Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Meet Shade (also need help!)

LadyZephyr

Lairian
Hi everyone! We went to go visit my second little baby last night, and man is she gorgeous :) I'll be uploading a photo album later tonight with all of her lovely pics in, but here's a couple for now, hopefully she will be coming home on 2nd or 3rd week in August depending on her healing. My partner and I are so excited to be getting our second bald baby :) And I'm especially excited for Bluebelle getting a play buddy :) (plus my feet will get some relief from the biting and scratching lol)

Now here's the bit where I need your guys advice. I commented on one of the other babies in the litter, which was a gorgeous white boy with blue eyes, and then pouted at my other half and said 'Maybe we can have a pink one next...'. To which I got a dissapproving glare as if to say 'No, 2 is enough'. The breeder laughed and she said it was funny I mentioned that because the kitten she kept back from Bluebelle's litter to breed with (she's doin a breeding program :) she thinks may be deaf.... She's a white girl with blue eyes! She's gonna get tested next week and if she turns out to be deaf the breeder will not use her in her breeding program and therefore will need to rehome her (to be honest, she brought her down and I had a cuddle, and she does appear to be deaf =/). The breeder suggested we could take her home also, which I would JUMP at the chance of doing because she is so beautiful and loving. My partner isn't that keen though because he seems to think that the breeder would charge full price for her (Which we can't afford, not after buying 2 of the little cuties in 2 months). What are your guys thoughts on this? Because it would be amazing to have one of Bluebelle's actual sisters as well as her half sister :) And can the breeder charge full price for her if she's deaf? I would assume not but I'd like to have some kind of reasoning to give to her if I was to ask for a lower price... (like free LOL). Also how different is it caring for a deaf baldie compared to a normal one, do we need to do anything differently?

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 40
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 40

marlene

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
I've never had a deaf pet so I can't give advice on that. But as for the breeder, just be honest and tell her that you can't afford to buy a third kitten and see if she makes you an offer?

xxx_phoenix_xxx

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
i wouldnt be able to give any advise on the care of a deaf cat but i'm sure the breeder could give you some if you did decide to take it on :ThumbsUp:
congrats on the new kittie she is beautiful xx:Laugh:

ilovemysphynx

Administrator
Staff member
Great pictures!:ThumbsUp: I love her!

As for the deaf kitten, I have never had a pet that could not hear but my uncle had a dog he rescued from the pound once and it was about 2 when he got it. They never told him the dog could not hear but after a few days and conformation from the vet he found out the dog could not hear. He went to a few classes with the dog and they where both taught some sign language and the dog was just wonderful.
That being said I think a dog that cannot hear would be much harder than a cat. An indoor cat should be able to live a very happy comfy life with sight and smell. As far as price I would tell the breeder that 2 cats is not in your budget now and feel her out to she what she says.
Being a breeder myself I would most likely keep that one because I am a sucker for the underdog, but if I chose not to keep it I would find it a wonderful home, and do not see how I could charge any thing for it. If someone is willing to give it a nice happy home, like yourself. She just needs to be careful because if it is free or a drastically low price and you do not take it she will have every nut job around wanting it because it is a cheap sphynx. This baby will require a bit of extra care and would have to stay with its original owner for its entire like, rehoming after some time could be very hard on the kitty in this case.

susi794

Staff member
I was the proud owner of a deaf Great Dane that was the best dog I have ever had. We communicated with a few signs and I got her attention by stomping on the floor and she would feel the vibrations. I should think a deaf cat would be very easy. If she was born deaf, then she doesn't know any other way. She can navigate her world with sight and smell, and will come to her people when she wants to or needs to. I would imagine that she would come when everyone else did if she had cat siblings. If I were you, I would jump at the chance to bring the little darling home. Tell the breeder that you would love to take her home and give her a wonderful life, then just flat out ask her if she will be giving her to you or if she is planning on charging for her, because money is definitely an issue.

LadyZephyr

Lairian
Thanks for all your responses :) Yeah money is definitely an issue for us at the moment so once she gets BAER tested next week we'll find out more, and if she is definitely deaf I'll have to pose the question to the Breeder straight away, it would be nice to get Shade and Liesl at the same time if she did become available. I just really hope she's free, or a token small amount... I would hate to have to say no to such a loving kitty :( If she does become available I'll be sure to post some pics of her, she's beautiful.

Fester

Senior Lairian
Senior Lairian
I have a friend with a deaf cat --named appropriately 'hush' hush is pretty much an ordinary cat.
There is only really one thing they have to be careful of with her, and that is when reaching out to pet her, one has to make sure she sees your hand coming.
If she doesn't see your hand before you touch her, it scares her and you either get scratched or she goes bolts across the room.

Oh yeah, the fun part is how noisy she is when she thinks she's being stealthy.

I think a deaf cat that's kept indoors wouldn't entail too much extra care.

Bella07

Banned
Aaawwww, first of all, Shade your new girl, is absolutely gorgeous! Her markings just make her eyes pop, so beautiful!

I have never had a deaf animal before either. I would believe that caring for a deaf dog is much more difficult compared to a deaf cat. (Especially since cats, don't need training and such) So, other than the fact that the white girl wouldn't hear you when you called, I don't think that there would be too much of a difference!

If I were you, I would adopt the 3rd Sphynx! But, only if the breeder made you a fantastic, and I mean a fantastic, deal. I would be honest with her, and let her know everything that you feel needs to be said! Whether it deals with the price, why you would adopt another kitty, the deaf part, etc....Hopefully she'll be more than willing to work with you, especially since she knows you'll be taking wonderful care of the babies.

Good Luck! Please let us know how it goes!

Candys

V.I.P Lairian
V.I.P Lairian
Congratulations on your new and beautiful sweetheart. I don't have any deaf cat experience either but I do think that with a Sphynx it would not be too difficult because the are good at eye contact which would make communication easier. Some breeders will bring down the price when you purchase 2 litter mates, and with a disability it seems that the price would be reduced more. Congratulations and good luck.:ThumbsUp:

MissMySphynxBoys

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Shade is beautiful. If the breeder offers Liesl for a reduced price, I would go for it. It would be an easy time to introduce a third kitten.

Your kitten is beautiful!!! I think it you want the wee kitten and she turns out to be deaf, be honest with her and tell her you would love to give her a wonderful forever home and all of the care she needs but that money is now a consideration and ask her what she was thinking of for a rehoming fee. It would be nice if she could come home with you :BigSmile:

ckutkuhn7

Banned
awww she is so cute!!! She reminds me so much of my Snuffie!!! I've never had a deaf pet but I've had friends with deaf pets and they were perfectly fine. They learned how to communicate with each other.

Back