Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

male sphynx with exessive hair

beelzevelvet

Lairian
hello, our sphynx cat beelzebubbles (male, age 2jears and a half) has hair everywhere! except his belly and neck, face is also hairy but acceptable, his tale is indistinguishable from a normal hairy cat. when we bought our cats, he and his sister blue velvet were 12 weeks of age and not hairy at all. when we got bubbles fixed at 6 months of age, he was already growing hair, it started with his tail, but by now his back and paws are also very hairy (by sphynx standard). blue however has only got a bit of a hairy tail but not much. does anyone have the same 'problem' or know woh to fix it? (if it is fixable) :-s
we love both our cats to death, but when you pay a bundle for sphynx cats, you would expect them to be naked, don't you? :)

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Are they from a outcross program?
Hair is allowed on the ears,tail and nose if you show.
Also it will say in the contracts of the cats there is no guarantee they will stay hairless.
Your boy does sound like he has way to much hair.
Did they come from a breeder?
You can pm me there name if they did and I can try to check the lines.
Can you please post pics also.
Hormones and altering can cause them to grow or lose hair also.

beelzevelvet

Lairian
they are from a breeder, they have the same dad, I've seen him, he was as bald as can be, both their mothers where also bald. they have a family tree..
the boy only groes morte and more hair, I've read that sometimes in winter time they habe some more hair, and then when summer comes.. but that doesn't seem to be the case with bubbles.. I'll try and post a picture of him I just took

Attachments

• bubbles.jpg
    bubbles.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 156

tessblack

Banned
Yeah mine are fuzzy too. Sometimes it is worse then other. Tux has fur on his back and his tail. The base of his tail got so wild looking I had to trim it. Twitch is furry on her back hips and tail too. I know when you pay that much you just expect them to be naked. Then I would not trade them for anything so I guess I have half hairless cats. I don't think there is a fix unless you shave your hairless cat:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

BlueGirl

Lairian
Sorry I dont have any advice I just wanted to say I love his name! Don't supose you watch blackadder do you? Its my fav program ever, and it mentions a cat called beelzebubbles. :LOL::ThumbsUp:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Snuffie was pretty blad up until she was fixed. Now she has hair on her back in her flank area, also the back of her neck and her tail and nose have gotten considerably more hairy.

The hair along her back side stands up in the middle so she looks like a rhodesian ridgeback!!! lol Its funny!

beelzevelvet

Lairian
haha bluegirl,beelzebubbles is in fact named after blackadder's cat, in the episode 'the witchsmeller persuivent' :) I also love blackadder and the great rowan atkinson! :)

sphynxluv, I haven't asked the vet to do a bloodtest, problem is that he doesn't have much experience with sphynx cats.. but nonetheless bubbles seems very happy and healthy so I hope he doesn't have some disease or something..

it's not that I have a problem with bubbles beeing hairy, I still love him like crazy, I was just hoping there was a simple remedie to reduce his bodyhair (without shaving him that is) :)

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome beelzevelvet! Unfortunately there is no way to guarantee hairlessness in the Sphynx breed. Hormones can play a part, and weather to some extent as well, along with them being neutered/spayed. The parents being bald or their bloodlines hold no value on the outcome of a specific cat's hairlessness nor does any genetic defects or disease that is proclaimed inheritance in this breed. That being said, they are just as healthy bald, fuzzy or a bit hairy! :ThumbsUp:

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My 2 Sphynx are from the same breeder, but one is bald bald bald, & the other is very velvety with hair everywhere except her belly & front of her neck. Luckily, it isn't very long. I was also expecting all my Sphynx to be bald. Oh well, they are still so pretty!:Smile:

mom2Isis

Lairian
I have a three year old female that I adopted about 3 months ago who was completely naked when I got her. Now she has grown hair on her nose and feet. Just a little. I think it is so cute! We are about to have her spayed, so it may increase. It happened right after we changed her food to the "good stuff". It really made me think something was wrong at first! Big surprise for me as I am new to the breed. I think this is pretty common, though.:Woo:

Maua_Peterbald

Lairian
Frodo is totally rubber bald, not even a single hair on his gummy body :BigSmile: But with -20C and lots of snow outside I will not be suprised if he starts growing a santa beard for Xmas

sphynxluvr

Lairian
If you go in my photo albums you will see our boy Ren. He had a lot of velvety hair that he would shed a bit of in the summer. His brother, Stimpy, was VERY BALD!! Being that they had the same parents I guess it'd just a freak thing. We loved them both dearly Bald or Hairy!

Ella_B

Lairian
Berlin was spayed about a month and a half ago and her tail and ears have become noticeably hairier since then even though it's the middle of summer here. Funny, fuzzy thing. Good to know I'm not the only one whose hormones do weird things to my body. :Wink:

sphynxymom

Lairian
I also have a Sphynx male with exessive hair... Actually as soon as it got cold he grew hair all over his tail completely! He has always had fuzzy ears as well. Its not abnormal to see hair on all "points" meaning the ends of body parts i.e. tail, feet, ears, nose... I personally think its adorable and does not bother me one bit. It goes through cycles and eventually all falls out then grows back in some other wierd spot. Lol!

laurame

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a fuzzy too. He has a patch right above both hips. Cracks us up. Almost looks like he is wearing little "fur" pants. Hehehe!! Love our little guy :)

NakedNinja

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a fuzzy too. He has a patch right above both hips. Cracks us up. Almost looks like he is wearing little "fur" pants. Hehehe!! Love our little guy :)

Glad to know I'm not the only one. Gabe has the usual fuzzy nose, ears, paws and tip of tail. But since the weather has gotten cooler he's developed these two little tufts, one on each hip. They're hilarious! I keep threatening to wax him...

Silly boys.

kaoticharmony

Banned
Shiva gets fur in all the same places... Sometimes it seems almost seasonal. His dad is a natural born Sphynx so Shiva gets it from his grandparents. Most of his siblings were naked. The breeder was honest with us about Shiva. I don't really know if this is true, (I imagin it is since he is hairy) but she says she made a point of being there when thet were born because of it being George's (dad) first litter. She said as a breeder you can tell when they are first born by how fuzzy they are if one is going to be fuzzy when it grows up. She said Shiva was quite fuzzy and shw expected him to be hairy.

We paid the same price for him as you would pay for any fully naked"pet" Sphynx. In fact I paid a little less for Neon and Venus...Venus is peering around my computer monitor at me. I love it when she does that!

TotenEngel

Banned
Smeagol has a very fine coat all over and a really bushy tail (well, in comparison to the rest of him!!) He was castrated a month ago and we haven't seen any change in his coat, but to be hinest, he'd be perfect however he was!
I think his tail is just the cutest thing ever

maxtmill

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hello Everyone! I have 2 sphynx cats from the same breeder, & one is bald as rubber, the other is fuzzy all over with a fully coated tail & hair everywhere except her belly & front of the neck. Still adorable, :Smile:but I also thought the sphynx were mostly bald.:Dizzy:

bellasmom

Banned
Bella is pretty much bald... she does have some hair on her ears and nose and does get some peach fuzz during the winter in between her shoulder blades but I think its cute and I am sad when it falls out during the summer....

firehillqueen

Banned
My first little Sphynx cat, Singe, was only pet quality. He had curly hair on his legs and a hairy tail. In the winter he would get hair along his flanks, shoulders and up his spine. Du, my second, came from the same breeder and was one of the *show* cats and was slick as a rubber ball with only the thinnest covering of down on his ears and normal Sphynx facehair. Du barely could boast of having a whisker one while Singe was blessed with stubby crooked whiskers.

Back