Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

marking/peeing

lylwhitetiger

Lairian
ok so first im going to ask a dumb question. marking and peeing are two completely different things right??
ok so heres my problem. Baldwin has been peeing in places other then his litterbox. i was thinking he was "marking" but i thought they sprayed when they marked?
granted hes only been here about a week now. hes been doing great going in his box. but the past couple days hes been peeing on carpets, pillows and on top of my dryer- yea weird. what i thought was really weird was when he peed on my dogs blanket that is in her kennel in front of me! so now hes living in the laundry room and i hate it :( but i cant have him peeing where ever he wants.
what really confuses in me that he has 2 litter boxes cause i purchased a cat genie. so he has that which he is using and the original is still up while we are transitioning.
background- hes almost 2 and not neutered. (appointment on the 2nd to get neutered)
will this stop after the neuter or is this a bad habit im going to have to break? i really hope he stops i hate that he has to in the laundry room when im not around to keep an eye on him :(
any suggestions?
thanks!

Brooke

Banned
ok so first im going to ask a dumb question. marking and peeing are two completely different things right??
ok so heres my problem. Baldwin has been peeing in places other then his litterbox. i was thinking he was "marking" but i thought they sprayed when they marked?
granted hes only been here about a week now. hes been doing great going in his box. but the past couple days hes been peeing on carpets, pillows and on top of my dryer- yea weird. what i thought was really weird was when he peed on my dogs blanket that is in her kennel in front of me! so now hes living in the laundry room and i hate it :( but i cant have him peeing where ever he wants.
what really confuses in me that he has 2 litter boxes cause i purchased a cat genie. so he has that which he is using and the original is still up while we are transitioning.
background- hes almost 2 and not neutered. (appointment on the 2nd to get neutered)
will this stop after the neuter or is this a bad habit im going to have to break? i really hope he stops i hate that he has to in the laundry room when im not around to keep an eye on him :(
any suggestions?
thanks!

This could very well have to do with the fact that he isn't neutered yet. Is he still using the litter box, too? When I got Walter, he was 2 years old and not neutered, and he peed in my closet a few times. It did stop once he was fixed. You will want to make sure there isn't an underlying medical reason for him to pee outside of the box - this can sometimes indicate a UTI. A simple urinalysis will rule that out. But, I'm more inclined to think it has to do with him still being intact.

Make sure you're cleaning up his pee spots with a good enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle or something similar) to remove all traces of the smell, so he doesn't smell it and think it's okay to continue to pee in those areas.

Good luck!!

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
This could very well have to do with the fact that he isn't neutered yet. Is he still using the litter box, too? When I got Walter, he was 2 years old and not neutered, and he peed in my closet a few times. It did stop once he was fixed. You will want to make sure there isn't an underlying medical reason for him to pee outside of the box - this can sometimes indicate a UTI. A simple urinalysis will rule that out. But, I'm more inclined to think it has to do with him still being intact.

Make sure you're cleaning up his pee spots with a good enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle or something similar) to remove all traces of the smell, so he doesn't smell it and think it's okay to continue to pee in those areas.

Good luck!!

Exactly what Brooke said. Definitely rule out an UTI first. Once he's neutered it should stop.

susi794

Staff member
My Moody used to mark EVERYWHERE...was really worried he wouldn't stop after neutering, but he did.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
With my previous furred male kitty he would mark but once he was nuetered he quit. I agree with the other gals to rule out any UTI's or medical reason as to why he may be peeing outside the box and I can personally atest that Natures Miracle is THE BOMB! It works wonders!!!!

PitRottMommy

Banned
Marking and peeing are two different problems. Males who are marking stand, often back up to their target and twitch their tail as they spray. Urinating males squat and pee. It's easy to tell the difference between the two because of the stance they hold.

If your companion has been in your care only a few days, it may not be a urinary tract infection but simply stress. However, as the others have mentioned, UTI's run a high risk and (moreover) cats that "do it in front of you" are ten times more likely to have a UTI than simply to be reacting because of stress.

Neutering often DOES help (if not stop completely) marking. However, this doesn't sound like what he's doing...it sounds like he's peeing. The most important things to note for cessation of urination in the house:

1) Rule our a UTI - See your vet and have them run a urinalysis. A short round of antibiotics often does wonders.

2) Rule out stress - For the time being, I would recommend purchasing a Feliway diffuser for your home not only to help him settle, but also to cut down on the chances of him spraying during the time he's been neutered and the hormones are still present. Feliway contains the same hormones present in a mother's cheek glands and helps to give cats an overall sense of calm and contentment.

