Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Many questions...got my first sphynx yesterday!

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hi all,

So, I have browsed around looking for some answers but couldn't find what I was looking for so figured I would post and see what people have to say! I am a new sphynx owner as of yesterday and have been doing lots of research.

Does anyone know about the anesthetic Ketamine? I have read that it is bad for the sphynx breed but want to know if anyone has solid info on this.

Next, she is clawing everything! I have read a lot about declawing and it seems that most people things it's mean. I have looked into alternatives like the Soft Paws nail covers as well. Input anyone??

Lastly, in reading about nutrition I have decided to feed her canned food but am not sure how much to feed her. I've read they need more because they are hairless. She's been eating 3.5 oz a day but I don't know if that's enough. I am going to do a partly raw diet and some canned but for now I just want to make sure she's getting enough.

tessblack

Banned
Sorry I do not have a lot of answers for you but you will get all your questions answered here. There is a lot of great people and info here. Yes I have a clawing cat Tux who loves to claw the furniture. De clawing is really horrible if you research what is actually done. I am thinking of the soft paws for him. You can search these topics as well and find answers. Welcome to the lair and welcome to the addiction. These little guys are just the best. I love the pics so cute.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi bean406 and welcome! Congrats on your first sphynx.
As for your questions Ketamine is not good for any cats, and most vets will not use it for cats just for dogs. If there is a undetected heart condition using this could be fatal.

As for declawing, try a scratching post and start young if she scratches something she should not tell her no by making a noise and then showing her where to scratch. Declawing is a very painful procedure.

last food, if you are going to feed wet food you also need to add dry. We leave dry out all the time and feed wet twice per day. Remember you can not over feed the first year, and yes sphynx eat more because they work harder to keep there body temp. up.

Hope this helps!

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks for the replies already...I think these forums are going to be super helpful!

I have read about declawing and it sounds really bad. But then I bumped into something today that made it sound like there have been advances in the way of pain management and reducing chances of infection that made it sounds not as bad. It seems to be a pretty heated debate though. I was going to pick up some nail covers but have read a lot of reviews saying they don't stay on. I did get her a scratching pad but she wants to scratch us and the furniture all the time.

susi794

Staff member
Welcome to te Lair and our online family of friends! Your baby is adorable. Ketamine can kill a sphynx with heart issues and since the breed is prone to heart issues, do notallow the vet to use ketamine on your kitten. There are a lot of messages here about that. Does your kitten act hungry? At her age, I would allow her to eat as she wants. As for the soft paws, several people here like them. Do you have scratching posts for her? f she starts scratching someplace you don't want ehr to scratch, say "NO!" then bring her to someplace that IS ok for her to scratch. These cats are highly intelligent and she should catch on quickly. Good luck with her.

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yep, she has a scratching post and has used it a few times. We have been telling her "No" a lot and hopefully she will catch on. She is such a lovebug and doesn't want to be away from us like ever! The first night trying to sleep was a nightmare, haha. She woke up wanting to play, which is great, but not at 3 in the mornin.

:Woo:

TotenEngel

Banned
hi there!
what a cutie and welcome to the lair! :)
Yes, you are correct about ketamine, there are various threads on here about it but you can ask your vet for other anaethetics that do not come with the same risk to sphynx (propofol seems to be favourite, but if you search for ketamine on the top search bar I am sure you will find lots of info on this!)

Luckily, I am from a country where declawing is illegal, despite medications, how would you like having your fingers chopped off?! Just teaching will stop unwanted scratching, I have had cats all my life and one of the first things they learn is a stern 'no' when doing things they shouldn't (eg clawing furniture!) With my little sphynx we used compressed air as a deterrant for jumping on surfaces he shouldn't go, a quick spray into the air stops most things!! (Having 3 furry brothers, my boy just followed suit and uses a scracthing post, but we still praise and fuss him when he does - a little encouragment goes a long way!!)

