Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Male vs. Female-differences?

zoes mom

Lairian
I'm just curious, to those of you that are breeders or who own both female/male sphynx cats what are the biggest notible differences? I own a female and find her to be a snuggler and very calm with the other pets.

Last edited:

Brooke

Banned
I'm just curious, to those of you that are breeders or who own both female/male sphynx cats what are the biggest notible differences that you notice? I own a female and find her to be a snuggler and very calm with the other pets.

I find both my boys to be more dependent on me, more lovable, and more demanding of my attention. The girls, though also extremely snuggly, are more independent and can be moody sometimes. Interestingly, my two girls don't like each other, but they both get along great with the boys. My boys are also more friendly with strangers, whereas the girls are curious, but approach with caution.

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This is a good question zoes mom I'm always curious about this...

I find both my boys to be more dependent on me, more lovable, and more demanding of my attention. The girls, though also extremely snuggly, are more independent and can be moody sometimes. Interestingly, my two girls don't like each other, but they both get along great with the boys. My boys are also more friendly with strangers, whereas the girls are curious, but approach with caution.

Brooke- are your males or females more vocal?

Sophie has become very vocal. She greets me with a small chirp meow when I come home. She meeeoooowwwss for food. When I pick her up she chirps if she likes it or protest meows if she doesn't want to be picked up. Then she HOWLS in the bathtub! :LOL:.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I have had both boys and girls before.
The ones that had the attitude were the Torties and Calicos.
Coco my 17.10 year old half siamese black and white cat is one of the nicest cats I ever have.
There are only a few times she ever was mean.
Once was when she had kittens and the dog came to close.
She warned her to stay back and the dog did not listen and Coco shredded her.
She does not hiss or growl no matter what even though she has so many problems.
I have never had luck with males.
Frisky and Bogart both got male blockage and died when I was 12 years old.
Yoshi had stones in his kidney that could not be removed because it would have killed him.
I had to have him pts Jan 11 2008 at age 5.
He lasted 8 months.
I wonder if it was pdk now.
Sasha and Meeko are very friendly but Meeko can have a attitude.
Coco lets new kittens try to nurse on her the first day they meet.
She was a great mom.
My sister has her son Midnight and he will come back to me if she can not keep him.
All my cats are friends also.
Yoshi would swat the new cats.

Brooke

Banned

Both...:LOL: 1 of each is a talker, so I can't say from my personal experience that has anything to do with being male or female.

Walter is the most vocal (talking constantly. I need a translator to figure out what he's standing on top of the refrigerator screaming about, or in the kitchen howling about, or in the bathroom chirping about...)

Helen is the next vocal. I can make eye contact with her and get her going (its really cute) or if she's hungry she'll let me know.

Nelson and Mandy don't talk much unless they really have something to say.

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Abby is only vocal to me...when others are around she doesn't say much at all. Is that odd in this breed?

heather

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Both...:LOL: 1 of each is a talker, so I can't say from my personal experience that has anything to do with being male or female.

Walter is the most vocal (talking constantly. I need a translator to figure out what he's standing on top of the refrigerator screaming about, or in the kitchen howling about, or in the bathroom chirping about...)

Helen is the next vocal. I can make eye contact with her and get her going (its really cute) or if she's hungry she'll let me know.

Nelson and Mandy don't talk much unless they really have something to say.

you're right, it prob doesn't have to do with male vs female but I was curious. That's interesting 1/2 and 1/2 :LOL:

I know I'd give anything to know what Sophie is saying. I came across and article online once that owners know best what their cats are saying. They did a test by recording cat sounds and owners of the cats more accurately described what the meow was about. I think they recorded hungry cats versus angry cats and I'm not sure how they did the rest.

susi794

Staff member
I agree with Brooke--my females like to snuggle me, but are more independent and can get a little moody with each other--my boys spend longer time sitting on or around me, are friendlier to strangers and get along with everybody. Moody, my alpha male is a talker--so is my female, Lulu.