3) Take away all reason for marking - This means neuter him (which you've already got planned, way to go!), clean everything he's already peed on with a enzymatic cleaner (Nature's Miracle was mentioned...we love this stuff as much as the previous poster) and remove access to his "trouble spots" that he likes to frequent. In addition, don't allow him around intact females. Female cats who are not spayed are almost always in heat. Don't even risk it. Try to keep your yard free of them too, males can still detect their reproductive status from within a house. Even after altering, it takes a few days to a few months before he's totally devoid of his manly hormones and he will still react (ie calling, trying to escape the house, etc) if a female encourages this activity with her presence.

In addition, there are other (more major) problems that can follow a cat's diet that causes urinary issues. Would you please tell us about the food he's eating and how his eating habits are? Any underlying problems he's had in the past?

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
What kind of home was he living in before you adopted him? This could have alot to do with it, was he ever used for breeding? or allowed to try:Woo:?
was he potty trained? and if so was his box kept clean?

lylwhitetiger

Lairian
well he is definitaly peeing- not spraying.
he was a breeder- which is why hes not neutered.
i dont remember the name of the food he was on- some natural food from a feed store. but i have switched him to blue buffalos indoor chicken and brown rice formula which he has taken to well. no diahrrea or anything. i have food for him at all times and his water intake seems to be normal.
as for his litter habits prior to adoption i noticed 2 large tuppaware boxes used as litter boxes. they looked clean, didnt really look IN them, lol litter used is the same other then the cat genie he is using. still have 2 available.
sorry if i missed any questions. i have made an appointment for him tomorrow just to rule out UTI i cant wait until the neuter on the 2nd if it is an UTI.
thanks for the advice! from everyone. i will have to pick up the miracle cleaner.

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
well he is definitaly peeing- not spraying.

Boys can/ will squat on things as well as spray. The fact that he did it to the dogs bedding makes me think its an insecurity thing and he's laying claim to everything in his new home.

Feliway will help, his neuter will help too.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with the Feliway suggestion, also while you have them at the vet, make sure they do a FULL blood panel, not just the simple one they normally do before anesthetic, and a urinalysis, this will rule out UTIs and other health problems that the stress of moving to a new home can bring up. When I first brought Oogie home, he was already neutered, but he did pee in odd spots for a while. He will also pee outside his box if his box is at all dirty, he's very finicky about how clean his box is, if it's not cleaned at least twice a day, he'll start finding other spots to pee!

Brooke

Banned
I agree with the Feliway suggestion, also while you have them at the vet, make sure they do a FULL blood panel, not just the simple one they normally do before anesthetic, and a urinalysis, this will rule out UTIs and other health problems that the stress of moving to a new home can bring up. When I first brought Oogie home, he was already neutered, but he did pee in odd spots for a while. He will also pee outside his box if his box is at all dirty, he's very finicky about how clean his box is, if it's not cleaned at least twice a day, he'll start finding other spots to pee!

Helen is the same way...super finicky about a dirty box. Plus, she's at the bottom of the cat totem pole and if one of my other 3 is anywhere near the litter box when she has to go, she'll pee somewhere else. They stalk her, and chase her away from the box...it's a problem. When she starts acting like she has to "go", I have to literally pick her up, set her in the box and chase the other cats away so she can do her business in peace. Poor girl.

lylwhitetiger

Lairian
i do not think its a dirty litter box issue. like i said he has 2. for 1 cat! the cat genie cleans itself- so its never dirty unless he JUST used it and i clean the other as soon as he goes or as soon as i get home or get up in the morning.
i am leaning toward him steaking his claim.
i will let everyone know what the vet says tomorrow :)

Mug-ys mumma

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I hope there's no UTI there and it is a territory thing.

When I got Mug-Y he was very clean and his litter bowx came with him and he used it always. I cleaned it every time he used it, then for no reason I could find he started peeing on the front door mat (which is set into the carpet) , this went on for about a week with me trying all sorts of things to change it. Then he poo'ed aswell...went and bought a new bigger litter tray and it stopped...finicky little bugger just didn't like his tray anymore!! :LOL:

X

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I think he is just letting evryone in your home including the dog that hey I am here and I am the boss.
I also think it has to do with breeding, when Athena is in her room and Leo can not get what he wants he will sometimes pee on the floor:ThumbsDown: So I think when he is fixed this will end soon after.

lylwhitetiger

Lairian
alright just got back from the vet AND ... NO UTI, yay!!!
BUT :( she detected a murmur! she said it sounds normal (not sure how something abnormal can sound normal) but were going to have xrays completed prior to going in for surgery.
ugh! im really kinda frustrated. i wonder if the guy i adopted him from knew about this! im going to email him right now!

ckutkuhn7

Banned
BUT :( she detected a murmur! she said it sounds normal (not sure how something abnormal can sound normal) but were going to have xrays completed prior to going in for surgery.
ugh! im really kinda frustrated. i wonder if the guy i adopted him from knew about this! im going to email him right now!

ew - no fun! Goodluck and keep us posted.

