Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Malaseb Pledgets

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'm having a hard time finding these. I called my vet and they said they stopped carrying them and that it was by prescription only. I don't want to go to just any website that claims to carry them. I tried Amazon, but they are currently unavailable. eBay doesn't have any, but showed some sponsored links of places that carry it. I went there, and they are unavailable as well. How effective will an over-the-counter steroid cream (Cortaid) with aloe or Eucerin cream be on the irritated areas of her belly (at least until I can find the pledgets)? The vet recommended the creams, but I prefer the pledgets based on what I heard about them.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I find that many cats will lick areas that have any cream applied. This often causes more irritation than the original amount. If your cat doesn't lick, the creams might work just as well as the pledgets.

These pledgets are made by the company that makes Malaseb, DVM Pharmaceuticals. It's made specifically by this company regardless of where you buy them...so if you can find them somewhere specifically, buy them there. There's no reason to wait for your vet to get them in, if you can get them online (and likely cheaper).

Brooke

Banned
I'm having a hard time finding these. I called my vet and they said they stopped carrying them and that it was by prescription only. I don't want to go to just any website that claims to carry them. I tried Amazon, but they are currently unavailable. eBay doesn't have any, but showed some sponsored links of places that carry it. I went there, and they are unavailable as well. How effective will an over-the-counter steroid cream (Cortaid) with aloe or Eucerin cream be on the irritated areas of her belly (at least until I can find the pledgets)? The vet recommended the creams, but I prefer the pledgets based on what I heard about them.

I just did a quick search for the pledgets, too, and it appears as though they're back ordered all over the place.

From the Malaseb website:
"Malaseb products are currently on an indefinite backorder situation from its manufacturer. We apologize for this unfortunate situation, and will resume selling once released."

What a bummer! I prefer the pledgets or the Malaseb spray, because it's absorbed into their skin quicker than a cream that the cat can lick off (which may upset her stomach). If you must use the cream, be sure to use a small amount at a time, and rub it into her skin completely so that it's all absorbed and she can't lick it off.

Maybe you could call around to other vets in the area and see if they have any left in stock (the pledgets or a bottle of the spray). If so, have them hold it for you and ask your vet to write a script for it. If you can get a bottle of the spray, just saturate a soft paper towel or makeup pad and then wipe her skin with it...voila! home-made pledget! :Laugh:

pinupcats

Lairian

What kind of irritation is your baby having? Malaseb is an antibacterial/fungal product and there may be another solution to your kittens problem?

pinupcats

Lairian
She is experiencing skin fold dermatitis, there's another thread with the entire discussion.

Okay, thanks - have they tested for yeast? sorry if I missed the discussion and that was asked already. Just like in some of your wrinkled dog breeds, yeast infections can become a problem. Its why I never want to see the judges start awarding points for "wrinkles" because excessive wrinkles can cause not only skin problems, but eye problems as well.

If the maleseb wipes are helping, then her best place to try and find them is probably an online supply place like VetServe, ect. I have a few I could send her if she's truly in immediate need of them.

Cyndee

PitRottMommy

Banned
Okay, thanks - have they tested for yeast? sorry if I missed the discussion and that was asked already. Just like in some of your wrinkled dog breeds, yeast infections can become a problem. Its why I never want to see the judges start awarding points for "wrinkles" because excessive wrinkles can cause not only skin problems, but eye problems as well.

If the maleseb wipes are helping, then her best place to try and find them is probably an online supply place like VetServe, ect. I have a few I could send her if she's truly in immediate need of them.

Cyndee

I'll give you a brief run over, Cyndee, Ultra_Stella correct me if I get any of this wrong:

Pet was having original skin issues, for which she's undergoing treatment. More recently she was diagnosed with skin fold dermatitis secondary to being overweight. Because of the dermatitis, her vet has recommended using Eucerin or Cortaid. Other skin issues have been addressed in other threads and MP's were brought up and that's where we sit now. MP's are one of the best products on market, in my personal experience, we send them home frequently with...well....mostly skin fold dermatitis pets which are mostly bull dogs, sharpeis and the like who have folds of skin on their face and hind ends that like to accumulate sebum, bacteria, etc and cause a rash. Her veterinarian already has the feline on shampoo and medication to treat the skin issues she's having, she's simply addressing what to do specifically about the skin fold issue with the recommendations that have been made.

