Meet Meecho

Discussion in 'Introductions!' started by kalliee129, Apr 7, 2009.

1. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $453.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    My story starts with a very sad beginning. It all started when I came home from my vacation from Paris. When I got home and started to get back in the swing of things I noticed my cat Midnight seemed to be skinner then his normal 25 pounds. He was a very large muscular black cat that was double the size of our Pekinese dog. I took him to the vets because he had formed a large bump on his left cheek. After his visit they decided that he had an over active salivary gland and put him on some medication. He was too dehydrated to get a sample out that day so he had an appointment for more tests the following week. After the sample was pulled they advised me that he had the beginning stages of cancer but it was lucky that we caught it so soon. I was just learning to cope with the fact that my ten year old baby wasn't going to live as long as I had dreamed he would. They told me that with treatments they could give me at least two more years. I was learning to accept that. Little did I know that less than a week later on December 2, 2008 I would have to put him down. He had stopped eating and drinking and now only weighed 7 pounds. They offered to put a feeding tube in for me, but at that point who was I helping. So I made the hard decision. After Midnight was gone I didn't want another pet. I didn't want him to think that I didn't love him or was trying to replace him. Well my family had other ideas and after watching me lay in bed for two days they took me to the shelter to find a new family member. After a week of searching at several shelters I wasn't able to find the one that would fit, or the one that would want to fit with me. For giggles I decided to do a search online for Sphynx cats. I'd always wanted one and swore that one day I would have one. Little did I know the amount of work it would take to find one in the DC area or that sphynx's cost so much. After I decided that it was to close to christmas I was just going to have to wait until after the holidays to see if I could afford to purchase one then. My mother had other ideas and decided this was to be my christmas gift and to keep looking. I had contacted some breeders and was narrowing my search when I came across an ad on a web site. The owner was moving into a much smaller home and was unable to keep the new sphynx kitten they had just purchased. I saw the picture and fell in love. I stared at the picture on and off for over a week but never made the call. I figured there was no way she was still available, not after two weeks of being posted. On my previous calls I had learned how very quickly a kitten is sold when it is available. One day I decided that it wouldn't hurt to call and was totally shocked to find she was still there. My call was on a Wednesday night and I was on my way to New York City to pick her up that Saturday! I could barely contain my excitement, but as much as I knew how much I loved her already I wouldn't take her if she didn't want me. It was important to me that she would feel a bond as well. As soon as I saw her and she let me pick her up I was sold. I was so shocked at how small she was and when I got her home I was actually scared to let her out of my room for fear that she would get lost. Here we are several months later and leaving for work in the morning is the hardest thing I have to do. I spend all day at work thinking about her and wishing I was at home. Nothing makes my day brighter then to walk in that door after a long day and have her come running to me and give me a big kiss. I share her photos with anyone who will take a glance at them and she loves to go out with me. She is the talk of the town as not many people have ever seen a sphynx cat up close. I cherish every moment she chooses to spend with me and know what a blessing she is. That is except when she decides it's time to play at 2am and on mommies head no less! :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

2. admin

adminAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
    $289,229.22
    Ratings:
    +18,110
    • Pig
    • Venus Fly trap
    • Black Sphynx
    • Skull head
    Hi,
    What a great story.Im so happy you found another cat you could love and cherish again.Sorry for your loss.As sphynx owners we all know how special these little martians are.Please post some pics of meecho in the albums section for all to see.I like a picture to go with the story.Thanks so much for sharing,you will meet a lot of special sphynx and owners on sphynx lair.
    enjoy!:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

3. ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLocoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,548.20
    Ratings:
    +993
    The kitty gods shut one door and open another. Awesome story. I've always wanted a giant kitty. 25 pounds. Wow.

I was one of those people who forked over quite a bit for my little buddy. I have a history of making bad decisions but deciding to spend a significant amount on a cat wasn't one of them. Sounds like your kitty and my kitty are about the same age. Welcome to the club. I look forward to seeing and hearing more tails of Meecho.

4. kalliee129

kalliee129Senior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $453.02
    Ratings:
    +56
    Actually just this Sunday I was watching your adventures of giving Butterball a bath. Boy does it bring back fun memories :) It was reassuring to know that I wasn't the only sphynx owner who's cat didn't take to the bath as easily as the other videos on youtube. To say I was incredibly jealous of the ones who played in the water and there was mine who's only purpose was to claw the crap out of me, well it gives me hope!

5. ElGatoLoco

ElGatoLocoV.I.P Lairian V.I.P Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
    $2,548.20
    Ratings:
    +993
    The thought never crossed my mind to clip his nails before the bath. Also, wearing armor like a thick sweater or a few t-shirts worked very well. It may be hot, but it cuts down on the battle scars.

• Like Like x 1
    • ilovemysphynx

ilovemysphynxAdministrator Staff Member

Sphynx Bucks:
      $6,141.16
      Ratings:
      +3,088
      • Fish
      • Dragon fly
      • Candy
      Oh my you and butterball really make us laugh! Yes cutting nails first does help!

• Maximus

MaximusSenior Lairian Senior Lairian

Sphynx Bucks:
      $383.00
      Ratings:
      +45
      What a great touching story! I feel the same way everyday, filled with anticipation to get home and see my boy!