PitRottMommy

Banned

An echocardiogram needs to be scheduled for him, radiographs are much, much LESS diagnostic. I'm sure you've heard just how many sphynx have HCM. I'd recommend doing the echo before the neuter. I just had dentals for all three of my cats performed and they ALL had echos before they underwent anesthesia. A major thing to note is that most HCM+ results (ie. A "valentine heart") will not show up on radiographs (if ever) unless the cat is practically in heart failure.

On a side note, make sure you know what your vet is using for the anesthetic. These guys do best when masked down with iso- or sevoflurane. This breed does not tolerate ketamine/rompum very well, which is a common "old school" cheap anesthetic. Moreover, cats with a heart condition do even worse than those that are just, alone, hairless.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
An echocardiogram needs to be scheduled for him, radiographs are much, much LESS diagnostic. I'm sure you've heard just how many sphynx have HCM. I'd recommend doing the echo before the neuter. I just had dentals for all three of my cats performed and they ALL had echos before they underwent anesthesia. A major thing to note is that most HCM+ results (ie. A "valentine heart") will not show up on radiographs (if ever) unless the cat is practically in heart failure.

On a side note, make sure you know what your vet is using for the anesthetic. These guys do best when masked down with iso- or sevoflurane. This breed does not tolerate ketamine/rompum very well, which is a common "old school" cheap anesthetic. Moreover, cats with a heart condition do even worse than those that are just, alone, hairless.
I totally agree with you! One question, though, I'm still learning alot about HCM in Sphynx, can an ultrasound diagnose HCM? I know the local dog club is offering ultrasounds for both dogs and cats at a show coming up next month and I've been thinking about taking all 3 of the Sphynx in, but is that really what is needed to make sure their hearts are healthy?

PitRottMommy

Banned
I totally agree with you! One question, though, I'm still learning alot about HCM in Sphynx, can an ultrasound diagnose HCM? I know the local dog club is offering ultrasounds for both dogs and cats at a show coming up next month and I've been thinking about taking all 3 of the Sphynx in, but is that really what is needed to make sure their hearts are healthy?

Echocardiogram=ultrasound. So, the answer is yes.

You need to make sure whomever is reading the scans is a cardiologist and, preferably, board certified.

sphynxsophia

Lairian
Will females do this? Sophia is the only cat right now BUT we did foster in the past and we had a neutered male who did Mark bc of us having such a large dog. I paid to have the carpets cleaned before Sophia came home.. however, today, I noticed she peed in the same spot the boy had peed previously even though he litter box is clean and the carpets are too. I guess I can only assume it was in the pad and she is marking on top of his? I hope this isnt a reoccuring thing. She goes in Wed for Spaying. will this help?

She has also been pooping outside of her box a few times even though I clean her box Everytime she poos in it. she has done it twice now in the 2 weeks she has been here.

Marnasobsession

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Helen is the same way...super finicky about a dirty box. Plus, she's at the bottom of the cat totem pole and if one of my other 3 is anywhere near the litter box when she has to go, she'll pee somewhere else. They stalk her, and chase her away from the box...it's a problem. When she starts acting like she has to "go", I have to literally pick her up, set her in the box and chase the other cats away so she can do her business in peace. Poor girl.

My new rescue Casper has squatted twice on my bed in the last 2 days. I gave him his own litter box because he is being stalked by Fester the bully. I think it is behavioral because his owner said he only did it on anything made out of down. Well, no down here. Didn't mean to take over the thread but feeling a little frustrated. I now have to follow him around or lock him in a bathroom. I will take him to the vet and rule out a UTI then go from there.:Cry:

Boonecat

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
any suggestions?
thanks!

Yes, rule out any medical issue for now. If the vet cannot find anything wrong, then most likely you will have to do your best until Baldwin gets neutured.

DoctorSpock

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I had the same problem after 4 years of no litter box issues. Then he pee'd in my slipper, on hand-me-down dog clothes, hallways, and at the front door. The last straw was a poop in my spare bedroom. I did some research and determined it was behaviorial marking. I also read tons of raves about a litter called Cat Attract by Dr. Elsey. I ran out the next day with a coupon and rebate to Petsmart and lucky me it was on sale for $13.99! Stuff weighs a ton in a small bag. Dr. Spock immediately started sniffing the bag and I put it in a new litter tray. Voila! It was annointed and low and behold he even covered it up! Ever since he was a kitten at 11 weeks did he never covered his pee/poop! He seems to like it and it works! Plus, it really lasts a long time and is very dense and clumps like a champ.. Of course I still had him checked and I was right!

Back