Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Maximus

sharbeauty

Lairian
Hi I'm Sharon and very new to this site. My baby came home 3/20/10. She was a white and blue, totally loving little angel. She had a raging URI that became symptomatic on the first night she came to her new home. Vet visit followed, antibiotic insued. Follow up 4 days later, we see progress. Oh ya and she turned out to be a HE! I am saddened and devistated to report that Maximus died 3/31/10. I cannot explain the grief I feel. I loved and cared for Max day in and day out. He lived tucked in my bra and little paws and head peeking out the top of my shirt. He loved to be with me next to my skin, and I could carry on my activites of the day. The short 11 days he was with me were beautiful and I miss him more than I can express.
I have been looking online for another kitten. It's funny how none of them seem to compair to my Maximus. Of course how could they each is unique and holds it very own heart stealing beauty.
Thank you for reading and I hope to be reporting on the new kitten soon!

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the forum! We have such a wonderful bunch of people on here!

I am sorry for your loss!! I hope that you find a wonderful kitty to make new memories with!

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sharbeauty and welcome!
So sorry about max:Cry: How old was he?
All the sick kittys that seem to be going to forever homes latley make me :Cry:and:Angry: I just don't get it?

Good luck in your new search and I would be a bit more careful this time around.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Welcome to the site and I am so sorry he died.
I know how you feel Ty my sisters Bengal died also but the breeder is replacing him.
The replacement kitten my sister was going to get is a very high risk for HCM so she is taking a older cat.
Please be careful before you get another sphynx.

J

Jinxlover

Hello and welcome..I'm so sorry for your loss..

What is up with these breeders sending sick kittens to people lately??:Angry::Angry:

firehillqueen

Banned
Oh sweetie, I know its so hard to lose such a dear baby. We get so close to them so fast. We are better people for loving our furless babies.

susi794

Staff member
I am the breeder from whom Sharon purchased the kitten she's talking about--Maximus. This kitten was the kitten I have referred to as Noel. Apparently this kitten was a male--I don't know how on God's Green Earth it happened, as I have been breeding kittens for 2.5 years and I have NEVER made a mistake on the sex of a kitten. And certainly not one beyond a few days old. But when Sharon notified me that the kitten had passed away, and by the way, she was a he--I was flabbergasted to say the least. I thought she was trying to scam me and asked for a picture of the kitten, thinking she might have done something fishy--like people continuously keep trying to do. Well, her vet sent me pics of the deceased kit and it does appear to be the one I sold her. I am devastated at the death of this precious little angel and today sent her a refund check for what she paid for her/him. I would NEVER knowingly place a kitten in its forever home sick. I love my kittens and cats like they are my children. I take them to the vet at the drop of a hat if I think something is wrong. I would never have left Noel untreated if I knew he/she was sick. She(He) wasn't showing symptoms of anything, continuously played with the others and was becoming extremely social, climbed up on my lap every night to snuggle. I would never knowingly send a kitten to its death. And I would never try to rip someone off. I have been extremely honest with anyone here who asked about one of my kits--if I thought anyone was ill, I refused to sell them. I had taken Noel to the vet on 3/17/10 for her baby shot and check up and my vet said she was fine and told me I really should be keeping her because she had obviously built up an immunity to whatever it was Lulu brought to my house. She (He) had never been sick....but I treated everybody with antibiotics on the advice of the vets at Michigan State University just in case. After Sharon emailed me the first time and said that her vet said the kitten would've been sick for at least 10 days prior to her getting her on 3/20, I immediately called my vet and asked if that could be possible--he said "Absolutely not--that kitten wasn't sick on the day I saw it and gave it its baby shot."
Then to top it all off, Sharon and her friend came to pick up the kitten on a Sunday, very soon after I got out of church. Sundays are bath days and I had only made it through about 1/4 of my crew when they arrived, so my cats didn't look the cleanest--and especially Lulu's kits who had just started eating wet food and had crawled/sprawled in the food earlier that morning and were FILTHY, so I can imagine what a horrible person she thinks I am. You all remember the video of them with me saying, "oh oh, now everyone can see your grubby little faces..."
I am profoundly saddened by Sharon's perception of me as a breeder and human being--and who could blame her? I sold her an apparently terribly sick kitten that I had mis-sexed! Then I acted like she was a liar and trying to pull a scam on me--because I swear by all that is holy, I didn't know Noel/Maximus was sick. I know that the refund doesn't heal your broken heart, Sharon, and I offer you my deepest and sincerest sympathy for your loss.

