Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Marbofloxacin/fluoroquinolones???

cchloerun

Banned
Is anyone familiar with this drug at all? My little 3lb, 4month old Sphynx Miso was prescribed this today (in addition to Azithromycin) for a very resistant URI- poor baby:-(
I am supposed to begin giving it to him today, but after looking it up I am really scared! It says not to be used in immature animals under 12months old, as it retards bone and joint growth plus a lovely slew of other side effects. I know every medication comes with risks, but to clearly state 12 months and older only is worrisome.

Would you give it to your 3 lb baby? The dr is not in again until monday, of course...

Attachments

• babymiso.jpg
    babymiso.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 24

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I have never used the drug i know of. Is it your normal vet and have you used him for awhile and do you trust him? I did some research on the drug and it did say it could effect younger animals. My best guess would be the warning is for a long term use of the drug. You do need to start treating the illness as soon as possible. Hope your kitty is feeling better soon.

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
If you are ever unsure of something, call your vet and ask for some clarification and don't hesitate to voice any concerns. I'm sure they would be more than happy to explain Miso's treatment plan. Hope he feels better soon.

If the disease is that resistant, then you need to give the antibiotics. You need to give them and give them as prescribed or your baby might not get better. The disease could get more and more resistant and then no antibiotic will work.

The antibiotics, that line of them anyway, do have the potential for causing damage, but better to have a short, smaller cat, than no cat at all...