And, yes, as someone else says while they are growing so quickly, they really cannot eat enough!! My boy is 7 months and has wet food on demand with dry food down all the time!

Good luck!

TotenEngel

Banned
Yep, she has a scratching post and has used it a few times. We have been telling her "No" a lot and hopefully she will catch on. She is such a lovebug and doesn't want to be away from us like ever! The first night trying to sleep was a nightmare, haha. She woke up wanting to play, which is great, but not at 3 in the mornin.

:Woo:

a stern no is good but also praise when she does the right thing is good!!
Also, as a tip we tend to spend a dedicated half hour or so playing with our baby an hour or so before going to bed, that way he is tired out when bedtime comes!

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks...I didn't think to use air. I have a squirt bottle but air is a good less-messy alternative for training. I hope training her not to scratch will work out but I know it will be process. I have done reading about declawing and have also read that sometimes it changes their behavior...such as biting a lot more.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the lair- your baby is adorable! My Nudie likes to use those cardboard scratchers more than her cat tree ones. As far as food I leave dry out all day and feed wet food twice a day. Good luck and if you search enough around the threads here in the lair you will get a lot of needed info:BigSmile:

Hello and welcome to the Lair! That picture of baby is adorable!

As for your question on ketamine, never ever let vet use ketamine on your Sphynx. It can kill them. Make sure to tell your vet NO ketamine for your baby!

My kitten has started a lot of clawing now too. I make sure to keep his nails trimmed and provide a lot of scratching posts/areas. If he scratches on something inappropriate, I place him on his scratching area and tell him he is a good boy. I personally would never declaw.

What kind of canned food are you feeding her? Preferably it should be high protein and grain free. I don't know how old she is but she should be getting anywhere between approx. 8-12 oz per day.

TotenEngel

Banned
Thanks...I didn't think to use air. I have a squirt bottle but air is a good less-messy alternative for training. I hope training her not to scratch will work out but I know it will be process. I have done reading about declawing and have also read that sometimes it changes their behavior...such as biting a lot more.

I know someone else here mentioned the fact that a water squirt could put them off baths which was my concern, they are stressful enough in our house as it is!!
Really, I can't beg you enough about declawing - there is a reason it is illegal in a lot of countries, but thats just my thoughts on it so I will try not to rant!!! Cover your chairs with throws etc maybe in the meantime to prevent the worst of the damage?

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I don't think I'm going to declaw. I have done a lot of research and it seems that being diligent and training her is the better option for her. I might try the nail covers, but yes, I have things covered in blankets for the meantime. What really hurts is when we're relaxing or sleeping and she decides to pounch or go "back surfing" OUCH! Tried putting her in her bed but she meowed and we finally let her back in the room. She doesn' want to be away from us EVER. I don't know if it's because she's getting used to it here still or if it's just a kitten thing but I need sleep!

Gullivers Keeper

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh no it's not a kitten thing it's a Sphynx thing, you can't sleep eat or go to the bathroom alone EVER again :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Thanks for choosing not to de-claw, it really is awful and may change the personality of your baby

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sphynx love constant companionship! My Nudie goes everywhere with me and sleeps with me. When she was a brand new kitten we had a few sleepless nights while she got used to us and the new house but then she got used to the routine. Keep everything consistent and she'll be great in no time:BigSmile:

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yep, I've learned that the days of going to the bathroom in private are over! haha. I hope she does get used to the routine. I love her snuggles but nighttime is challenging! I'm wondering if I should try and wear her out more with playing during the day so she conk's out at night. She naps so much though that when it's time for bed she's awake and ready to play!

I gave her her first bath today too and she was less than amused. I have heard that some sphynx's like water and some take some getting used to. The two of us managed to finish her bathing and ear cleaning. I have a really good organic coconut oil that I put on after and her skin is really soft and she smells good too!

This is probably a silly question, but I know that cat's nails are really dirty and carry a lot of bacteria (hence the itching/swelling when you get scratched)...is there anything you can do about this or to help keep their paws cleaner aside from bathtime??