Susi and the gang

J

Jinxlover

Susi we all know that you love those kittens with all your heart. There has been a TON of sick kittens on here lately(and not just yours). I for one think you did the right thing. People can pull such scams these days, you had to make sure. There are 2 sides to every story.. Some times bad things happen we can do nothing about. I will believe to my death bed that you did not know that baby was sick when you sent it to it's home. Keep your head up, it will get better:ThumbsUp:.

TanyaT

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I agree with Shannon! We all know and watched these babies grow! And I remember you saying that the vet said she (he) must have had some antibodies against what everyone else was fighting! We know you love your babies!! And yes everyone knows that stuff happens sometimes that is just not known!

Sharon, Good luck to you in your search! Big Hugs!

Sleepyheadkitten

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
And unfortunately, you can be the best breeder in the world and things happen...

My saying is that it doesn't matter how great of a breeder you are when GOOD things happen- it's how you respond when things go wrong that determines whether you are a good breeder or not.

I am so sorry about Max :( Any which way, it is horrible to lose a baby!

sharbeauty

Lairian
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I hold no ill will toward anyone. Susi your cats are Gorgeous! I could tell from our meeting that those beautiful felines are your life. Your knowledge and expert care with them is evident. I was indeed angry about getting a sick kitten but went right into nurse mode to love him back to health. I have much to learn about this breed. I was holding Maximus in my arms the moment of his death...No one can say I didn't do everything in my power to get this little soul well again.

I look forward to my next Sphynx encounter. I have fallen deeply in love with this breed and I know everything happens for a reason.

Many blessing to you Susi...thank you for your generous refund!

susi794

Staff member
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I hold no ill will toward anyone. Susi your cats are Gorgeous! I could tell from our meeting that those beautiful felines are your life. Your knowledge and expert care with them is evident. I was indeed angry about getting a sick kitten but went right into nurse mode to love him back to health. I have much to learn about this breed. I was holding Maximus in my arms the moment of his death...No one can say I didn't do everything in my power to get this little soul well again.

I look forward to my next Sphynx encounter. I have fallen deeply in love with this breed and I know everything happens for a reason.

Many blessing to you Susi...thank you for your generous refund!
Thank you Sharon,
I have to say I think you have a lot of class--you've handled this whole thing with more dignity and grace than I probably would have. I thank you for that and hope your next baby will be with you for a very, very long time. Thank you for trying to nurse him back to health--I can see by what you've written that he was very loved and that's so important to me to know. I am so very sorry and my heart aches for you because he was a very special, extremely loving little guy.:Cry::Cry::Cry:

havingalook

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
And unfortunately, you can be the best breeder in the world and things happen...

My saying is that it doesn't matter how great of a breeder you are when GOOD things happen- it's how you respond when things go wrong that determines whether you are a good breeder or not.

I am so sorry about Max :( Any which way, it is horrible to lose a baby!

I agree.
So sorry for your loss Sharon.:Cry:

Susan I know you love your babies, that is evident and my heart breaks for you. There has never been any expense spared where they are concerned, they are everything to you. For what its worth, I think you have done the right thing.

lemmysmommy

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I am so sorry to hear of the loss of Maximus. It is so hard to lose a kitten. I wish you luck with the purchase of your next baby.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
The entire situation is very sad and unfortunate. Sometimes it doesn't matter what we do, we are working against a higher power and he has a plan!

Sharon - I'm sorry for your lose, goodluck in finding your new forever kitty to love.
Susi - All of us here know you have put your heart and soul into your kitties and we know you did everything you could to ensure he was healthy when he left. I feel so awful for the loses you have had and I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is near for you.

apcolleen

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
Shar and Susi - kudos on handling this unfortunate situation like civilized adults. I can tell you are both emotionally hurt by this.

And yes I can see how Susi would be expecting a scam. I know of too many people who will sue or complain at the drop of a hat over the smallest things. I saw it at work tonight at Blockbuster with a simple video, someone trying to get something for nothing.

And Shar I hope you find one that lasts. There are unfortunate happenstances in life even with the most precautions and care taken.

sphynxluvr

Lairian
After reading all the posts from both of you, I have to say that you have my utmost respect! I recently lost my boy after 5 yrs. My family still grieves EVERY DAY over his passing. His brother reminds us daily of our lost by searching the house endlessly with no reward. The fact that you two can act rational about the unfortunate circumstances gives me hope for people! I'm saddened by both of your unfortunate losses. Bless you both! Thanks for sharing your unfortunate situation!:Cry:

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello sharbeauty and welcome to Sphynxlair! So sorry to hear of your loss. I know it will be hard to compare another to Maximus, but im sure in time one will catch your heart!

Back