Sorry if that wasn't clear before, I should have expanded. If I missed or mis-typed anything, Ultra, please correct me.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Cyndee

Yes, they tested her for yeast infection during the appointment that took place about a week and a half to two weeks prior to the visit on the 19th. They said it was present and we discussed possible reasons for it. They prescribed steroids for the inflammation. Since then, I switched to Nature's Variety. On the 19th, they said the yeast infection was completely gone, but said she now needs to lose one and a half pounds and has skin fold dermatitis.

Thank you for your offer, by the way! For a little while now I've been wanting to switch to another vet here in town. The place I have been going to has been okay, but there are a couple of problems. First, they have strict hours. I can only take off so much time from work, and lately I had to use a lot of it. (I wish they would consider creating "vet time" for the employee handbook). Different departments have different time slots, as well. Some can't be scheduled past noon. And I'm cool with that, but I cannot predict my work status (I don't get off until 4:30). Second, I desire having someone I can actually call my vet. I see a new person each time I'm there. I'm not always lucky when I call in to request to talk to one of the individuals I saw from the previous visit. It's definitely a hit or miss (I've had several calls not returned, but I understand they are busy and I can only imagine the amount of work they have going on). I was told they have rotations because of it being a teaching hospital. They are able to pull up information about your pet during your phone call, but it's a little more comforting to have someone to talk to that has looked at her before and knows first hand what was going on. You know what I mean?

There is another vet here in town that I've been looking at. I've been browsing the website and I've been reading reviews. They sound great, BUT I don't want to rely only on reviews and the information provided on the website. Therefore, I scheduled to have a consultation with them this Saturday (yes, this Saturday! They're opened on Saturday!). They have great hours that would work for me any day and also provide emergency services. OH AND ("and if you call in the next five minutes. . .") they carry Malaseb Pledgets! I'm praying this weekend's visit goes well and they are as good of a vet clinic as the reviews made them out to be. If this new vet works out, I don't plan on cutting off ties with the University. Their ophthalmology clinic is great (when and if it is necessary) and I will be touching base with the cardiology department here shortly.

I asked the individual I talked to at the new vet if they have any sphynx come in. She said no, but they do get "exotic breeds" (that's what she referred to it as): Bengals, Bernice, Cornish Rex, and a few others. She was really nice and immediately answered all of my questions. I'm excited for this consultation!

Oh, I thought this was interesting. . .I recently found out the University still uses Ketamine. Maybe most places still do, but it seems like such a scary thing. They told me they have had no issues with it. I told them what my preferred alternatives would be if Stella ever had to be sedated (propofol with iso or sevo) and they said they could use that if necessary.

Last edited:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I'll give you a brief run over, Cyndee, Ultra_Stella correct me if I get any of this wrong:

Pet was having original skin issues, for which she's undergoing treatment. More recently she was diagnosed with skin fold dermatitis secondary to being overweight. Because of the dermatitis, her vet has recommended using Eucerin or Cortaid. Other skin issues have been addressed in other threads and MP's were brought up and that's where we sit now. MP's are one of the best products on market, in my personal experience, we send them home frequently with...well....mostly skin fold dermatitis pets which are mostly bull dogs, sharpeis and the like who have folds of skin on their face and hind ends that like to accumulate sebum, bacteria, etc and cause a rash. Her veterinarian already has the feline on shampoo and medication to treat the skin issues she's having, she's simply addressing what to do specifically about the skin fold issue with the recommendations that have been made.

Sorry if that wasn't clear before, I should have expanded. If I missed or mis-typed anything, Ultra, please correct me.

You are correct. The original skin issue was the yeast infection, which they prescribed steroids for and recommended I use Ketochlor Shampoo. She is no longer on either. I was told to use the Ketochlor shampoo for 3-4 weeks, but he stopped me about half way and gave me Allergroom. He said the yeast infection was completely gone. We just have this new problem to deal with, but we're all optimistic and are looking forward to a clear belly. :Smile:

Brooke

Banned
Good luck on Saturday! I really hope this new clinic works out well for you. There's definitely something to be said for having a close relationship with your vet. For example, everyone in my vet's office (from the techs, to the receptionist to the doctor) know me and my cats by name - without having to look at a record - and I can call my vet at any time (even after hours if it's an emergency and leave a message and he will personally call me back within 20 minutes, I've actually done this at 1:00 in the morning!) I wouldn't want a vet to have to rely on whatever notes were written by the previous doctor - God forbid the previous one neglected to write something down!