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Hahaha- I know that baby, since I took your avatar picture ;)

You are getting great advice. Unfortunately, kittens initially have no impulse to control their claws and it can get a bit uncomfortable dealing with their super razor sharp claws! A nice cat tree is a good option, a can of air is good to ssshh at them- it will scare your baby away from the spots you don't want him/her to claw. Double sided sticky tape works too- put it on spots she is inclined to claw and she'll stop because she won't like it on her paws.

I don't know how much wet to feed and I am not inclined to feed wet. While wet is good for their kidneys, it is bad for their teeth. For my own cats, I use dry food- and it is out 24-7 and then I use water fountains to encourage my cats to drink more water, which is good for their kidneys. Make sense? As is- for wet food- follow the recommendations on the can. Kittens will naturally eat more then adult cats, but they need the calories because they are growing and most Sphynx will eat more then a regular cat because they burn through the calories quicker.

Congrats :D I really found your baby to be striking and cannot wait to see her grow out some more!

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Definately keep her awake and playing the last 2 hrs before you plan to go to sleep, it will help. To keep nails clean before and after baths, try baby wipes.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Oh- claws. You can extend her claws and scrape the gunk off and that will help keep them cleaner. Sphynx are prone to filthier nail beds/paws due to their nekkidness ;)

Gizzymom

Banned
Your little girl is SO cute!!! OK, I may have missed it, but did you tell us her name?

That is good that you are getting her used to baths / ear cleaning already.. I know a lot of people on SL have a HARD time at bath time. Although my Gizzy is not amused, he just stands in the tub and takes it.

I know a lot of people use baby wipes for nails, as well as bottoms.:ThumbsUp:

As far as sleeping, I would definitely play with her and rile her up 1-2 hours before bedtime. If you tire her out, she will sleep better. And if she seems to be napping a lot during the day, wake her up to play sometimes. Eventually, she will get used to your schedule and you will not have to do this anymore.

But welcome to the Lair!! We can't wait to hear more and see more pictures of your little girl!!!:Laugh:

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site.
Please do not declaw it is mutation.
Also never use KETAMINE it killed Gimmie my friends sphynx and is known to kill sphynx cats.
She will get used to baths.
The first time I gave my oldest sphynx a bath I got clawed.

bean406

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming...I'm excited that I found this place! My baby's name is Lilo and she's definitely a character!

I will definitely get some baby wipes...that is a great idea for both nails and her bottom. I have been massaging her paws now and then and extending her nails to get her used to me handling them for when it comes time for a trim. I was trying to figure a way to clean some of the gunk off her nails cause they do look quite dirty.

I have been looking more into feeding and will feed her more while she's a kitten. I have done a lot of reading on pet food and have looked into raw diets as well. As much as I would like to make my own pet food I am a student and work and that's not really feasible at this point. I have found some good canned foods that are low in carbs and grain-free, which is what I'm giving her for now. I am going to call the local butcher and see what kind of meat I can get because I would like to add in some raw as well. I don't have any dry food and really don't plan on it. A lot of the info I got came from http://www.catinfo.org. Some of it seems extreme but I think there is a lot of good information.

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
If you like raw, hon, with just one Sphynx- you could easily go with the premade raw. I used it before and really liked it. I want to say it's made by Nature's Variety? You should go to their site and see if they sell it in your area- probably in a feed store.

Gizzymom

Banned
If you like raw, hon, with just one Sphynx- you could easily go with the premade raw. I used it before and really liked it. I want to say it's made by Nature's Variety? You should go to their site and see if they sell it in your area- probably in a feed store.

Nature's Variety does make pre-made raw - frozen and freeze dried. In fact, raw diets are getting so popular that many local pet stores carry it. Not the big chains like Petco or Petsmart, but the smaller "specialty" pet stores, as well as feed stores.

Nature's Variety also makes a great canned food that my Gizzy loves:Laugh:
Grain free of course!!

Back