Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Max is here!

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well we got Max today, he is a strange looking cat but so far is just like Leo, loves the facial hair, and snuggling, he is a cooool cat though, will have pics later, he needs a bath, nails clipped and ears cleaned.:Cool: he is still trying to get along with Leo, so they are having their moments but over all its going well!:ThumbsUp:

ElGatoLoco

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Can't wait to see him! Is Max short for Maximus? Just wondering if his name goes along with the Roman theme.

Oh yeah. What are the new babies names?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Well we have got a Maximus here on sphynx lair, but I do love the name so he will be max or maximus II. So far the kittens are "Benjamin Buttons", .......and thats all for now, maybe you guys can come up with the other two female names.:Laugh:
Max had some blood in his poop , we did change his food from purina indoor to science diet,but I cant see that being the problem so soon. So we will keep an eye on stool for next day or two, could be nerves or some thing, if it happens again we will bring a sample to vet on monday, he seems ok, chasing Leonidas around the house. We called the previous owner and she seemed concern but did not notice it, they seem like nice trustwothy people.
Will keep you guys posted. pics coming soon!:ThumbsUp:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Can't wait to see pics of Max, for you guys to call him a strange looking one, he must be extra special :BigSmile:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
heeeeeeeeres Max!

Attachments

• max1.jpg
    max1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 35
  • max2.jpg
    max2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 34
  • max3.jpg
    max3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 34
  • max4.jpg
    max4.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 33
  • max5.jpg
    max5.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 33

Brooke

Banned
Well, I don't think he's strange looking at all! I think he's super cute!! He looks like he might be a silly goofball!:ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
He is very handsom but I am now very worried about the blood coming out of his but it was 3 times so far #1 had very runny poop then blood dripping from but. #2 went in box only went pee and had blood dripping from but #3 went in box nothing came out, had blood dripping from but???? Only had very little in the poop(yes I looked threw it:Badly:) I really want to help this little guy but am worried for my dear Loe, Athena, the babies, and my new Delilah. (I think Sidney is safe she don't really bother with any of them). I gave Max A dose of worm meds so if thats the case hopfully it helps. I just can't find what it could be it is very red fresh blood everything I found says will cause dark dried looking blood? What the heck do I do????Just my luck I try to help someone and I get the cat with the bloody but, come on like loosing A baby kitten today wasn't enough for me!:Angry::Furious::Exclamation:

Brooke

Banned
Of course, this would happen on a holiday weekend, when your vet is probably not open and the ER charges extra...

Crossing my fingers for Max, I'd keep him separated from the rest of the gang until you know what it is. Keep us posted! Poor guy.

About once a month, I find blood on Walter's butt. It scares me every time, but I check his litter box and find nothing in there, just normal poop. By the time I get to the vet, nothing wrong with him.

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am totally in love with his furry little face :BigSmile: But I am worried about him. I hope he's going to be ok :Cry:

kerrie78

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Well congrats on Max settling in! Hopefully the blood in the poop is just a stress thing. So are you guys going to keep any of the kittens now that you got Max? I feel like I missed so much since I haven't been online lately; work has been crazy.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
No not planning on keeping any of the babies, but I must say the little boy sure is A looker and if his personality matches it sure will be hard to see him go but I get 3 months with them all:BigSmile:

PitRottMommy

Banned
Well we have got a Maximus here on sphynx lair, but I do love the name so he will be max or maximus II. So far the kittens are "Benjamin Buttons", .......and thats all for now, maybe you guys can come up with the other two female names.:Laugh:
Max had some blood in his poop , we did change his food from purina indoor to science diet,but I cant see that being the problem so soon. So we will keep an eye on stool for next day or two, could be nerves or some thing, if it happens again we will bring a sample to vet on monday, he seems ok, chasing Leonidas around the house. We called the previous owner and she seemed concern but did not notice it, they seem like nice trustwothy people.
Will keep you guys posted. pics coming soon!:ThumbsUp:

If you guys did a fast switch from their food to your food, this can cause bloody stool. So can a myriad of intestinal parasites/protozoan. If it doesn't resolve within 3 days, I'd have a stool sample checked and get him on some GI meds. Frank blood can also be a sign of a gastric bleed. If he has any decrease in energy or begin showing signs of anemia (ie pale membranes with little sign of being bright pink), he needs prompt care. Read that to mean that you need to see a vet promptly, ER vets are open over the holiday.

Luvmysphynx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I agree with pitrottmommy - Keep an eye on it for a couple days, a quick change in food, even after just ONE meal, can cause bloody diarrhea, if possible, take him off all solids, see if he'll drink some pedialyte to prevent dehydration, and only offer pedialyte, clear broth, or water for the next 24. Science Diet has alot of perservatives, byproducts, and junk in it that doesn't agree with some cats - But then again, so does Purina. He could be developing a sensitivity to corn or something else in his food, if the problem continues, definatly have a stool sample checked, and if that's not showing a parasite or reason for the blood, I'd put him on a higher quality food that doesn't have alot of grain, that may help alot.

Moonstone

Lairian
Ok
Don't panic,
It could be the new food only.

the end of the intestine is very fragile (especially for sphynx) and bleed easily when changing food, especially if it's without a transition.

