Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Man with 500 Cats

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This man in Florida gave up his job to care for 500 cats on his 30 acre property. This is a video of his Caboodle Ranch.
Replacement String:

Last edited by a moderator:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
hmmm, I have mixed views on this. Seems he really is taking care of those kitties and I was all excited until he was feeding them DONUTS!!! Atleast he is organized and trying to provide them little cat houses and he's doing a lot better job than most cat hoarders. I didn't hear the reporter guy say if he has an adoption program or not tho. I hope things turn out well for all of his kitties but I'm still not sure if what he is doing is a good idea or not...he's got some good things in place and then not so good. Thanks for sharing,,it was interesting.

holly_savage

Banned
I am also a little torn about this. It is great that he has given all these cats a home, but to the point that he may not have enough food for himself??? That is not a logical way of thinking. And I sure hope that ALL these cats are altered!!! It is a lovely thing, but maybe it should have stayed at 100 or so. But I guess to each his own.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I went to his website, it is very nice, he answers the hoarding question, as he is inspected and approved by the local humane society, he is also a non profit charity. You have to jump through a lot of hoops to get that status. He spays/neuters all the cats, and provides vet care and flea treatments. He does also work as a contractor.

Go check out the website~ it's a good thing:ThumbsUp:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Awesome. I'd love to have a few acres of land. I'd make me a little farm. I'd take in rescues and call it the Butterball Ranch. But I couldn't do 500 cats.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I feel much better about it now that ive seen his website! Good for him!

I still don't think he should give them donuts tho!

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
He's like the Pied Piper of Hamlet but with cats! I can see where he's really trying to care for them but dang, I don't see how one person can physically care for 500 kitties.

Sam lewis

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Wow!!! Mad cat man alert! LOL. I would like to visit that place to see all te cats, I definately couldn't manage 500 though! 2 is more than enough!

Last edited:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
That is a lot of cats. At first I thought the "500" was a typo. I'm not wild about the donuts, but am relieved to hear that the cats are altered and receive routine vet care. But I wonder how he keeps track of them all. With that many it must be hard to figure out who hasn't come to dinner, or how to find the ones who may be sick and hiding somewhere on the ranch. Amazing.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Mixed feeling here to. Just scary because $6000 a month on food? How long could he keep that up thats $72000 per year yikes. I just think if he runs out of money or his health goes down hill, then what there are 500 cats that will suffer.

Gadzukz

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Mixed feeling here to. Just scary because $6000 a month on food? How long could he keep that up thats $72000 per year yikes. I just think if he runs out of money or his health goes down hill, then what there are 500 cats that will suffer.

Check out his website, he has a plan in place for his replacement, also he has volunteers to help care for the cats. He has an isolation area for sick cats too, it's crazy, but he is doing a good job

Bella07

Banned
Wow, that was interesting, thank you for posting! It sounds like this man has the best intentions, and I appreciate all of his dedication and work. 500 cats, is a lot though! I can't even imagine how he manages. As long as the cats are healthy and cared for, I have nothing against the situation. In my opinion, it's a whole lot better than the cats being put down because there aren't enough adoptable homes for them.

2baldies

Lairian
What an amazing story. I can't imagine caring for that many cats. It takes a very different kind of person to pull that off, and WOW is that a TON of kitty poop!:BigSmile:

2baldies

Lairian

ckutkuhn7

Banned
I have seen news peices on this guy for a while now :) he seems to keep it rather clean too.

But sad to say yesterday a man here in my city was found with 65 of them living in filth and inbreeding for over 20 years. He kept them in an industrial area and lived elsewhere.

Cats living with 8 inches of feces, algae in water - Action News Jacksonville

Stories like this sicken me. I understand having a love for animals but if your not taking care of them then you don't have a love for cats or any other animal you may hoard!

Does it make sense that these cats are being re-released back into the wild because they are feral? They don't do this here or in NC so I'm not famaliar with this practice. In my county here in Ohio theyfoster ferals with people who are famaliar with ferals and they socialize them so they can be adopted.

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
they have no concept of human concept except from this .... guy.... ugh. So the humane society is going to relase them into the park (basically old abandoned warehouses) i think partially to appease the no kill proponents, to reduce their costs, and possibly rodent control. Im just putting out ideas. Our city is in a budget crunch like many other large cities.

The HS here really does love animals. I wish the 500 cat guy could take them tho.

Nair Bare

Lairian
Awesome. I'd love to have a few acres of land. I'd make me a little farm. I'd take in rescues and call it the Butterball Ranch. .

Hmmmm.....did you ever think if you called your rescue farm "The Butterball Ranch" that around Thanksgiving Day you would be inundated with live turkeys from thoses who could just not do the deed?

Maybe you could call your farm ....... "The Feline Pines" or "The Itty Bitty Kitty City" or "The Smitten Kitten"
Just don't call your place, "The Cat House" cause you might get all kinds of strays that you don't want.

Bella07

Banned
On Animal Planet, I think on (Wednesday?) they are having an Animal Hoarding special. I think it will be really interesting to watch, especially after hearing of these stories.

...It's true though, some people just hide behind their "pets" to avoid facing the real world. It's a shame, especially when they take it too far and start hoarding which leads to an abusive situation...:Cry:

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
ooh ill have to see if its on the guide yet so i can remember to watch it. well make the satelite tell me its on (no dvr)

Bella07

Banned
My mistake!!!

I just watched the commerical, and the animal hoarding special is premiering Wednesday, July 21.

The description is...
For the First Time Ever, Animal Hoarding is Explained, Addressed and Tackled in Animal Planet's CONFESSIONS: ANIMAL HOARDING

Premiering July 21, Six-part Series Explores the Human Impact and Animal Toll of Animal Hoarding

Sounds interesting!

Back