Welcome to Sphynxlair! Connect with Sphynx owners & enthusiasts around the world!

Meowing when in the litter box

scots

Lairian
Hi Guys

My little boy (hes around 8 weeks in my house for 1 week) is adapting well to my house and hes very energetic and fun. He uses litter box since day 1 but he allways mwows a lot when hes in the sand, and sometimes digs 3 holes before he does his business. He then jumps out and stops with the mwowing.

Any tips on why this happens?

Thanks

Marco

Yoda mom

Staff member
@scots Hello , did he have a wellness check at your vet when you brought him home?

Was he dewormed from the breeder?

Always a good idea to get a base line and a good relationship with your vet-
**We can't treat or diagnosis here but can chime in with our experiences :)

Is he meowing when he peeing or pooping?
Is he getting any pee or poop out when he meows?
Do his poo hard or soft ? Any diarrhea?

Sometimes meowing in the kitty box can be a sign of a urinary tract infection or constipation
Is the meowing something new this week?

Watch for Frequent in and out of the box - numerous times within a minute even , meowing , straining to pee with little or no input definitely should be checked by a vet bcz kitties can get s blockage- easier to get so,e meds to clear it up right away .
Here is a pic to watch for when scooping the litter box
image.jpeg

It's a good reference - keep in mind yours is a baby kitty so maybe a wee smaller than the first big clump shown

What food is he eating? Dry ? Canned ? Both?

My young kitty was a little constipated so I gave her a little teaspoon of 100% pure canned pumpkin
( not the pie filling ) - just be sure to read the label as 100% pure pumpkin
Belows is a pic of the pure pumpkin in the US as a reference

Please let us know a little bit more detail :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    23.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

scots

Lairian
Thank you for your input

He meows when using the litter since he came (around 1 week) - i think he doest it for both peeing and poo

The urine clums are pretty normal (big ones)

He didnt like water much so i started adding water to his dry food

Yes i took him to the vet (he did only analisys on the ears, temperature, and neck checking with hands) the vet said he looks healthy (i didnt mention the meowing since i was there on the 3rd day of having my bald guy)

I think its a bit weird he makes so much holes and meowing like hes in pain, when he finishes he covers all and jumps outside stoping the meowing.

He sometimes bites his own tail, like he's ichy or something

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
Thank you for your input

He meows when using the litter since he came (around 1 week) - i think he doest it for both peeing and poo

The urine clums are pretty normal (big ones)

He didnt like water much so i started adding water to his dry food

Yes i took him to the vet (he did only analisys on the ears, temperature, and neck checking with hands) the vet said he looks healthy (i didnt mention the meowing since i was there on the 3rd day of having my bald guy)

I think its a bit weird he makes so much holes and meowing like hes in pain, when he finishes he covers all and jumps outside stoping the meowing.

He sometimes bites his own tail, like he's ichy or something

@scots, wasn't a stool sample brought to your vet to test for parasites? If not, I would get a sample over to your vet? Honestly, the meowing may or may not be anything to be alarmed about. There are some kitties that simply like to make announcements. But other time it can actually mean that the kitty is in some sort of discomfort. A vet checking this out would be the best idea without any guessing.
Please let us know what you find out, etc. @Yoda mom gave helpful information.

scots

Lairian
No samples were taken, the vet did use a desparasitation pill. I will take him to the vet and mention about this for further analysis.

Thank you

GoldHazel

Gold Lairian
Notable Member
No samples were taken, the vet did use a desparasitation pill. I will take him to the vet and mention about this for further analysis.

Thank you

@scots you are welcome, but try to take a stool sample with you as well. Best of luck and let us know what's what.

Yoda mom

Staff member
@scots, keep us updated :)
When my girl was young I swear she meowed just to meow and everything checked out fine :)
As she got older she stopped meowing

As long as it is 100% pure pumpkin no fillers it should be okay -

Catzzzmeow

Administrator
Staff member
Just be 100% no issues and if it continues consistently after that then don't worry. Our 3 year old boy screams each and every time he has to poop. Never a time he doesn't announcing the impending poop arrival. It can be quite embarrassing if on the phone nearby, or when company is here. They look at us like WTH IS THAT...and then we realize what they are taking about. To the point about a UTI, 2 times he has had one, and I could tell the difference in his cry.

Patti

Yoda mom

Staff member
@scots , checking in on your boy ..
Please keep us updated

Also, Is he biting his tail a lot or more like discovering he is a kitten growing up :)
Looking to play ?

Does he like to play with a pole toy like DaBird? ( be sure to put string toys away bcz they often chew parts amd swallow)

Cleos mom

Lairian
my baby girl meows in the litter box until I come look at it. Then it's fine lol..it's like she needs validation that she did the proper thing..haha

Back