Dark blood will scare me, but fresh blood is not so scaring in this condition.

try to mix his old food with the new several days for the transition, increasing the new food qty every day.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Going to see vet first thing monday, he is full of energy and doing well on the out side its the inside we are worried about, but he is doing great, will keep informed on vet visit.
thanks guys.

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
I had alot of cleaming to do on Max the blood is only there after he goes and I wipe it and then he is fine? Seems to not be bothered by it at all. I clipped his nails, cleaned his ears, and gave A bath, he was well behaved for all of this and just loves to be loved I don't think he was getting much tlc where he was before. He has some black heads around his chin that really grose me out:Badly: you guys have talked about some of your having them on tails, yuk really give me A break and he had very goopy eyes I gave A de wormer and some eye drops and eyes seem A bit better so it's of to the vet monday he will probably have me commited for having another pet. :Woo:

Brooke

Banned
I had alot of cleaming to do on Max the blood is only there after he goes and I wipe it and then he is fine? Seems to not be bothered by it at all. I clipped his nails, cleaned his ears, and gave A bath, he was well behaved for all of this and just loves to be loved I don't think he was getting much tlc where he was before. He has some black heads around his chin that really grose me out:Badly: you guys have talked about some of your having them on tails, yuk really give me A break and he had very goopy eyes I gave A de wormer and some eye drops and eyes seem A bit better so it's of to the vet monday he will probably have me commited for having another pet. :Woo:

About the blood - It sounds like exactly like what happens to Walter. Sometimes when he's stolen food from me (remember I told you guys how he swats food out of my hand?) he goes in the litter box, and comes back out with fresh blood on his butt, none in the box. I wipe it off and that's it. So, I bet the switch to the new food is the reason for the blood. In fact, I just started adding some new high protein food to Walter's diet, so I bet he'll get some of it this week, too. Max and Walter might be bleeding together...geez...:Badly: This is another opportunity for me to thank you for this forum, because I can worry a little bit less about it now when it happens to Walter...now I know it's not so bad!

Is Max neutered? The thing with the blackheads on their tail, can also happen on their chin. It's the same thing. Thank God after I got Walter neutered he stopped getting them on his tail, but I did some reading and found a lot of articles online that tell you different things you can do to get rid of them. How is he getting along with the rest of the gang??

admin

Administrator
Staff member
No he is not neutured. His previous owner was attempting to breed him with two other females(whom she has rehomed also, but with no success) but we will have him neutered. He is getting along fine so far with Leo, they have there moments, Leo has a few scratches on him, but otherwise they are ok. He has had no contact with Athena, she is in her own bedroom. She is not going to meet him for a few weeks. Max is quit the lover, he is almost, I should say exactly like Leo as far as loving. I never thought another cat would have these characteristics of really being a lover.:Laugh:

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I would just like to express one more time....thank god Meecho doesn't have those black heads you guys are talking about :Badly2: Although today was pretty bad. I took her to the eastern market in DC and on the way there she got car sick and threw up. When I saw it happening I did what any mother would do. I put my had under her mouth the catch it....it was then that I figured I was a full fledge mother. I mean only a mother could do that for her child and not gag at the same time :Laugh:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Oh I don't belive you caught the vomit what A mom you are:ThumbsUp: I stopped doing that for my kids once they stareted eating solid food.

PitRottMommy

Banned
I would just like to express one more time....thank god Meecho doesn't have those black heads you guys are talking about :Badly2: Although today was pretty bad. I took her to the eastern market in DC and on the way there she got car sick and threw up. When I saw it happening I did what any mother would do. I put my had under her mouth the catch it....it was then that I figured I was a full fledge mother. I mean only a mother could do that for her child and not gag at the same time :Laugh:

Not feeding 4+ hours before a car trip will considerably cut down on the motion sickness (and amount of puke you'll have to catch, lol).

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Yeah normally she would've been fine, but I think she was snacking before I woke up. As if catching puke isn't bad enough, Meecho suffers from projectile vomit. I did however manage to catch most of it :ThumbsUp:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Well he is cute but I must say he has not grow on me yet :Shok: I guess I am just so used to Leo and Athena and Max is totally different from them he does not ever stop meowing or whatever he does, his breath stinks, goopy eyes, black heads, runny poop (ok thats my fault for changing the food but I had no choice he was hungry when he got here and thats all I had)and really stinky farts :Badly: beside all that he is good, after he got his makeover, ( the lady we got him from is a bit dizzy and I don't think she did much) so I am glad he is here because I know he is in A better place but the past two weeks have been A bit nuts for us. New puppy, baby kittens, old dog with runny poop:Struggle: and A new sphynx with just about every yucky thing A sphynx could have, and besides all that every time I touch him I feel like I am cheating on my Leo:Laugh: My husband likes him but he deals with none of the yucky stuff, so I guess that makes it alot easier. I know he will grow on me but I feel kind of bad not that I am mean to him but I do give the other 2 more love. Okay thanks for listening I think I feel better now!

kalliee129

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
you have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. Max knows you care about him but unlike Leo and Athena you haven't had him since he was a baby so it takes a little longer. I definately sounds like he is in a much better home then where he was. To think that someone could be so non chalant about the care of their animals especially a sphynx who craves so much human attention is just sickening. I'm so glad Max has you.

Back