Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Male Toileting Behaviors

dpannell

Lairian
We have two female sphynx kittens, Sookie (blue point) and Tara (blue/white point). We are thinking about getting a boy however, we have never had a boy and are unfamiliar with their toileting behaviors. Do they raise their legs to urinate, or do they squat? In regard to spraying, will neutering stop this?
Thanks!

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Male cats squat when they pee.
Unaltered males do spray and even some altered males can spray.
If a male sprays stuff it is very hard to get the smell out.
I have beds ect I had to throw out.
My brother has 2 altered boys that spray everything.
It really depends on the cat.
My boy is a very nice cat but he hurts my 2 girl sphynx.
If you get a biy make sure he is altered before you get him.

TotenEngel

Banned
I've always had boy cats (neutered at around 6 months old) and never had a problem with spraying.
When I first moved in with my now husband we had a couple of 'incidents' but with 3 boys at the time I think it only happened a few times and it was in the first couple of weeks after moving.
As far as bullying goes I have had boy cats that have been bullies and boy cats that have been bullied, I think things like that come down more to the nature of the cat, and again neutering earlier calms down all the 'male instinct' behaviour that may cause that sort of behaviour.

NinaGato

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I have one male that was neutered at 10wks old and one that was neutered at 3yrs old and have no bathroom issues. I also had a whole male and he always was faithful with using the box. My old guy has a tendency to not keep his butt down and so we use high backed litter boxes.

Just remember the litterbox rule: One box per cat plus one.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
We have always owned multiple altered male cats and have been very fortunate never to have had any litter box or spraying troubles. Ironically the fussy litter box user in our house is our alpha female.

The only health issue we ever had was with two separate DSH males who developed small blockages caused by squatting and touching down on clumping cat litter. In both cases (2 different cats 6 years apart) the males developed acute UTIs due to urine retention. One boy we lost to renal failure and the other we were able to treat.

susi794

Staff member
Spraying isn't only a male issue..females can and do spray too although not as often as males. My Moody sprayed terribly while he was intact. After he became sexually active and for three years, I practically had to follow him around with a spray bottle of vinegar and a rag to clean up after him. I got all my carpet taken out because of it. The vet said neutering him may or may not work since he had been a stud for so long. But it stopped the spraying completely. If you get the boy neutered early and your girls are spayed you shouldn't have a problem.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Butterball is a male and has never sprayed. I got him altered when he was about 7 months. It is my understanding that if you get them altered between 4 and 8 months the chances of them spraying decreases dramatically.

Oh and Butterball squats when he pees. I tried to get him to stand up like a man, but he just wouldn't have it. He's actually really good about staying clean in the litter box.

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sorry for double posting it was an accident. Here's a pic.

picture.php

dpannell

Lairian
Much thanks to all replies. After reading the posts, we're gonna kick back, enjoy our two girls, and rest our heels on this a while.

Back