Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Meet our Peach! Tips on house introduction are needed.

QueenPeach

Lairian
Hi all,

My name is Anna, and my baby here is Queen Peaches (Peach). I've been studying posts in this community for a while, and as a first-time Sphynx owner, I so appreciate you all! Now that she finally arrived at our home last night, I think it is time for me to introduce her formally. It's nice to meet you lovely people! <3
As a first-time Sphynx owner, I have many anxieties about making sure she is happy and healthy. Our breeder asked us to keep her confined to one room for two weeks and then slowly introduce her to the house. That means she is sleeping alone in our dark office for two weeks. Last night I was so worried about her I could barely sleep. She has a heated bed and water in the room, but I worry that she will get sad because of loneliness, especially being just separated from her first family. We cannot get another pet yet, so I wonder how we can keep her happy and entertained while we are busy with work in the other room or at night. Any suggestions on house introduction?

Any tips and encouragement are much appreciated!

Thank you!

IMG_1061.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1052.jpg
    IMG_1052.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 13

Genferguso

Lairian
Welcome! I am actually getting my first furless baby in 12 days!! (I am very excited if you can't tell lol) So I sadly dont really have any advice but I do want to say Peaches is the absolute cutest! Do you have a play pen? You could try bringing her into the other rooms with you in that as a start if you want to introduce her to the house slowly.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@QueenPeach , welcome to the lair family... happy adorable peach Gotcha. members will certainly chime in with tips. highly recommend kitty proofing for life... cords, blind cords, plants, etc. I did slow intros with my adult adoptees. @Sheldon13 and others can chime in with kitten suggestions for introducing to home.
so glad you joined us..look forward to lots of pics and tales.
the sphynx info center for great threads on sphynx life. we are here for you!

hugs n head smooches

pussiette

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@QueenPeach , welcome to the lair family... happy adorable peach Gotcha. members will certainly chime in with tips. highly recommend kitty proofing for life... cords, blind cords, plants, etc. I did slow intros with my adult adoptees. @Sheldon13 and others can chime in with kitten suggestions for introducing to home.

hugs n head smooches

Sphynx Proofing tips

What did you have to kitty proof in your home that you didn't except to have to?

What did you have to kitty proof in your home that you didn't except to have to?

RABALDER Cable tidy, white, 5 m - IKEA

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to Sphynxlair. My goodness that little girl is so cute! The first couple of weeks my husband and I took turns sleeping in the spare room with our last kitten, so I know your anxiety well about them being alone. The playpen idea mentioned is great advice.

QueenPeach

Lairian
Welcome! I am actually getting my first furless baby in 12 days!! (I am very excited if you can't tell lol) So I sadly dont really have any advice but I do want to say Peaches is the absolute cutest! Do you have a play pen? You could try bringing her into the other rooms with you in that as a start if you want to introduce her to the house slowly.
Thanks so much for your reply! So excited for you! Waiting for a furless baby is excruciating for sure :)

Peach is so curious about the world. Keeping her in the office is so challenging, she wants to run out every time we opening the door :D will have to start introducing her to the house slowly soon.

Can't wait to see your baby!

QueenPeach

Lairian

hugs n head smooches
Thank you so much for your warm welcome! I am in process of removing wires but I do have 5+ plants in each room :) going to spray all plants with diluted orange oil to deter her once she is set free around the house.

QueenPeach

Lairian
Welcome to Sphynxlair. My goodness that little girl is so cute! The first couple of weeks my husband and I took turns sleeping in the spare room with our last kitten, so I know your anxiety well about them being alone. The playpen idea mentioned is great advice.
Thank you so much! Sleeping with her might be a good solution too. I just really don't want her to get sad :0

MaddieP

Lairian
Hi Anna, what an absolutely gorgeous little girl! Congratulations on getting Queen Peach. Do you have other animals you're introducing her to, or is it just the house in general? If you do have other critters, we'd love to see them too!

When I got my little man we had three other furry cats, and it was an adjustment for sure. My Maine coon mix still doesn't care much for my boy over a year later, but the others have adjusted well.

Congratulations again, and we can't wait to see her grow up!

QueenPeach

Lairian
Hi Anna, what an absolutely gorgeous little girl! Congratulations on getting Queen Peach. Do you have other animals you're introducing her to, or is it just the house in general? If you do have other critters, we'd love to see them too!

When I got my little man we had three other furry cats, and it was an adjustment for sure. My Maine coon mix still doesn't care much for my boy over a year later, but the others have adjusted well.

Congratulations again, and we can't wait to see her grow up!
Hi Maddie! No other critters yet. But hoping to get Peach a friend someday :)

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
I don't think I understand...are you leaving her in a room all day? That seems kind of rough for a new kitten that's been taken from momma and siblings. What I do with a new cat is I give him/her a room, but I also let them take turns. In other words, I let the new cat have the run of the house some and put the resident cats in the room. That way they get familiar with each other's scent. Also, I feed them with the door to the room cracked open so they can see each other through the crack. This is to help them get used to each other and trust each other. And lastly, I also do what @Catzzzmeow said and sleep in the room with the new cat.

Whatever you can fit into your routine will help them become friends faster. Kittens are very easy to ne honest; the issue is the current cats accepting the new kid on the block.

QueenPeach

Lairian
I don't think I understand...are you leaving her in a room all day? That seems kind of rough for a new kitten that's been taken from momma and siblings. What I do with a new cat is I give him/her a room, but I also let them take turns. In other words, I let the new cat have the run of the house some and put the resident cats in the room. That way they get familiar with each other's scent. Also, I feed them with the door to the room cracked open so they can see each other through the crack. This is to help them get used to each other and trust each other. And lastly, I also do what @Catzzzmeow said and sleep in the room with the new cat.

Whatever you can fit into your routine will help them become friends faster. Kittens are very easy to ne honest; the issue is the current cats accepting the new kid on the block.
Thank you for your kind reply! To clarify, we don't have any other animals in the house. She is the only one :) Our breeder said that we should introduce our new kitten to the house slowly and keep her in one room for the first two weeks. So we are doing just that.

Peach is in one room (office) all day and night, we are with her most of the time, but she sleeps alone in a heated bed at night. Each time we open the door to come in, she is very curious about getting out of the room, and sometimes she even runs out to the hallway to scope it out. So my question is...is it time to let her roam the rest of the house? (it's been 4 days) We'll have to keep an eye on her all of the time since she is so curious about everything ;) might be hard given that we have to work and study. Any tips are much appreciated!

And here is a photo update:

Attachments

• peach.JPG
    peach.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 16

MaddieP

Lairian
I would introduce her to just one new room at a time during breaks in work and studying. That way she's familiarizing herself with a new space and being watched. She really is adorable!

Condo commando

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
@QueenPeach ok now I'm following what you're saying!

I suggest cracking open the door to her room about 6 inches. Don't force her to come out but let her decide to come out on her own if she wants to. The timing varies with every cat. Some cats will come up to the doorway and step out a little bit then turn around and go back in the room. But some are adventurous. Some really just want to be with people. So my suggestion is to let her decide.

She's so cute!

Back