Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Making clothes...

bellasmom

Banned
Has anyone tried making sweaters for their nudie? I was thinking about maybe trying to knit one for Bella but I dont have a pattern...
Does anyone have experience in this? I think it would be a cute hobby.:Cool:

pooner

Banned
I think Nakedninja has knitted sweaters for Gabe. I'm not a knitter so I have no clue on how but, I know it's possible. Good Luck!:Smile:

loesje

Lairian
I would love to try it but I can not knit. I'm also searching for clothes for Balou but I can not find anything for a sphynx. If someone can help me finding something I would be very glad

pooner

Banned
I would love to try it but I can not knit. I'm also searching for clothes for Balou but I can not find anything for a sphynx. If someone can help me finding something I would be very glad

I usually buy dog clothes. There is a gal on Etsy - She is in the USA so shipping might be pricey.

Funny I put the etsy web address and it gave a descriptive link.

Last edited by a moderator:

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I think Nakedninja has knitted sweaters for Gabe. I'm not a knitter so I have no clue on how but, I know it's possible. Good Luck!:Smile:

Yep, I've knitted a few sweaters for my little prince. I don't have a pattern, per se. I've found it's easiest to use circular needles so you don't have to muck about with seams.

You can either find a "dog sweater" pattern on the net and adjust it to fit as you go, or do like I did, just cast on enough stitches to fit around the belly, do an inch or so of ribbing, then knit until it reaches the chest. Decrease a bit so it's more snug across the chest, and either slip some stitches onto holders for sleeves, or use a "buttonhole" technique to make a sleeveless arm hole. Increase a few stitches across the "breast bone" area as you go up, then decrease for the neck, making sure it's small enough that he/she won't walk out of it. I usually try to do a long, ribbed "turtleneck."

Morticia

Lairian

this lady is the best! She makes custom sweaters - made to measure - for sphynx - AND you chose the pattern you want! I have a skull and bones and another with frankenstein, they look fantastic! (and UK postage not too bad :Wink: )

Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Administrator
Staff member

Bella07

Banned
The only thing that I can crochet is a scarf--but it's a very simple one at that. I have no talent at all with making actual designs, much less kitty clothes! Plus, once I start crocheting, I get rather bored with it and move on after a few days or so. So, when I get a Sphynx kitten this summer, Christina and Pretty Kitty will be top of my list for ordering some clothes!

bellasmom

Banned
Thanks everyone! I guess I forgot to say that I cheat at knitting and use a loom.:LOL:(SO EASY!!) I dont know how to use the knitting needles. I did PM Pretty Kitty since hers looks so good!!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Sorry, I'm no help at knitting. I can help with sewing tho, I don't mind sharing. I've noticed some of the store bought sweaters I've bought also have sewing stiches on them where they make each peice seperate and sew it together. That might be easier to do. If you already have a store bought sweater look at it real close and draw out how its made, it may help getting the image in your head so you can design one yourself.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yes, I have knitted sweaters and they have turned out very well. I'll post some pics. Some are dog sweaters but I have to mod-out to fit the smaller cat neck. I also look for things without sleeves becuz they all tend to pull their arms back through when doing the sphynx hunch/sit thing.
I'm working on a new pattern that I'm going to try. It should take just one skien of chunky yarn and a few evenings on the couch if you are and average speed knitter.

verucasfoodlady

Lairian
hello!
i think the key to making clothes for cats are good measurements and establishing gauge.
if you knit one, knit a big enough square to establish gauge, then go from there.
if you crochet, it is a little easier to control the size.
i believe there is a tutorial on knitty.com as to how to knit a sweater :)
so far, i have only sewn clothes for my kitty and others'.
good luck!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Sorry, I'm no help at knitting. I can help with sewing tho, I don't mind sharing. I've noticed some of the store bought sweaters I've bought also have sewing stiches on them where they make each peice seperate and sew it together. That might be easier to do. If you already have a store bought sweater look at it real close and draw out how its made, it may help getting the image in your head so you can design one yourself.

So you have any patterns to sew that work for kitties? I noticed some only have a seam or 2, I could maybe do that!! :)

TotenEngel

Banned
So you have any patterns to sew that work for kitties? I noticed some only have a seam or 2, I could maybe do that!! :)

I had a dress I loved many years ago and a friend of mine who sews, sat and worked out every piece and made me an identical dress is a diffrent fabric! If you've got something you dont mind picking apart its even easier!!

Saying that, sewing on a button is the limit of my capability!! LOL

trevor26

Lairian
this lady is the best! She makes custom sweaters - made to measure - for sphynx - AND you chose the pattern you want! I have a skull and bones and another with frankenstein, they look fantastic! (and UK postage not too bad :Wink: )

what lady does them mortica

ckutkuhn7

Banned

Sorry no patterns. I originally started making Snuffie sweaters last janurary when I got her by hand. I would hand sew which is why they only have one seam for the most part and also the arm holes, neck and rear are always hemmed. That got old quickly but the fun of making things hadn't so I went out on a limb and bought a old used machine from someone on craigslist. Big mistake, resold it telling the new owner its quirks and what it could and couldn't do and told her to keep my number and if she ever needed help to call me. Bought a brand new machine and I'm not going to lie, my work isn't perfect and I'm still learning.

Anyhow, I know the basic design in my head, you too can learn this by folding a current outfit inhalf long ways and making some measurements and notes. This will allow you to keep seam lines to a minimum for easier sewing.

AthenaSphynx

Lairian
I have had really good luck making sweaters out of the cut off sleeve of a sweatshirt. I can use ones I don't wear anymore or buy one at a thrifts store for $2. It took a few tries to get it right, but it is very easy and takes very little time. If you use fleece there are so edges to seam either.

Jennifer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I found a pattern at a fabric store before. They turned out ok, I need a bit more pratice. My big issues was trying to find good stretchy spandx material and the time to sew it. I also enjoyed the cats trying to bat the thimble off the sewing machine, trying to grab the shirt as I am feeding it into the sewing machine, wanting to play inside my sewing basket, making sure they are not stepping in pins, etc, etc...I know they are just trying to help.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
. I also enjoyed the cats trying to bat the thimble off the sewing machine, trying to grab the shirt as I am feeding it into the sewing machine, wanting to play inside my sewing basket, making sure they are not stepping in pins, etc, etc...I know they are just trying to help.

:LOL::Hysterical::LOL:That's always the fun part!!! My kitties come a running when they hear the machine running. Anyone who has Snuffies Fashions clothing and you see a crooked seam - its Snuffies fault! She grabs the spool of thread and I have to sew one handed to keep her from messing up the machine! lol

Jennifer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Exactlly....I searched through my pictures and found the first sweather I made. Sleeves are a bit long, but not bad. Poor Kiwi I woke him up to try it on. He is so tired.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Thats a really good job for a first try at it!!! It's better than my first try!!

This was my first try with "Sleeves", its hard to tell but one sleeve is longer than the other and my seam was so poor it had ripped apart when I put it on her. lol Sewn by hand tho! lol

Attachments

• 24523_1355650016793_1397747602_31002327_502826_n.jpg
    24523_1355650016793_1397747602_31002327_502826_n.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 146

Jennifer

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Look how long my sleeves are, they had to be rolled up!...lol
Chutkuhn, your looks great. Good job