Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Maybe some advice for UCM.

DaddyBullfrog

Lairian
Hello,
I’ve gotten so much already out of these forums. Thank you to all of you. My Soulmate, Nero, a beautiful, perfect blue Sphynx that is 5 years old is fighting advanced stages of (Unidentified type Heart Failure) I’m sure it’s genetic. I’m giving him Furosemide 15mg 3 times a day, Clopidogrel 19mg once a day, Pimobendan 1.25mg twice a day, and Gabapentin 25mg 2 times a day. He is at the point of fluid showing up in X-rays around lungs slightly and breathing almost 1 breath per second and pretty labored, not to the point of open mouth. He was wheezing 2 weeks ago before upping the Furosemide but that has subsided. he is eating and drinking normal. I trust my vet on this only because I have, myself read countless Veteranary studies and research papers and he has been spot on. First...... I’m asking. Is there anything Anyone has tried beside these meds that worked to lower breathing rates or the labor of the breathing? He is not too uncomfortable from what I can see but if there is anything at all that can help my sweetie boy feel better, I will try it. I’ve seen some things on a steroid but haven’t read on that yet. And second..... for me, I’ve not been a regular poster at any forum in my life but Ive decided to try and tell his story (and mine) to maybe get some comfort. I’m so hurting every hour of every day for my boy, I’m exhausted from sadness. I lost my first Sphynx right after we brought Nero home as a kitten 5 years ago. His name was Constantine, only 1.75 years old when he passed from Despicable, Sickening Thrombosis. I hate that word so much I could barely type it. I still haven’t gotten over Constantine yet and never will, then I see Nero breathing faster than normal one night and was terrified. I knew what it was because of my first baby and I was right, GD F-ing Heart Failure. So Sphynx parents PLEASE watch the breathing rate when sleeping or at rest. Should not EVER be above 30 per minute at rest. If you do see this, you NEED to take them in, please do, so you can catch this soon enough to have months, if not years with them before they go. Anyway, I’m just posting this to talk to like minded people who are as NUTSO as I am about our little monkeys. I can’t relate to anyone about this around me as they don’t understand. As I said before I’m devastated and right now am trying to keep my tears from hitting my phone as I type. I’m just trying to reach out to maybe help Nero and also myself. Thank you for reading my super long post if you make it through. I would love to post more about Nero like, when I say ”kissy” or make kissing sounds he rubs and bumps my face every time, how I he can open doors by himself (yes, even round knobs), and how I know he feels the same about me as I do him. But the post would be so huge... hahahahaha! Thank you for reading!!! Kindest to you all!!

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you for sharing your life and story with us. You are not alone. Heart disease is a topic that has increased in this community over the years because so many have dealt with it. Our vet said the same thing....watching breathing rates is the best way to monitor and catch fast in order to hopefully give more time. As far as CHF my understanding is that meds are the only way to pull the fluid off. My heart goes out to you wanting to make your baby comfortable. Just know we are here for you.

Sheldon13

Staff member
It sounds like you have a special relationship.

For the breathing, the reason he is doing this is because of the fluid on his lungs. The only way to get the fluid off is with a diuretic. Furosemide is the diuretic he is on so you have 2 choices. You can increase the dose again, or you can ask to try a different diuretic. I hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yoda mom

Staff member
@DaddyBullfrog ((((hugs))))) and positive vibes for Nero...
Thank you for sharing your heartfelt journey... we are here for you and Nero.... we all come together here with a lair full of love and support for each other and our nakids.... we get it....
((comforting hugs))) for you for your friend Constantine getting angel wings .... I truly understand... its was a wretched experience I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy... I lost my girl to feline saddlle thrombosis embolism (F.A.T.E)..... I will never ever get over it... she was only 2...
I miss her dearly... May your sweet Constantine and my Yoda girl be flying pain free and whole at the bridge sharing stories of all the love they knew in this world... remember , Constantine only knew your love

sending a lair full of positive vibes for Nero... he truly has the best of love and care.... every day a gift
hugs and head smooches , here for you.... please keep us updated... all paws are lair family