That's not to say you haven't been getting good care up to this point, but I'm sure you'll feel better about it with more personalized service. Fingers are crossed!! Plus, with a smaller clinic, I bet Stella will get all kinds of extra attention :ThumbsUp:

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Good luck on Saturday! I really hope this new clinic works out well for you. There's definitely something to be said for having a close relationship with your vet. For example, everyone in my vet's office (from the techs, to the receptionist to the doctor) know me and my cats by name - without having to look at a record - and I can call my vet at any time (even after hours if it's an emergency and leave a message and he will personally call me back within 20 minutes, I've actually done this at 1:00 in the morning!) I wouldn't want a vet to have to rely on whatever notes were written by the previous doctor - God forbid the previous one neglected to write something down!

That's not to say you haven't been getting good care up to this point, but I'm sure you'll feel better about it with more personalized service. Fingers are crossed!! Plus, with a smaller clinic, I bet Stella will get all kinds of extra attention :ThumbsUp:

Thanks! That's the kind of relationship I desire. I think this will raise the comfort level! It will be nice for Stella to become familiar with a vet as well. I'm certainly optimistic about this weekend's visit. :ThumbsUp:

(By the way, when I said "Some can't be scheduled past noon", I meant to say "one" and not "noon", and instead of saying some, I was thinking about the ophthalmology clinic. lol They said they can't schedule past one. I remember they said the "local" or what I call "regular check up-doctor" cannot be scheduled past 3:00. I failed to change this paragraph before submitting it. I'm in a hurry to get some ice cream, lol)

pinupcats

Lairian
Yes, they tested her for yeast infection during the appointment that took place about a week and a half to two weeks prior to the visit on the 19th. They said it was present and we discussed possible reasons for it. They prescribed steroids for the inflammation. Since then, I switched to Nature's Variety. On the 19th, they said the yeast infection was completely gone, but said she now needs to lose one and a half pounds and has skin fold dermatitis.

Thank you for your offer, by the way! For a little while now I've been wanting to switch to another vet here in town. The place I have been going to has been okay, but there are a couple of problems. First, they have strict hours. I can only take off so much time from work, and lately I had to use a lot of it. (I wish they would consider creating "vet time" for the employee handbook). Different departments have different time slots, as well. Some can't be scheduled past noon. And I'm cool with that, but I cannot predict my work status (I don't get off until 4:30). Second, I desire having someone I can actually call my vet. I see a new person each time I'm there. I'm not always lucky when I call in to request to talk to one of the individuals I saw from the previous visit. It's definitely a hit or miss (I've had several calls not returned, but I understand they are busy and I can only imagine the amount of work they have going on). I was told they have rotations because of it being a teaching hospital. They are able to pull up information about your pet during your phone call, but it's a little more comforting to have someone to talk to that has looked at her before and knows first hand what was going on. You know what I mean?

There is another vet here in town that I've been looking at. I've been browsing the website and I've been reading reviews. They sound great, BUT I don't want to rely only on reviews and the information provided on the website. Therefore, I scheduled to have a consultation with them this Saturday (yes, this Saturday! They're opened on Saturday!). They have great hours that would work for me any day and also provide emergency services. OH AND ("and if you call in the next five minutes. . .") they carry Malaseb Pledgets! I'm praying this weekend's visit goes well and they are as good of a vet clinic as the reviews made them out to be. If this new vet works out, I don't plan on cutting off ties with the University. Their ophthalmology clinic is great (when and if it is necessary) and I will be touching base with the cardiology department here shortly.

I asked the individual I talked to at the new vet if they have any sphynx come in. She said no, but they do get "exotic breeds" (that's what she referred to it as): Bengals, Bernice, Cornish Rex, and a few others. She was really nice and immediately answered all of my questions. I'm excited for this consultation!

