Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

male or female? and best cat tree?

Trulyblessed324

Lairian
I've been talking to a breeder for a little over a week now and she said she could put me on her waiting list, then she asked if I was looking for a male or a female. I wasn't sure what to say because i really don't know. any opinions on which gender is more loving or affectionate? I know I would like a male and a female (both will be fixed) but is it better to get one or the other 1st or save a little longer and get them at the same time?

also my husband told me to make a wishlist on amazon of the stuff I want for the cat so he can buy it when we get the kitten(s) and I've been looking at cat trees but i can't pick. i'd like something tall and sturdy with a smallish base since we aren't 100% sure where its going to go yet.

LokisMom

Lairian
Personally I have always liked male cats and dogs. I'm sure everyone has their own preference. I've had both and the males always seemed more loving and playful. But again thats my opinion. ☺

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have a Female. I've always had Female dogs too.
I think Male and Female are great, if there a Sphynx.
If you can see the pics of them when they are born.
There will be one that will steal your heart and it won't matter
what Sex it is.
But, if you have to choose before birth. Just think long and hard
about it. I believe you will make the right choice.
Best wishes.

Trulyblessed324

Lairian
Thank you both. I can choose after birth she just wanted to know if I had a preference. Would it be better to get 1 then the other or get 2 at the same time?

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you can get two at the same time, it's always better.
They won't have to adjust to each other and take the time frame
to do so.
But, if you can't get two at the same time, you can get another.
It will just take time for them to accept each other and you will need
to keep them separated for a week at least, to make sure the new kitten
won't make the other sick, if it should get sick it's self.

Yoda mom

Staff member
image.jpg
@Trulyblessed324 , so excited for you!
I have always until recently had male kitties together..

From my experience , the males bonded well together, sleeping on top of each other,
The females sleeping near each other, more prissy.

All equally lovable and affectionate and I believe it also helps tremendously if they are raised underfoot as babies at the breeders.

The right one(s) will tug at your heart :) males or females

I like the idea of both gotchas at the same time

For the "man cave" we went with the tall dark colored kitty mansions redwood cat tree
( *** I would not put on the vine greenery included especially with kittens!)
Varies prices and deals coupons online.

72 " dark colored cat tree with a 24" base and plush padded perches and dark sisal- it has held up to 4 Nakeds and a Bengal that goes nuts up and down the sides like a tree! Surprising because it is the thinner plush covering .
I put it front of a non direct light window for butterfly and lizard watching .

The boy kitties will snuggle on top of each other at the same time in the same perch
the female takes the highest perch alone and slaps anyone that tries to take "her " spot

We have the real carpeted ones too which I like the material - but they are lighter and larger based.
My man likes the dark grey colored cat tree better. :)

There are also different size armarkat pinus slyvestris solid wood cat trees with no carpet .
61JS8ZIt90L._SY355_.jpg

my adoptees first mum uses with her breeders and kittens- she says easier to clean and the kittens really like them too - said they go on sale too on amazon

So much fun doing the amazon wish list!

Keep us posted and looking forward to pics!

Last edited:

Trulyblessed324

Lairian
The redwood is actually one of the trees I was looking at and didn't know if it would be sturdy enough.
If I get 1 kitten I can probably get it in a few weeks but if I get 2 I may have to wait until the fall litter to save up some extra money. Obviously I want a baby like yesterday but I'm not sure hubby is gonna like me geting a 2nd one later where as if I just bring home 2 now he cant really say much LOL

KitKat26

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Its funny you ask that, I was asked the same thing from my breeder and I came on the Lair and asked those very same questions. At first before I found a breeder I was very adamant about getting a male because I have a non-sphynx male cat now and he is very affectionate but I wanted to be open minded. I told her it doesn't matter and I just want to see all the photos first before choosing. Luckily I had first pick. Out of the six kittens the female was the prettiest and cutest out of the entire litter and something just drew me to her. So pink it was! I couldn't be more excited to go get my baby girl in August. :) I'm sure which ever one you choose will give you affection and be just as sweet no matter what the gender is. Good luck!

Oh and also, this is the cat tree I bought and is a good starter tree for a kitten:

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Trulyblessed324 My Bengal is rough on this redwood tree! Runs up and down the sisal sides yanking on it and jumping onto the perches howling away :) it has not budged an inch or rocked :) and I did not need to secure it to anything- I was amazed

The Sphynx are more gentle snoozing and butterfly watching together all at once :)

It's a big commitment with two or more - double everything - vet bills , etc

Follow your heart - there is nothing wrong with a solo kitty to looooove
And adding later- lol - that's how we got 4 :)

I would suggest starting a kitty slush fund for vet bills - they get into everything and have been the most high maintenance kitties I have ever had to be truthfully honest- it goes in phases I swear

I also keep a "care credit" card tucked in my wallet for emergencies
I call it my Sphynx card lol

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Trulyblessed324 , I swear we spend more on our babies food etc and watch what they eat better! I think I know their food ingredients better than on our people food labels :)
Looking forward to pics of your dog and exotics in the new pet tails thread :)

Toa and Ross

Staff member
If it's possible I would go for two!
One sphynx is fun, two sphynx is even more fun:). I have two boys from the same litter. They play a lot together. If you see Toa, Ross is somewhere close. They love to cuddle together and work together when it cames to doing things they shouldn't do.
Both also love to cuddle and play with me. I never had female sphynx so can't tell if there's a difference. I thinks there's not really a difference, it depends more on character and personal preference. As @KitKat26 says sometimes you think you know what you want till you see the photo's and your heart melts for one particulair kitten:).

Yoda mom

Staff member
@Trulyblessed324 , here is one my adoptees came with that is a favorite!
Real carpet with a well used scratcher at the bottom- I put the blanket on top.
The pet snoozzy hide seek bed fits perfect in the oval perch and is used 24/7

I think they got the cat tree at petsmart in store
The redwood cat tree is on sale at overstock :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 21

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
The redwood is actually one of the trees I was looking at and didn't know if it would be sturdy enough.
If I get 1 kitten I can probably get it in a few weeks but if I get 2 I may have to wait until the fall litter to save up some extra money. Obviously I want a baby like yesterday but I'm not sure hubby is gonna like me geting a 2nd one later where as if I just bring home 2 now he cant really say much LOL

Surprise HONEY, I just wanted a sphynx so bad, I got two. :smuggrin:

Back