Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Meat Grinders for Raw Diet Cats

Hi! I am starting to do my own research on the topic of best meat grinders for making homemade raw cat food. I was wondering if anyone here loves their meat grinder, and if so, can you please share with me the brand and why? I am unsure of what to look for in a meat grinder.

I am placing my research notes here, in case anyone else is in the same boat as me in terms of research. I also will still welcome anyone on here's thoughts, suggestions and recommendations. I am very new to cat food/meat grinders, we are a vegetarian household!

Things to consider:
  • Can it grind bones? Look for a semi-commercial grinder
  • How many bones can it handle? 1200-1500+ watts or more
  • Price
Here is a list of my findings so far, based on raw cat groups:
  • TASIN TS-108 ELECTRIC MEAT GRINDER #12 -($170 - 1200 watts) "Grinds 30 lbs. chicken thighs & pork loin every 2 wks. For a year, holding up like new"
  • STX-4000-TB2-PD - STX International Turboforce II - ($200 - 2000 watts) "Works great chewed through 20 pounds of chicken thighs with bone in less the half hour, would of been faster but was sidetracked by poor starving kitty’s trying to help.. Weight 16 lbs and fits under my counter with pots and pans." ,"While this grinder can easily handle soft bones such as chicken, quail, rabbit or squirrel - it CANNOT handle hard bones such as beef, pork or turkey. "
  • STX INTERNATIONAL STX-1800-MG - ($170, - 3000 watts) - "I highly recommend this model! It works quickly for us and the price didn't break the bank. We were originally looking into the Weston 22 and may upgrade to that once we add more pets to our family since we'll be grinding bigger batches. We use the default "wheelbarrow" setting and the mix comes out at a good consistency! Our cats still get a good chew in when eating the mix. We incorporate small boney pieces in separately so they get to munch down on whole wing tips and rib bones of Cornish Hens and Quails. If your cat isn't able to chew on bones, powdered eggshell works as well!"
  • Kenwood MG510 - ($170, - 1600 watts) "not the best if you ram in too many chicken bones. Any 1500w+ grinder should do fine if you treat it with some respect and don't force it to overload"
  • KitchenAid Mixer Meat Grinder Attachment - "not recommended, it cannot handle bones!"
  • Weston 10-2201-W Pro Series #22 ($600 - 1125 watt, 1.5 HP) - "Do not be fooled by a lesser quality Grinder. I made that mistake. Now I am using a Weston 2200. Shop around, it is worth it to spend a little more for a lot less hassle."
  • Weston Pro-Series #22 ($600, - 750 watts, 1 HP) - This grinder is highly recommended by many people, "My Weston 22 grinds bones with no problem. I grind 10-12 chicken at a time."

Last edited:

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Well I'll share my limited experience.

I've been feeding raw for 5 years but for a good while I bought the meat already ground. In fact I still buy ground rabbit from Hare Today. Their price is reasonable and not only that, but I can't even find rabbit locally.

What I'm grinding myself is chicken. I'm using the Tasin TS-108. I bought it used on eBay so it only cost about half the new price. I also had to buy a meat cleaver (Henckels International Classic 6-inch cleaver for about $40). The Tasin works fine but it's not made for bones, so I chop the chicken into pieces about 2x2 inches big. That's why I bought the cleaver.

As I've never owned a meat grinder before, I can't say too much other than it works, at least as long as you put some elbow grease into chopping up the chicken. Honestly the grinding goes quick....what takes time is the prepping you have to do and then afterwards all the cleanup.

Monica

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
@TheTopaz Your notes are a fantastic help! We are entertaining the idea of switching the whole crew to raw (doggos + sphynx). The meat grinder was the second most daunting challenge, after locally sourcing all the proteins for the recipe. I’m following for other’s insights as well.

Well I'll share my limited experience.

I've been feeding raw for 5 years but for a good while I bought the meat already ground. In fact I still buy ground rabbit from Hare Today. Their price is reasonable and not only that, but I can't even find rabbit locally.

What I'm grinding myself is chicken. I'm using the Tasin TS-108. I bought it used on eBay so it only cost about half the new price. I also had to buy a meat cleaver (Henckels International Classic 6-inch cleaver for about $40). The Tasin works fine but it's not made for bones, so I chop the chicken into pieces about 2x2 inches big. That's why I bought the cleaver.

As I've never owned a meat grinder before, I can't say too much other than it works, at least as long as you put some elbow grease into chopping up the chicken. Honestly the grinding goes quick....what takes time is the prepping you have to do and then afterwards all the cleanup.
Thank you so much for sharing! This meat grinder shopping task feels a little confusing for me. Your feedback is wonderful.
Like you, I considered only using store bought ground and a powder supplement for the vitamins, bone, organs, etc. but I like the idea of bulk food preparations. I find that hard to achieve with pre ground meat right now, it’s often sold out or short in stock.

Condo commando

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
@TheTopaz - the ground chicken I was buying was sold in bulk and it had bones ground into it. The only problem I had was that the company changed the size of the grind and the bone pieces became too big for cats. One night I ended up at the emergency vet because one of my cats got a piece of bone stuck in her jaw.

As for rabbit, it's never been a problem because the company I buy that from makes a fine ground that's perfect for cats. Honestly you can't go wrong with rabbit from Hare Today.

I only use meat with bone because the point of raw food is to provide as close to a natural diet as possible. So I use real bone even if I have to grind it. As a side benefit, it's also cheaper.