DaddyBullfrog

Lairian
Thank you so SO much for the replies all of you! And thank YOU all for sharing. It’s very nice to have support. I didn’t think anyone would reply while I was away at work this week. I can’t tell you all how it made me feel when I checked my email after a long week and seeing your kind words and advice. Nero is on Vetmedin also, twice a day I apologize I should have used that instead of the drug name. My vet did the same thing when I suggested putting him on (Pimobendan) lol. I had to come home early to take Nero to the vet again. He is wheezing and labored on and off. I slept with him last night because I decided to up the furosemide to try and help his breathing. I’m not sure what the highest dose is that should be given.... or at least has been given. Maybe some of you can tell me. I calculated his weight and mg then converted and it looks like I am pretty much up there from the manufacturers website. I’ll let you know what the vet says today. I hope this info can help someone else in the future too. This is a lot of medication and if people can see what an advanced regimen looks like maybe they can benefit. I can say that in our experience Nero has seemed to benefit from each medication in a different way. So these are crucial. I believe the Plavix and somewhat the Furosemide if I’m not wrong are the ones that have the best chance of defending against saddle thrombosis. Which no one wants to happen. Anyway, I’ll update you all after we get home. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words and advice. It’s seriously priceless to me.

DaddyBullfrog

Lairian
One thing I want to add.... I still am addicted to Sphynx’s I would take a whole house full of these beautiful beings. Even with the problems we’ve had with heart disease...... and last year with Nero’s sequestrum (haven’t mentioned that yet I don’t think).... I’m lucky to have my other best friend, Ichabod (attached pictures). I hope he does ok when Nero passes. I’m so affraid that he won’t. He is like the little annoying brother some of use have had that follows Nero everywhere..... hahahahaha! I don’t have funds to get another soon but I think it may be best to let Ichabod be the only Sphynx in the house for a while after. Gawd, I hate talking about after....

Attachments

• EB1BB9DD-1B05-4AB7-B88E-0767D2607039.jpeg
    EB1BB9DD-1B05-4AB7-B88E-0767D2607039.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 19
  • D9743B23-7B65-4892-944F-13E745228228.jpeg
    D9743B23-7B65-4892-944F-13E745228228.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 16

DaddyBullfrog

Lairian
It sounds like you have a special relationship.

For the breathing, the reason he is doing this is because of the fluid on his lungs. The only way to get the fluid off is with a diuretic. Furosemide is the diuretic he is on so you have 2 choices. You can increase the dose again, or you can ask to try a different diuretic. I hope that helps.

Thank you so very much for the reply. Sounds like you are a professional. And yes.... it does help greatly. I wasn’t sure about any other options. I just went onto Merck and read some about loop diuretic resistance and other options. Thank you for pointing me in that direction, much much appreciated.

DaddyBullfrog

Lairian
Well, the one thing I have been praying for NOT to happen DID happen this morning. Nero had his legs paralyze and in SO much pain. So out of 4 total Sphynx’s, all from different, reputable breeders. We have lost 3 to this........ I don’t have words right now. He died in my arms on the way to the ER. Someone with lots of power really seems to hate me. I’m crushed.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@DaddyBullfrog ((((((comforting hugs)))) I am so so sorry your Nero got his angel wings. Heartbreaking to lose 3 to this :(
Nero only knew your love beyond words ... we are here for you.... too many of us have felt this heartbreak from heart related issues with our sphynx besties. may they be at the bridge together sharing stories of all the love they knew in this world..

I wish a big squeeze hug could help right now... ((((((hugs))))))))

Sheldon13

Staff member
Well, the one thing I have been praying for NOT to happen DID happen this morning. Nero had his legs paralyze and in SO much pain. So out of 4 total Sphynx’s, all from different, reputable breeders. We have lost 3 to this........ I don’t have words right now. He died in my arms on the way to the ER. Someone with lots of power really seems to hate me. I’m crushed.

Oh my God I am so sorry...it must feel like the world is out to get you. I am crushed for you and I can empathize with the injustice you feel in your heart. I will say a prayer for you and your baby.

DaddyBullfrog

Lairian
Oh my God I am so sorry...it must feel like the world is out to get you. I am crushed for you and I can empathize with the injustice you feel in your heart. I will say a prayer for you and your baby.

Thank you so very much for you reply. You hit everything right on. I am lucky for people like you here at this forum. You understand..... and thank from the bottom of my heart for the prayers and kind words. It means more than I can say.

Lunaclaire

Lairian
I lost my baby last week to the same thing. I came home from work to find her paralyzed and she cried out for me. It’s so painful. I have never ached like that in my life. That is to say, you are not alone in this. It aches so much and you are not alone. Your baby loved you and got to be with you in his last moments and felt such deep love all his life. Thinking of you and sending good healing vibes.

Back