Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Medicine tips

AlliHille

Lairian
Does anyone have any tips for getting meds in your kitties? I'm struggling to give my poor Pico his four heart meds. Three of them have to be given twice per day and one at night. I have a pill gun for the three pills and a syringe for the liquid lasix.

I hate having to stick something down his throat 3-4 times. I tried pill pocket treats and that only worked for a day or two before he caught on to what I was doing. I don't want him to end up resenting me because of the meds. :( I feel like he's giving the the suspicious side-eye when I approach him now. I couldn't get his Vetmedin down his throat this morning. I got the first two, but he escaped me before I could administer the last pill.

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
When are you giving the pills? I have found doing it just before I feed them I have the best luck with the pill pockets. I will put a tiny bit of food over the pocket if our one gets finicky. You can try draining some juice from a can of tuna and pour it over the pill pocket. It should help mask the smell of the pills they can sometimes smell.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@AlliHille , I asked my vet for a pill popper and a little liquid plunger (no charge but had to ask). the rubber tip has slits to hold pills.

I bought an extra pill popper on line. my kitty had a bunch of heart meds. my vet showed me how to use the pill popper. it got easier to use after the first few times, he got in a routine. I would straddle him on the floor between my legs so he could not back away. I used the pill popper and then followed up with a little bit of water in the side of the check gently to help wash down. He was on meds for along time. he actually got in a routine where he would just lay on the bed and I could pill him with no fuss. hugs n head smooches. you are great mum.

@Sheldon13 shared this product in a previous post.

1610468386530.png

1610468121705.png

Last edited:

Sheldon13

Staff member
I actually had to get my vet to send a script for the pimobendan to Wedgewood pharmacy so they could get it in a capsule form me. Ellie had a hard time with the chewable ones. I like to get everything in capsule form or if they are ¼ or ½ a tablet I will squeeze them into #3 or #4 capsules. Then the truck fit he is I would put the capsule in the pill gun, then dip the tip in olive oil. This made them very slippery so they slide right down the thrust easy. If you try to give them dry they stick to the mucous membranes and the cat won’t be able to swallow them sometimes.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

AlliHille

Lairian
Thank you all! These are some helpful tips. I have been trying everything and he always just looks at me like I'm making him so sad after giving him his meds.

Sheldon13

Staff member
I had to give cuddles to my girl for a while after giving meds for the first several months. I would have her forgive me by reconvincing her how much I love her.

Love and Sphynx ~ It’s all you need

Back