Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Lysine

AAMMYY

Lairian
Hi everyone,

I have heard Lysine mentioned before, and since Peach is still a little snotty I thought I would buy some. I don't know anything about the dosing though. Can someone tell me what they do for their cats regarding it?

Thanks, Amy

2sphynxgirl

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Amy, I get the Lysine treats and my boys LOVE to gobble them up! It has dosing info on the bag, but if anyone is snotty or has goopy eyes I will give him extra. I know there are a few brands out there. I use Vetri-Lysine Plus because that's what the vet started us on and the boys seem to like the flavor- alot!:Smile:

Brooke

Banned
Hi everyone,

I have heard Lysine mentioned before, and since Peach is still a little snotty I thought I would buy some. I don't know anything about the dosing though. Can someone tell me what they do for their cats regarding it?

Thanks, Amy

Hi Amy,
The regular maintenance dose for Lysine is 250mg per day. If Peach is snotty or having any other upper respiratory or eye symptoms, you can increase the dose as high as 500mg twice a day until she's better, and then go back to the maintenance dose.

The dose is the same, whether you buy it in the powder, gel or treat form...

Good luck, hope she's feeling better soon!

ETA: just looked back and noticed Peach is still very tiny! I would just give her 250mg twice a day while she's snotty, and then reduce the dose to 250 once a day when she's feeling better. They say to split that large dose in half, especially for kittens because if you don't, they'll pee out the excess and not get the benefit of the high dose.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I agree with Brooke entirely.

You might also get some benefit from using a humidifier close to her bed or taking her into the bathroom with you while you shower (leave her on the floor with the door closed, so she is inhaling the moisture in the air). This will help to break up the congestion.

Best of luck!

Brooke

Banned
so is lysine like a kitty vitamin then? I guess i am still a little confused

In short, it's an amino acid that's been scientifically proven to slow down the growth of the herpes virus. Also has been said to be a good all-around immune booster.

The long version is that herpes uses the amino acid, Arginine, to replicate and Lysine represses Arginine. Both are found in the body naturally, so if you increase the Lysine, you "starve" the herpes virus, by repressing it's "food"(arginine).

While we're on the subject, grains have high levels of arginine - so it also helps to reduce the amount of grains in the diet if the cat is suffering from herpes.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Very good explination, Brooke! This is why I've got Oogie on Innova EVO right now. He has chronic URIs caused by being kept in an unclean home. Basically the ammonia from the urine caused burns in his nasal cavity, so he'll always be a booger slinger, but I found between putting him on EVO and giving him Lysine, it REALLY helps!!!!

AAMMYY

Lairian
Thanks everyone. I have the 500 mg powder caplets. I started out by giving Peach and my other cat Pepper 1/3 of a caplet, so about 170 mg each. She is still only about 5 pounds, and he is healthy so I will see how that goes. I can increase it later if I need to. Plus her food does say it contains lysine.

beeblebrox

Lairian
Royal Canin Kitten food has Lysiene in the ingredients. :) At least the pro formula does.. not sure if the formulas sold in stores does.

You can get in in powder form from the health food stores or buy a pump of a yummy tasting mixture from your vet or on amazon.

Hi everyone,

Thanks, Amy

wundrlust

Lairian
I keep both the boys on Lysine as part of their vitamin routine. I also take Lysine everyday to fight off colds. It also helps during those wonderful PMS break outs. As long as I stay on the Lysine during that time I don't break out anywhere! My girlfriend got me started on it when she explained how it kept cold sores from popping up on her.

Fountainrunner

Lairian
Hi Amy,
The regular maintenance dose for Lysine is 250mg per day. If Peach is snotty or having any other upper respiratory or eye symptoms, you can increase the dose as high as 500mg twice a day until she's better, and then go back to the maintenance dose.

The dose is the same, whether you buy it in the powder, gel or treat form...

Good luck, hope she's feeling better soon!

ETA: just looked back and noticed Peach is still very tiny! I would just give her 250mg twice a day while she's snotty, and then reduce the dose to 250 once a day when she's feeling better. They say to split that large dose in half, especially for kittens because if you don't, they'll pee out the excess and not get the benefit of the high dose.

Yes, my monster is ALWAYS getting sick every other month so I've just increased his daily dosage to 500mg twice a day here. Seems to do the trick.

PitRottMommy

Banned
Royal Canin Kitten food has Lysiene in the ingredients. :) At least the pro formula does.. not sure if the formulas sold in stores does.

You can get in in powder form from the health food stores or buy a pump of a yummy tasting mixture from your vet or on amazon.

Many foods have lysine included in the ingredients. To help ward off FHV outbreaks, more is needed than just what is included in the food (which are just a few mgs per meal).

Back