.

I let my breeder know as a courtesy. She was thankfully so she could take a couple of hers to be tested. Once one in the house is diagnosed it usually means all have it and they prescribe for all to be safe.

Patti

Silke

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Aww she's sweet :)
Pixie was in the same boat as Luna -- the other naked at her previous family kept her away from the food.
Once she was with me, she gobbled up the food and put on weight, now she's moderated her eating and eats about a bowl a day.
She isn't keen on wet food at all, so she gets dry and a lot of water.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Healing vibes to Luna! Great advice given

You ca also ask the vet what to disinfect with- they nosy have a bleach recipe or similar-
I wash litter boxes out weekly with odor ban lavender - and dawn soap-
I don't use Citrus scented because citrus is used as a deterrent and I want them to use the box-
- I dump boxes, spray with odor ban lavender liquid I buy in big box store- let sit for a few minutes then wash with the dawn soap and dry-

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Sweet pics, of your little lady. Glad things are going better.
When, she gets over the Giradia, she will be herself and feel
much better.

Back