Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Maggie and Luna!

skinandbones

Lairian
Hi all, I'm new here (obviously) and would just like to introduce the girls, Maggie and Luna.

Maggie is a tuxedo gray and pink lady who is about 1.5 years old. She's a big ham who is a snuggler and my big baby.
IMG_4917-1.jpg

Luna is 5 months old and a calico darling. she is miss independent and will find you when she decides she wants love (which is often). She loves her belly rubs and always has bruises on her shins from ricocheting off of the furniture.
IMG_6749.jpg

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They are both very cute.
I love them.
Welcome to Sphynx Lair.
Maggie looks like a black and white.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi skinandbones welcome to Sphynxlair! what special little cuties you have there!!:Laugh: I hope your enjoying the site!!:ThumbsUp:

skinandbones

Lairian
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone! I love my babies and I'm glad to find people who understand what can only be described as a loving obsession.

Little more about my kitties: Maggie was my ham before Luna came in and took some of her thunder, she's still a cuddle bug and still gets wild when she gets the inkling.

Luna is the ham. She like to be rubbed hard an have her belly rubbed. She has a heart murmur that we found out about after we got her. We were hoping it would
close up by now but it looks like well be going to the kitty cardiologist. The last time we were at the vet he said he would guess it was about a 1.5 grade. It doesn't seem to affect her activity levels (not in the least). The only thing Ive notices is she seems to have upper respiratory more often than Maggie did. (come on six months, we need her immune system to pick up the slack).

About me: I'm a 21 year old who works full time and goes to nursing school. I was talked into the sphynx breed by my boyfriend and I don't think I could have a furred cat ever again! We also have a rescue dog named Mia who is a lab shepherd mix. Ummm... Not much else I suppose.

Any imput on the murmur would be appreciated!

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Great pics...your babies are so cute!:BigSmile: Welcome to our little sphynx world here at this forum.

BTW, there are a few members here who are resident HCM experts who could help answer your questions about Luna's murmur.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I was talked into the sphynx breed by my boyfriend and I don't think I could have a furred cat ever again! We also have a rescue dog named Mia who is a lab shepherd mix.

My bf and I rescued lab shepherd mix too! I had to talk him into getting our sphynx though! :LOL:

Brooke

Banned
Luna is the ham. She like to be rubbed hard an have her belly rubbed. She has a heart murmur that we found out about after we got her. We were hoping it would
close up by now but it looks like well be going to the kitty cardiologist. The last time we were at the vet he said he would guess it was about a 1.5 grade. It doesn't seem to affect her activity levels (not in the least). The only thing Ive notices is she seems to have upper respiratory more often than Maggie did. (come on six months, we need her immune system to pick up the slack).

Any imput on the murmur would be appreciated!

How old is Luna?

HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) is a genetic heart defect that is fairly common in the sphynx breed and one of the early signs can be a heart murmur. (Though HCM can be present without a heart murmur, and a heart murmur can be present without HCM.) Your best bet is to rule it out by visiting a cardiologist and having an echocardiogram, and it sounds like that's exactly what you've got planned. Early detection is key to successful treatment.

Please keep us posted! I lost my first boy to HCM, and one of my current boys was just diagnosed with a heart murmur. He will be having his echocardiogram to hopefully rule out HCM next month!

skinandbones

Lairian
How old is Luna?

HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy) is a genetic heart defect that is fairly common in the sphynx breed and one of the early signs can be a heart murmur. (Though HCM can be present without a heart murmur, and a heart murmur can be present without HCM.) Your best bet is to rule it out by visiting a cardiologist and having an echocardiogram, and it sounds like that's exactly what you've got planned. Early detection is key to successful treatment.

Please keep us posted! I lost my first boy to HCM, and one of my current boys was just diagnosed with a heart murmur. He will be having his echocardiogram to hopefully rule out HCM next month!

She is almost 6 months old. I'll be taking her as soon as I can gather the funds.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They do scans when they are at least 1 year old but since your kitten has a murmur it might be better to do it when you get a chance.I have a cat with a 2/3 murmur not sphynx.
She has had it since she was 3 months and almost died.
She is now 9.5 years old and is ok except her herpes.

Brooke

Banned
She is almost 6 months old. I'll be taking her as soon as I can gather the funds.

Yes, it's expensive...I don't know where you're located, but there are sometimes lower cost options if you do some digging. (cat shows are a good place to start, and if you're in a heavily populated area sometimes you can find a cardiologist that might hold a monthly or bi-monthly HCM clinic at a reduced price)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
They have the scans at some of the TICA shows.
It is $150 here at the next TICA show.
Look at upcoming shows in your area.

Back