Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Making your own cat tree

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I really want to build my own cat tree, especially after seeing this picture (fake tree house)..

il_430xN.74096767.jpg

My last cat tree cost $$$$$ and now its falling apart after a year or so of use. Anyone else made their own cat condo's/ trees? Would love tips and ideas. :ThumbsUp:

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I've never made my own but just use your imagination you can use those huge cardboard tubes that banners are shipped in i believe you can get those at lowes, and twine, and burbur carpet and just have at it, if you make one i would like to see a pic of it heck maybe i'll buy my next one off of you.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think t would need a "construction site; Beware" sign on it, if I made one. May try to talk my OH into making one.

Good idea about the tubes, may see if the carpet store in town has some old carpet ones to spare.

lovinsphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
yeah i can't make anything without hurting myself lol. I've often asked my hubby to build something for me but he never seems to get around to it so i'm better off just buying it lol

harley

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
:Woo:I loved Harley's climber when I got it...But I must admit that is beatiful...I think it needs to be a project for my brother..wonder how much cooking I would have to do to convince him to build one????(it could be alot of tamolies).

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Wow thats a great find havingalook! what a cool idea!:ThumbsUp::Laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I LOVE that tree!! I wish I was talented at doing things like that. Unfortunately the only thing I'm talented at doing is seeing something and thinking I could do that only to find that I can't, but not before spending big bucks buying all the supplies :LOL:

streakin

Lairian
Sorry I'm not a DIY type person...and lack creativity so I'm no help there, BUT I LOVE that tree! I saw on etsy she has lots of sizes and even ones called "sapling and seeding" which are very small. So cute, and good luck! I had been originally wanting the Lotus cat tree but I think these are my new craving lol!

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've pondered the question of building your own cat tree. I have used milk crates to build a house. You can easily cover the sides with cardboard or fabric. Put some carpet on the levels and slap some paint on if using cardboard. Not the most elegant piece of furniture but it's sturdy and works very well. Plus, you can move the milk crates around, sometimes stacking or sometimes placing them next to each other.

ellie4-12

Lairian
I'm makng a cat tree with the engineer this weekend. He is all excited about drafting something up.. :) i will post results for you to see!

ellie4-12

Lairian
I know but its so cute.

Excellent, cant wait to see it.

Guys, I'm sorry to bum you out.. but as we were drafting the tree in solid works we discovered Harrys illness. :(

Don't worry though. Things will eventually be alright again and I'll make a tree as soon as I have someone to make it for!

Fountainrunner

Lairian
I bought one of those cat condos at PetSmart for like $25 bucks and bought some lumber and rope at Lowe's to construct a tall scratching post. Then drilled a hole in the cat condo and screwed the scratching post to it. My monster loves it and he does everything within his power to destroy it. Oh, I also purchased one of those ploes with the feathers that hang from a fishing line and attached that to the top of the post (it drives him crazy!). It was easy to put together, cheap (about $40 total), and fun to construct. It would've easily cost over double what I paid if I purchased it from a retailer.

ellie4-12

Lairian
I bought one of those cat condos at PetSmart for like $25 bucks and bought some lumber and rope at Lowe's to construct a tall scratching post. Then drilled a hole in the cat condo and screwed the scratching post to it. My monster loves it and he does everything within his power to destroy it. Oh, I also purchased one of those ploes with the feathers that hang from a fishing line and attached that to the top of the post (it drives him crazy!). It was easy to put together, cheap (about $40 total), and fun to construct. It would've easily cost over double what I paid if I purchased it from a retailer.

Ohh! Cool! I want to construct one for Tommy

Can you maybe post some photos so I can get a better idea?
It definitely sounds really neat :)

EmbraceMonChat

Lairian
Can't help but wonder what those leaves will look like after they have been chewed on and batted around awhile.:Dizzy::BigSmile:

I've seen this tree house and been to the website too. They are really clever but not in my budget! ...but don't fret one little bit because they sell the replacement leaves too! :LOL:

I'm not a DIY person either so I have to buy my cat furniture. Armarkat has nice stuff, reasonable prices and I don't pay sales tax because they are in NJ and I'm in PA. Their furniture is a little lighter than some of the big ticket mfg's but my girls are satisfied and so am I. :ThumbsUp:

Fountainrunner

Lairian
Ohh! Cool! I want to construct one for Tommy

Can you maybe post some photos so I can get a better idea?
It definitely sounds really neat :)

Sure, here is my monster hellbent on tearing down the scratching post to get to the feather! So far he hasn't managed to destroy it. Eventually I'll have to better secure the post to the cat condo but for now I'm leaving it like it is so that I can easily take it apart and travel with it.

Attachments

• cat condo.jpg
    cat condo.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 107
Back