PitRottMommy

Banned
My boys are laid-back lovers. They haven't met anyone they didn't like. My red male, Buck, is an attention seeker from anything that'll hold still long enough to be rubbed on. Baldwin is very tolerant, I can draw blood from him without sedation and he'll be happy to let me do so (as long as the treats are handy). They will happily chase down a happy dog tail.

My female, however, is very set in her ways and is a diva. There's a certain way things will be and that's how they'll be, darnit! SHE may initiate play with the boys, but they're absolutely never able to initiate it with her. She has no interest in being around the dogs, they have cooties.

I, honestly, prefer males. And if it weren't for the adoption of Buck and Buffy together (required), I likely would have simply gone with a second male (as this was what I was wanting to begin with). However, Buffy is very petite and enjoys sleeping on my chest under the covers (and she's barely heavy enough to feel, which is a substantial difference from the boys who feel like they're pressing chair legs into my chest, abdomen, face and bladder before settling down beside me to sleep :LOL:).

ETA: My female is also much more picky than my boys. She will only eat a certain protein at a certain time. My boys will vacuum up dirt off the carpet. And anything else that looks remotely like food.

abbyknitter

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
My boys are laid-back lovers. They haven't met anyone they didn't like. My red male, Buck, is an attention seeker from anything that'll hold still long enough to be rubbed on. Baldwin is very tolerant, I can draw blood from him without sedation and he'll be happy to let me do so (as long as the treats are handy). They will happily chase down a happy dog tail.

My female, however, is very set in her ways and is a diva. There's a certain way things will be and that's how they'll be, darnit! SHE may initiate play with the boys, but they're absolutely never able to initiate it with her. She has no interest in being around the dogs, they have cooties.

I, honestly, prefer males. And if it weren't for the adoption of Buck and Buffy together (required), I likely would have simply gone with a second male (as this was what I was wanting to begin with). However, Buffy is very petite and enjoys sleeping on my chest under the covers (and she's barely heavy enough to feel, which is a substantial difference from the boys who feel like they're pressing chair legs into my chest, abdomen, face and bladder before settling down beside me to sleep :LOL:).

ETA: My female is also much more picky than my boys. She will only eat a certain protein at a certain time. My boys will vacuum up dirt off the carpet. And anything else that looks remotely like food.

LOL:LOL:---the dogs have cooties, That made me laugh!:LOL:

zoes mom

Lairian
great answers thank-you:ThumbsUp: I've noticed my gal is independant she comes around for a snuggle now and then but loves to be alone in her special warm spot alot and doesn't need to be around me alot! In a way I wish she would want to be on me more! But if I have a warm blankie available she will stay put under it a while:Laugh:

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian

Sophie has become very vocal. She greets me with a small chirp meow when I come home. She meeeoooowwwss for food. When I pick her up she chirps if she likes it or protest meows if she doesn't want to be picked up. Then she HOWLS in the bathtub! :LOL:.

LOL Sounds just like Mo (only he doesn't howl in the bath tub!). He has got quieter as hes got older though. He is very possesive of me, shouts most of the time if I go out the room!

myspecialboy

Lairian
LOL Sounds just like Mo (only he doesn't howl in the bath tub!). He has got quieter as hes got older though. He is very possesive of me, shouts most of the time if I go out the room!

Chadwick, too! I can't even shut the bathroom door or he freaks! He must always be near me and must make sure I am well groomed by licking me about 80% of the time.

I do agree with PittRotMommy about preferring males to females. My mother bred Siamese cats growing up and I found that the males were much more affectionate than the females and the females were more "I'm going to do my own thing, so there!" All of the cats we had were sweet, but the males were much more loving. Also, they tend to be a little bigger and that means there is more to love! With the Siamese, the females were the most vocal, no doubt, but I would be afraid to imagine anyone more vocal than Chadwick... I almost got a female when I got Chad, but when I met him, it was a done deal.

When it comes to dogs, however, I'm the opposite. I by far prefer female dogs to males. Weird, huh?

Back