Oh, I thought this was interesting. . .I recently found out the University still uses Ketamine. Maybe most places still do, but it seems like such a scary thing. They told me they have had no issues with it. I told them what my preferred alternatives would be if Stella ever had to be sedated (propofol with iso or sevo) and they said they could use that if necessary.

Thanks Dani and PitRottMommy for expanding on the situation. If you can stand to feed a raw diet, that may also help aid her in loosing some weight as well as helping her skin overall. BARF is not for everyone, but some cats do greatly benefit from it. The other suggestion would to be make sure you keep the area as dry as possible, which I'm sure you've already been doing, and perhaps using a light medicated powder might help in those areas as well. As I said, if the pledgets are working, then if you can find them, keep using them.

I do hope your new vet visit will go well and you are happy with them and meet someone that you can trust and truly call your vet. Seeing a different person each visit would certainly not sit well with me either.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes!

Cyndee

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Our vet visit went well today! I was able to get a hold of the Malaseb Pledgets and because it's documented that we had them, I can keep getting the pledgets from them without a visit. I really like the vet I met today. She's very nice and was very confident with the information she presented.

Unfortunately, Stella is having a flare up. Not a bad one, though. It's pretty minor compared to the last couple of times. The vet went ahead and gave me some more Terramycin.

The clinic got a big kick out of Stella, like most of these clinics do with sphynx. She adapted well, except she hissed a few times because a member of the staff and the vet picked her up while she was sitting comfortably in the window seal. She was chasing a fly for a brief moment. This is funny. . . a couple of people were there buying food in the lobby, which caught Stella's attention. As they moved the bags around, they were shaking the contents inside. Stella hopped off of the chair and ran up to them (still on her leash of course), stood up against them and stretched her paws up at them like "HI! I see what you got there. Care to share?"

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Our vet visit went well today! I was able to get a hold of the Malaseb Pledgets and because it's documented that we had them, I can keep getting the pledgets from them without a visit. I really like the vet I met today. She's very nice and was very confident with the information she presented.

Unfortunately, Stella is having a flare up. Not a bad one, though. It's pretty minor compared to the last couple of times. The vet went ahead and gave me some more Terramycin.

The clinic got a big kick out of Stella, like most of these clinics do with sphynx. She adapted well, except she hissed a few times because a member of the staff and the vet picked her up while she was sitting comfortably in the window seal. She was chasing a fly for a brief moment. This is funny. . . a couple of people were there buying food in the lobby, which caught Stella's attention. As they moved the bags around, they were shaking the contents inside. Stella hopped off of the chair and ran up to them (still on her leash of course), stood up against them and stretched her paws up at them like "HI! I see what you got there. Care to share?"

That is so cute! Glad the visit went well- that is great news.

Sorry to hear of Stella's flare up but good that it is minor.

Did this vet comment on her weight at all? Just wondering because I want to get my vets opinion on Sophie's weight. She feels so heavy all of the sudden and I was free feeding but now cut back. She was eating much more than the bag said and I give her wet food too.

ultra_stella

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
That is so cute! Glad the visit went well- that is great news.

Sorry to hear of Stella's flare up but good that it is minor.

Did this vet comment on her weight at all? Just wondering because I want to get my vets opinion on Sophie's weight. She feels so heavy all of the sudden and I was free feeding but now cut back. She was eating much more than the bag said and I give her wet food too.

The vet said she only needs to lose about half a pound. She checked in at 8 lbs yesterday. She thought losing a pound and a half was a bit much. . .

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
The vet said she only needs to lose about half a pound. She checked in at 8 lbs yesterday. She thought losing a pound and a half was a bit much. . .

Oh that is good. It's good to have a second opinion. I'm guessing her body will probably fluctuate to whatever is natural based on her food cutback. Whether its a half or a pound or whatever. Stella is such a doll- hope she is better soon. :BigSmile:

ktate88

Banned
If I remember correctly the Malaseb Pledgets are no longer available. The FDA shut down the maker, DVM pharmacueticals, last year.

I was hoing they'd be back up and running as I liked the pledgets and would like to use them on my little guys toes. He gets the black heads really bad in the "webs."

Back