Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

May have found a kitty

Alysha

Lairian
I replied to a Kijiji listing in a neighboring city (3 hour drive) in regards to two kitties needing to be rehomed.

1 of them is a year, and the other is a young kitten. It was mentioned the female doesn't like the other so I'm assuming the other is a boy, but neither age nor gender is a driving force for me.

The reply I got was sensible and well written and claims they are rehoming the cats because they've decided not to breed these two cats from a particular bloodline, and are going in a differing direction in their breeding. Neither cat as been tested for HCM but come from a breeder who tests all her cats (apparently). And she's looking for offers as to what people are willing to pay for these babies. Additionally I haven't seen pictures of them yet because she's experiencing computer issues.

On a base level not sure what to offer for either of them as I don't want to low ball and have some idiot take them, but we're also not living in a surplus at the moment which is why we haven't bought a kitten new. I'm also not really willing to make any solid opinions till I see the babies, it is kijiji and we all know the woes that go along with kijiji.

Would it be ok for me to ask for their bloodlines? And how would I go about checking the health of those bloodlines?

Okay, now I'm not trying to sound mean when I say this. But I think it might be a scam. She isn't showing pictures, and she's looking for the highest bidder? That's not really what I'd expect from someone who cares about the cats. It could be that she's just money hungry but I might suggest looking elsewhere. The cats will most likely be sick. But that's just from my experience with people "rehoming" their Sphynx and asking for the highest bidder. But I hope I'm wrong.

In regards to blood lines you can ask and it shouldn't be a problem if she was going to breed them anyway. Ask what the names of their Queens and Sires are and then check the HCM database, it's on here somewhere. Good luck.

klreese

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Sadly... i have to agree with Sianne and Alice. I would look elsewhere. Someone loving their cats and wanting to find the best possible home wouldn't hold a bidding war. they should have a concrete asking price, they should have pictures. If she can't load them to her computer, why can't she text them to you?
Honestly, i would not go further with this sale. There's a reason they have decided to go a different way with breeding- they aren't being honest.
keep looking- in my opinion.

Bella07

Banned
I agree....When rehoming your pets, the "Best Offer" should be the least of your concerns.

sphynxie

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I think you should be cautious. Ask as many questions as you can and if the answers don't sound right you'll know.

ckutkuhn7

Banned
Sounds like a scam to be as well unfortunatley - be very careful. The others have already given great advice in regards to the bloodlines. Goodluck!

Alysha

Lairian
The way it was worded wasn't necessarily that she is looking for the highest bidder, I know to watch for that one. It seemed almost more innocent and worded in a way that seemed like she didn't know what one would get for rehoming one here. Alberta doesn't have many sphynx breeders and they are exceptionally rare to find in rehoming situations, and as such she may not of found a compatible situation. But it could just be the scammers are getting better at padding their stories.

However I wrote her back this morning asking for more detailed information and she hasn't said anything all day. And I did a background search on her name & email address and nothing came up which is a huge red flag.

I hadn't put much into it, so I'm not sad. We're planning on buying from a breeder in the next year, but I always said if I found a legitimate kitty in need of reasonable health we would consider that avenue.

I agree with everyone elese.
Another thing she is saying she wants to use different lines to breed with now.
The lines could be riddled with HCM or other disorders.
I would be very careful.

Thats exactly what I thought as soon as I read that as well....

Alysha

Lairian
When I saw she was "changing lineages to breed", I too was honestly put off. Which is why I came here to .. had things moved forward .. see how to look into a bloodlines history of HCM or other illnesses. The lair seemed like a solid place to find that information.

It's such a small market here it's nearly ridiculous. But on a positive note - I've learned quite a bit from lurking the forums here for the last few months.

Mews2much

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
If you pm me with the lines I can trace them for you.
None of my sphynx came from my area.
2 came from the east coast.

Alysha

Lairian
If you pm me with the lines I can trace them for you.
None of my sphynx came from my area.
2 came from the east coast.

Thank you, nothing has moved forward because whe refused me about the lineage. But in the future when we pursue getting a kitten from a cattery, would you mind if I pm you for your opinion/check the lineages?

susi794

Staff member
She refused to tell you the lineage???? Just flat out refused? Wow--good one to steer very clear of.

beeblebrox

Lairian
OMG.. this is great support, guys. I need to come on this site more often.

SphynxLair is too cool.. :) I think you told me that moons ago Suzie, didnt ya?

Dez