Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Me and my deaf cat

hopiedee

Lairian
Hi my name is Hope! I am the proud owner of a beautiful girl bambino named Peaches. Peaches is almost 2 years old and I just found out that she was born deaf in both ears. I always knew she was different. She isn't afraid of the vacuum, she doesn't come when I call even though she is very attached to me, she wont wake up unless I touch her, ect. I feel so stupid not realizing this sooner but it all makes sense now. Peaches is a very happy and healthy cat and you'd never notice that she is different unless you spent a lot of time with her. The only problem I have is getting her to stop doing things she shouldn't. I always thought she was being rebellious when I'd tell her no but now I realize she just doesn't near me. Does anyone else have a deaf cat and if so how do you deal with this problem?

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello hopiedee and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! Sounds like Peaches is a really special kitty! I have not ever had a deaf animal but perhaps one the the Lair members has and will chime in. Please enjoy the community! (y)

hopiedee

Lairian
Hello hopiedee and welcome to Sphynxlair! So glad you found us! Sounds like Peaches is a really special kitty! I have not ever had a deaf animal but perhaps one the the Lair members has and will chime in. Please enjoy the community! (y)

Thank you! she is very special

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Hello and welcome! Another member to check in with is RandE. They had inquired about great toys for their deaf cat, so they might also be able to give you pointers.

Patti

hopiedee

Lairian
She love
Have you tried a laser toy? Kitties love it and only need good sight to play :) Peaches looks alot like my bambino girl Nala, short, all white, and lots of energy!
http://sphynxlair.com/community/media/imported-item.20476/full?d=1393086535
her laser pointer. I always knew that she was never interested in bells or anything that jingled. Now I know why :). But she loves feathers and lasers. We've never had any trouble with anything except calling her and scolding her.

ElvirasMum

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Yeah raising a deaf cat is different from raising a hearing one for sure!
My Morticia was also born profoundly deaf in both ears.
We've been working a lot with visual signals. She knows if I point at her, and then down to the floor it means I want her to get down. She knows if I curl my fingers at her, I want her to come over to me.
She does sleep with her forehead pressed up against me, or her older sister Elvira. Every night without fail.
She loves light up cat toys, the laser pointer, and the fling a ma string!

Good luck!!!

hopiedee

Lairian
ElvirasMum My baby girl is doing well with signals already! The past few days instead of calling for her I wave my hand and she comes. I'm so proud to have such a smart girl. I am glad not to be the only one on here win a deaf baby. Not that I want your baby to be deaf, but it's nice to have the support. My Peaches sleep the same way, she is very touchy touchy and has to feel me when she sleeps.

Hairless Blessing

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Peaches is a petty little lady. So glad she has someone who loves
her unconditionally and gladly willing to do whatever it takes.
You both will be a blessing to one another.

Cleopatra Beers

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Try keeping her favorite treats with you, so when you are trying to get her to follow a signal, you can reward her for obeying. Sphynxes are so food-driven that they can be trained very easily. I use freeze-dried salmon and chicken--they're non-messy and Cleo will do almost anything for them.

Back