Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

"mature" sphynx

Gizzymom

Banned
You know.. I have been reading all these sad stories about sphynx's with HCM, blood clots, etc. My heart goes out to all of you who are or have been affected by this. But now that my Gizzy is 7 years old and considered "mature"... LOL... I am getting paranoid. Does anyone have an older sphynx or have had a sphynx that lived to be a ripe old age?? I only knew one other person (personally) that had a sphynx and he passed away at 9 years old (still not old for a cat).

Please help!!! I think we all could use some stories about sphynx's living a long, long time. :Sweat:

Jody (Gizzys mom)

Keep in mind is yes, you are hearing a lot about HCM but not necessarily hearing about those of us who do have "mature Sphynx". It doesn't mean that Sphynx do not live to be a ripe old age like any other breed of cat. It is something to be aware of but it doesn't mean your kitty will not live to be a very old Sphynx!

Gizzymom

Banned
There are many sphynx that were old.
Grandpa sphynx I think was 34 years old.

That was the world's oldest cat, right?

Do you know of any personally?

I have sat down and talked to Gizmo and we have come to an agreement that if I give him treats and belly rubs everyday, he will stick around till he is at least 20!! LOL

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Take heart, Gizzymom! :ThumbsUp: My sphynx cat Piglet is almost geriatric by sphynx standards....she will be 11 years old in March! As far as I know, she's as healthy as can be (no HCM or heart murmurs yet) and is still pretty spritely for her age. Piglet is a registered therapy cat through the Delta Society and American Humane and still has the energy and will to go on weekly visits to nursing homes and schools. :BigSmile: I love my little Piggys and hope that she'll live on for at least another 10 years! :Kiss:

Gizzymom

Banned
Take heart, Gizzymom! :ThumbsUp: My sphynx cat Piglet is almost geriatric by sphynx standards....she will be 11 years old in March! As far as I know, she's as healthy as can be (no HCM or heart murmurs yet) and is still pretty spritely for her age. Piglet is a registered therapy cat through the Delta Society and American Humane and still has the energy and will to go on weekly visits to nursing homes and schools. :BigSmile: I love my little Piggys and hope that she'll live on for at least another 10 years! :Kiss:

You must be so proud of Piglet making such a difference in the world!! I am a physical therapist and I have seen what a difference a therapy animal can make... especially with the elderly. You go, Piglet!!!

It also makes me smile every time I hear his name, cuz piglet from winnie the pooh was my favorite and I have him tattooed on my ankle dancing through flowers.:Smile:

sydkat7

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
You must be so proud of Piglet making such a difference in the world!! I am a physical therapist and I have seen what a difference a therapy animal can make... especially with the elderly. You go, Piglet!!!

It also makes me smile every time I hear his name, cuz piglet from winnie the pooh was my favorite and I have him tattooed on my ankle dancing through flowers.:Smile:

Thanks for the kind words, Gizzymom! :ThumbsUp: I am very proud of Piglet and her therapy work. Even as old as she is, Piglet brings so much love and smiles to some very needy people every week. I hope to make my new sphynx Peppe a therapy cat, too, when he's ready.

That is SOOOO cool that you have a Piglet tattoo, too! :Laugh: Would love to see a pic of it sometime!

firehillqueen

Banned
We were told when we adopted Tosca that she was 10 years old. Being terribly over weight and suffering from several problems brought about by obesity. She is no longer horribly overweight, she is very active and pronounced healthy by our vet. We are looking forward to many more years with her and our younger three. I lost my first sphynx to HCM and not a day goes by that I don't miss my sweet beloved Singe. But without knowing him I would not have Tosca, Cadeau, Ciel and Chimere'. He opened a new world for me, and everyday I am thankful for the love these little strange cats share with me.

Gizzymom

Banned
Gleek is only 6 months old, but prior to him we had 3 Sphynx that we got in the early 90s. Gollum and Zulie both lived to be 11, and Tanker (who had a mild case of HCM) passed away in 2008 at the ripe old age of 16 1/2.

Great to hear!! By the way, LOVE the name, Gollum! I am a Lord of the Rings fan, my preciousssss... LOL

Back