Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Lurking and wondering about poo

Crackpotbaby

Lairian
Hi - I’m a new member looking into getting a sphynx. I’ve been lurking a trying to soak up all the information I need before bringing home my kitten.

I see so many posts about diarrhoea and loose bowels etc.

I know that these kitties can be sensitive to diet and so forth. My intention is to feed raw if that suits my (future) cat.

My question is, are these poo problems as common as it seems scrolling on these boards? Or it perhaps a skewed perspective due to mostly only people with cat toileting issues prompted to post.

Do the majority of sphynx have toilet/diarrhoea issues?

Where are all the sphynxs that came home *without* loose stools or parasites or infections? Do they exist?

Cheers.

MollysMom

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
My guesstimate would be that 75% of sphynx have/ had issues with bowels prior to finding the right food (be that kibble, raw, whatever). Even when they are having "okay" poops on kibble, I have found that they stink to high heaven, and it is still mushy enough that they need a bum wipe fairly often. As someone who lives in a small condo, we didn't have the luxury of just putting a litter box in a basement or laundry room. We have fed raw pretty much since both of them have come home. I tried kibble again once or twice, to see if we could do it for convenience. Nope, no deal. Raw is the only way we have been able to get firm, fairly odorless poop. I am sure others will chime in who have had different experiences :)

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
I think you are on target about perspective. Many people come to the community with problems, so it looks like more problems. Poop happens to be a big topic lol. People don’t talk about things when all is great. I do agree it is usually a matter of finding the right food.

kauna

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree, finding the right food is key! My girl has had fairly normal poops since we got her. We fed raw in the beginning but she wouldn't eat a full meal at a feeding (she likes to graze) so we switched to kibble and canned. Her's have always been formed with the occasional soft ones. And yes, I have had to do some wiping here and there.

Yoda mom

Staff member
Back